Skip to main content

4.63 out of 5 stars

Timing chain sprocket

Bob, 07/31/2008
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great comfort, ride, fuel economy, eye catching styling. At 40,000 miles I took it to the dealer for an engine noise. There was no check engine light on.They changed the belt tensioner. The moment I drove away the same noise was still there. The next week they found the timing chain sprocket's teeth were worn. They changed it. Two weeks later the engine quit on me. The timing chain came off, bent the valves and dented the a piston and damaged the cam. They rebuilt all changed all these with the timing chain sprocket being the culprit again. They couldn't tell me why the sprocket teeth keep stripping and if it will happen again.This is the 2.4l 4cyl engine.

The Best Car for the 21st Century

SIH, 02/11/2004
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I ordered this 4 cylinder Manual transmission car. After two and a half months of wait, I just got it. It is every thing one can expect. Smooth, quiet, refined, and fun to drive. Fuel economy statstics is fun to watch and very satisfying. I am gettin 28.5 mpg for city and highway diving in cold weather.

4.63 out of 5 stars

will keep forever

Joe, 04/17/2010
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used from a private party and, with its low mileage, low profile tires and after-market rims, I fell in love with it at first sight. I'm still in love with its manual transmission, plush ride and still-in-style good looks after five years of care-free driving. They say the Solara is a mature woman's car, but this honcho couldn't care less!

my 2000 Solara

Olympicluv, 08/02/2003
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a Solara for the past three years and I LOVE it. When it comes time again for another car I will be purchasing another Solara.

24000 Miles in 1.5 Years

adhoc, 09/15/2005
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After having this 5M 2dr SE sport for 18 months, I found the combination of its fuel efficiency and power was just ideal. This is my 15th car and I am pretty happy with 33-34 mpg on highway and acceleration after 40 mph. It runs like >200 HP on highway with a regular 2.4L 4-cyl engine. I had no problem since I got in Feb 2004.