Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Love the look and the ride
By Michele

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Solid SUV. Comfortable. Beats out other SUVs in style by miles.

Can you really have it all?
By Bob

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It went against every fiber in my being. The vehicle had moderate hail damage and high mileage. "No way", I said. "You should at least test drive it", the salesman pleaded. Reluctantly, I acquiesced. Wow! It was unlike anything I had ever driven. The heated leather seats felt wonderful on this brisk February afternoon. The whisper-quiet cabin was impressive. When I turned out of the dealership, the vehicle accelerated unlike any SUV I had ever driven. All of a sudden, those dents and miles didn't matter to me. Getting back and purchasing this beauty was now my top priority! This vehicle is so practical, roomy and comfortable that we now drive it on vacations instead of our minivan. I find the trip much less tiresome after long stretches on the road. I average 23 in the city and around 27-28 on the highway. Much of it depends on terrain and driving habits of course. The long and short of this review is, I now have a vehicle that comfortably transports my family, has plenty of pickup, looks great, and doesn't guzzle gas! Yes, you can really have it all!!

There is no perfect car....
By Rob A

...but this vehicle does a lot of things really well. Bought it w/ 22k and in three years we’re up to 140k with nothing other then basic maintenance. The hatch was replaced under recall as well as the hybrid system shortly after purchase, but it didn’t cost us a penny and Toyota service was very accommodating.

The ride is sturdy, well mannered (not floaty), and has plenty of power. The AWD is excellent in the northeast with Blizzaks. Visibility is excellent.

We love this one so much that we recently retired our Rav 4 in favor of a new highlander due to reliability and longevity while relegating this highlander to 2nd vehicle status.

If your all about the premier brands and don’t mind paying a premium, then that’s your prerogative. If you want value with more then enough convenience and creature comforts, with stellar reliability, then this is a worthwhile option.

Leaves you asking...why?
By Keith

I'm not a fan of this vehicle. People that think toyotas are the greatest thing will gladly overlook all of it's shortcomings, but I don't. It's an ugly car. The interior being the worst. You need a PHd to work the navigation system, for real! Most complicated and illogical system I've ever seen. Many of the interior items have broken, due to cheap plasticky materials. One door refuses to lock or unlock with the keyless entry system. One of the power outlets won't work. The tire air pressure monitor shows the tire pressures, but doesn't tell you which tire has which pressure. The radio doesn't sound great, and the interface of the touchscreen is painfully SLOW. Like watching paint dry, slow! The voice for the navigation is annoying and speaks comically slow, plus you can't turn her down. Even when you turn her volume down, she comes across at whatever volume she wants, like she has a mind of her own. Other than a lot of road noise and the steering wheel never being centered, it drives ok. The brakes do jerk and make noise every once in a while, I guess due to the "charging" thing they have. The mileage isn't good. I get about 20-21 on the hwy. There are full size SUVs that get that. I'm not sure that environmentalists have given enough thought to these hybrids. Other than the mileage being very average, soon I'm gonna have to replace the hybrid battery. Not only does it cost $4500 from the dealer, but where do you think these big ole batteries go when we get rid of them? Pretty soon we are gonna have a ton of these giant acid filled boxes that present a problem for our environment. So, this car will get you from point A to point B ok, but with so many options that are far superior to this, why would you choose this one?

Can you have refined and fun in same ride ...YES !
By studio1a

I shoot landscape Photography and an outdoors type of person, this Ride has it all.

The Sun/Moon roof with Sirius brings the Moon right in with the right Tunes.

You've got a class ride with built in luxury coupled with a frame and suspension that can take you Almost anywhere with the world in front of you, so instead of always letting your mind taking you on a trip, why not give your mind a rest, and you take it on a trip, let it rip !

27.6 mpg city 29+ mpg hwy

Heated seats add a refined comfort to the already this smooth Running, when Winter,Snow and Rain are at your door. The Sun/Moon roof with Sirius brings the Moon right in with the right Tunes.

* Maybe a bit more power/torque or ratio * Additional power outlets in rear * A Camping package, Ie; a connecting tent * A tow receiver Cap for the Bumper that blends in, like the Lexus 470