Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

They got the Highlander right
By Bondo

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I liked it enough that I bought a newer one with the bigger engine and shiftable automatic. Sadly, the newer one, a Limited with electric power steering, does not handle as well as the older one.

Toyata Is a Tried and True Friend!
By Ken Sauer

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Buy a Highlander for Life-------- If you want a vehicle that is truly trustworthy; one you can rely on---this is it!

Best purchase of any sort I ever did.
By David Colton

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Super dependable, good mileage, generally user friendly. Great interior layout for comfort and utility. Can haul an amazing amount. Negatives are a bit too much road noise and poor visibility of deeply sunk in gauges and speedometer.

260K still going strong
By razcob

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very reliable car, and we have only replaced two oxygen sensors, other than normal wear items like brakes, etc. The only negative to this vehicle is the gas mileage. We are getting 18 mpg overall. The interior is holding up well, with a slight tear in the drivers seat. My daughter was in a rear end accident, and the bumper was ripped but the rear structure remained intact. The other car's front end was totaled, so we rate the safety in this type of crash as excellent.

What a pleasure to own for 15 yrs
By Rob

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As first owner, I just sold my 2003 Highlander. Got twice as much for it as I was expecting, and the car has been absolutely fantastic in terms of performance and low maintenance cost for its whole life so far. The only negative I would say was a fair amount of wind and road noise. I used the car for towing quite a bit, near its maximum 3500 pound rating. And I have to say it performed and handled tremendously well even doing that, and could climb good size hills no problem with no loss of power. Vehicle had OEM tow package. Price listed is price sold.