Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 314 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Best purchase of any sort I ever did.
By David Colton

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Super dependable, good mileage, generally user friendly. Great interior layout for comfort and utility. Can haul an amazing amount. Negatives are a bit too much road noise and poor visibility of deeply sunk in gauges and speedometer.

260K still going strong
By razcob

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very reliable car, and we have only replaced two oxygen sensors, other than normal wear items like brakes, etc. The only negative to this vehicle is the gas mileage. We are getting 18 mpg overall. The interior is holding up well, with a slight tear in the drivers seat. My daughter was in a rear end accident, and the bumper was ripped but the rear structure remained intact. The other car's front end was totaled, so we rate the safety in this type of crash as excellent.

What a pleasure to own for 15 yrs
By Rob

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As first owner, I just sold my 2003 Highlander. Got twice as much for it as I was expecting, and the car has been absolutely fantastic in terms of performance and low maintenance cost for its whole life so far. The only negative I would say was a fair amount of wind and road noise. I used the car for towing quite a bit, near its maximum 3500 pound rating. And I have to say it performed and handled tremendously well even doing that, and could climb good size hills no problem with no loss of power. Vehicle had OEM tow package. Price listed is price sold.

Bought used and loved it for 150000 miles!
By D Fig

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It's a great car!! It doesn't have the bells and whistles of today's cars but if you're looking for something reliable with little maintenance that drives like a dream this is the car for you.

It's a Toyota, 161,000 no issues, just keep going
By Nancy

2003 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update, now has 187000 mi. Purchased a 2017 RAV4, but kept the 2003 Highlander. The 14yr old Highlander is yet a better car than the new RAV. More comfort, drives as well, better visibility. We should have taken a better look at the new Highlander. Downside to the 2013 and newer Highlander is it's size. Thought a RAV would be a bit smaller, but turns out the new RAV is a tiny bit larger than the 2003 Highlander. Should have looked at the completion for better comfort that the RAV does not have.
This is a great car even for my short wife. Easy to maneuver, good visibility, plenty of room, decent MPG. Note that the 2003 had only a 4 sp
transmission. There has been two remakes of the Highlander since each one larger than the last. We are about to upgrade and will go to a RAV 4. The current RAV 4, 2013 > are now about the same size as this earlier 2003 Highlander. In 161000 miles we have only had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced. No other repair. Update, we now are at 183000 miles in Dec 2017 and still only the one issue with the wheel bearings. This SUV just keeps going. We have purchased a 2017 RAV4 and it is not a Highlander! My personal take is that the 2003 Highlander still is my choice over the 2017 RAV. The wife likes the RAV because of the safety features which is a plus. But the seats in the older SUV are better than the newer car. Mind you nether are great, just adequate. The power of the RAV 4cyl is better than the V6 of the Highlander. I am sure this is due to the improved transmission. The visibility over the hood of the RAV is impaired by the ridge over the fenders. the Highlander had a nice smooth taper to the hood which gave better visibility. If your are short this is an issue. And since the driver seat only goes up about 2" plus it tilts forward ejecting you out of the seat. I would look at the other competitors in the RAV4 class next time. But it was the wife's car and in the correct color.