Used 2016 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Basically a Van
By Falcon

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This Highlander is basically a mini-Van. A much less practical mini-Van. Not a "great" driver. Previously had an Infiniti FX35 which I thought was a great driving SUV - more like a sporty car. The wife thinks it's great, so that's all that matters. I will never purchase another, even if she loves it.

High on my highlander
By James Payne

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It has a very solid feel and is quiet when compared to other SUVs I have had. I haven’t had it long enough to attest to it’s reliability

Not a Lexus
By Scott R.

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the Highlander Platinum to replace my aging Lexus RX300 with extremely low mileage and almost no technology. I need to pull an enclosed trailer and the Lexus was only rated for 2000 lbs. I looked at everything available that could tow 5000 lbs and watched literally hundreds of video reviews. I've had trucks and I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm an SUV guy. I narrowed my search to the Mercedes ML and GLE, BMW X5, and the Highlander. I really like the Mercedes but reliability and high maintenance cost were are a major issue. With the only dealer around 40 minutes away, this would be a problem. Same goes for the BMW, very nice but high cost of maintenance and dealer location. Rear passenger entry for both the MB and BMW are difficult for adult men with feet larger than size 8. I wear a size 12 and they were both ridiculously difficult to get in and out of the back seat. On to the Highlander. On paper it ticked all the boxes; towing capacity, reliability, comfortable for 4 adults and their golf bags laid down sideways. I purchased the loaded Platinum with what I think is every option available. The good: Nice looking, visibility is very good. seats have heat, cooling and a lot of adjustment. Rear has heated seats and temperature controls along with a nice panoramic sunroof, and pull up privacy screens on the windows. Leg room is the best I've seen in any vehicle in its class. On to the not so good: Gas mileage is pretty dismal around town which is most of my driving. I'm not lead footed and I get around 15 mpg. Steering load seems opposite of what it should be, very light at high speed and as you brake / turn at lower speeds it gets heavier. The infotainment system is just horrible. The angle of the screen is not driver centric but sky sentric. During the day it's nearly impossible to read. This is compounded by the matt finish on the touch surface and terrible contrast. The knob controls are completely out of reach. I'm 6 foot and to reach the top right knob, I'm leaning nearly into the passenger's seat. I'm also getting errors from the parking assist sensors so electronics reliability is in question as well. This top-of-the-line model doesn't have LED headlamps! My 2001 RX had self leveling xenons that were awesome. The Highlander does have auto high-beams which actually work very well. Closing the front door has a tinny thunk to it that sounds terrible. My 1999 Wrangler has a more solid sound. The soft touch surface of the interior door handle is a little too soft. Like holding hands with a 90 year old lady. It's an odd feeling. All in all it's a solid vehicle and meets my needs but time will tell how long I hold onto it. Experiencing a little buyer's remorse at the moment.

When will Toyota get their navigation system right
By Tom Combs

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my Toyota. It's the second one I have purchased. However...The navigation system in the 2006 was poor and I would have to say the 2016 is worse! The mapping system is one of the most convoluted systems I have every used. The voice system only has one response "I'am sorry can you repeat that." We use our cell phone and Google maps because entering your destination is almost impossible using the voice system. The number of commands the system responds to is very limited and you have to say the command exactly right. Now the safety systems are great, and ride is comfortable. I just can't get over what a miserable navigation system this car has. Also it will not interface with Apple Car Play or Android drive and I am told almost all other cars do.

Poor: snow-ice control and inside parts
By DT

2016 Toyota Highlander LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like the comfort and technology of this vehicle. There are however two HUGE concerns: there are black plastic pieces from various places inside that are literally falling off. For as much as I paid for this vehicle brand new, it should not be falling apart. It does not handle in snow at all. I can not drive up my snowy drive way but other cars with front wheel drive can. This makes no sense.