Used 2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Prizmgurl on an Actual Corolla
By PrizmGurl

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our Prizm driving days ended this year, as the '02 Chevy Prizm (Miss Bluebell) we still had was too rusty to last beyond one more year last fall, without fixing the rust somehow, like plates welded on. We could afford a replacement, so she was traded for the Corolla. Ours is slate, so we named her Willow. We don't like CVTs in anything bigger than a Spark or golf cart (not too much size difference between the 2), because they seem weak for anything larger. My mom can't drive a stick and isn't sure she could learn how at her age, so a 6 speed Corolla wouldn't work for her, just my dad and if he taught me how to drive it, me. She loves the car, but I'm afraid of doing something to the transmission because of the zigzag shift. I actually found the car on Edmunds in later June and my parents liked it, even though I thought my mom wanted to wait until now. My dad had the car in 3 instead of D driving home, but Willow was fine. She just didn't hit overdrive and was kind of rev-y. Because I liked Prizms better than Corollas until I was 16, I don't want to hurt Willow any more. She has 2 little chips in her door from my door hitting another car's door in a parking lot. A kid's door was open and the 2 open doors made contact. Unlike Prizms, Corollas have a Toyota badge and that made a difference when I was 5, perhaps,-16. When I was tiny (3or 4), I didn't care, but in elementary school, I believed my grampa who talked about Japanese junk, but my dad corrected me when I was 16. There's also a newer crease in the door skin, seemingly from a different parking lot incident. She came home with a scuffed trunk, from some loading or unloading apparently. Mechanically, she's fine. She had nearly 19,000 miles at purchase and is in the lower 20K's now. The oil was changed before we got her. Colleen, our Cobalt I reviewed on this site and have driven, has a straight shift, like Bluebell. I haven't driven Lucille, our Malibu I reviewed on this site, also. However, she has a straight shift like the 2 I have driven, so I would. If I had my own modern Corolla, I'd drive Luna (I'd get a silver one and name her Luna). But Willow's my mom's, so I'll let Mom and if he wants, Dad drive her. At least for now. Maybe I'll get over my issues with the zigzag and phobia of hurting her somehow. I know she seems good at this point, from my family's ownership of her and me riding in her some.

Great car for the price
By Scooby Doo

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This review is for the sport model. This has been a great car to me. As far a performance, I see no issues with acceleration or power when you understand most people purchase this car for reliability, longevity, and mpg. I'm in my 20s and regularly speed to work or hit 100+ mph no problem. You will sacrifice the advertise mpg when driving like this obviously. Nor am I recommending this type of driving since it's a corolla and not meant to run like that. The breaking is ok, but felt a little spongy and took a while to get used to. Also, there is a large throttle delay i dont care for. All in all, for a car to get me from point a to point b, the performance is good enough for me. Taking a test drive will decide for you. One thing to mention is the handling during snowy,rainy conditions is poor. So be careful, drive slow, accelerate slow, and brake early. I think this is due to the stock tires that come with it. After 35000 miles, I cant complain about the mpg I've gotten. When I drive conservative, i usually hit 35 country roads/in town or 40 hwy. Even when I'm driving like a top speed racer to work I hit around 30 average. The interior is ok. Some things like the middle console area feel cheap and loose, but i like the material the sport model uses for the seats and interior. The seat could be more comfortable for a 6+ foot person, but if you change the seat orientation and steering wheel orientation, it works ok. The one thing I wish was different was the right leg while driving could have more room. Even jammed up against the middle console, I feel its restricted. One last note, I'd say get the sport model as t least, the 17 inch wheels and more aesthetic rims make the car look so much better.

Good car for commuting
By Globaltrekkie

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have the 2016 automatic Corolla S. After a year and a half, I can say I am happy with the car. It is easy to drive and the controls are easy to use. Nothing fancy, but is is a Corolla. I do like the seats on the S. They are easy to clean. I think the interior is comfortable, however, I am 5’2”. This car is not for tall people. The gas mileage is good. I have gotten 400 mpg on the highway. The most annoying issues: The side mirrors fog up to the point I think it is dangerous. The a/c takes forever to cool and the vents are way too small, almost like it was designed for kittens. The mileage estimator is off by 50 miles. I was rear ended by a Hummer and the Hummer barely, barely tapped me and it sustained no damage. I had to get a new trunk lid and quarter panel. This car will not hold up against any larger in a crash, and considering it is a small car, I would not buy this car if I had children in the backseat on a regular basis.

Great car
By John

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Love this car for the price looks awesome and good fuel economy I've had a Camry with 224k on it that I traded for this car that ran perfect Toyota in my book is the best

3rd Toyota owned and so far so good
By WI winter lover

2016 Toyota Corolla Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car in LA and drove it back to WI, 2200 miles in 3.5 days. I'm a big guy, 6'3" . Seats fit me perfect. Better than my truck. Not sure why others say acceleration is slow. I'd hit it merging onto highways with a 75 mph limit and it was at and above the speed limit without punching it with no problems. That's with 2 in the car, truck filled with luggage and a cooler fill of ice. Car handled the hot desert and high winds and glided us home. 115 degrees in the desert and temp gauge never moved! Don't like the headlight or fan controls but other than that the long trip proved it to me. We averaged 34+ mpg driving around LA and the whole trip home. So far I like it better than our 07 Camry.