2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Current Avalon commercial
By Motor city snoop

Promoting excessive speed.

For a Top-of-the line, Expensive car - no value!
By Neal

2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car when my 19-plus year old Olds Intrigue, which was in perfect running condition, was T-boned & totaled. I originally was interested in the Camry, but when I was told that "for just $100 more" I could own the Avalon, and given that the width was the same (but roomier inside) as the Camry, and just 2 in. longer, I figured this would be a no-brainer. The ride is incredibly smooth. BUT: visibility out the rear window is partically non-existant; The steering is very "soft" and took quite some time getting used to; The built-in GPS system is TERRIBLE ("Turn right" - doesnt specify, if there's more than one road/exit! north or south?); Although roomy, the front seats lack desirable cushioning - on a long drive (90 miles), I found myself continously squirming in my seat; Not enough room between the console wall & accelerator pedal making my foot uncomfortable - again, on prolonged rides. The 2018 Camry had a "Heads-Up" Display. This is supposed to be a step up from the Camry, but Heads-Up Display (which is really desirble - especially since adjusting the controls demand you take your eyes off the road) is NOT available - at all! My almost 20 year old car, one that was heavier, also w/ a V-6 got 21-22 mph, city/ 30-32mph highway. With all the new technology AND an "ECO" position, I am now getting 18 mph, city, & 23-24 mph Highway! TERRIBLE! Even though this is a Top-of-the-Line model, carpeting (interior and trunk) not included/ is EXTRA, as is the cargo net (three things that came with my Olds!). Only at my insistence, did the dealer add these items - no charge- BUT: the first time I used the cargo net (basic groceries), one of the fasteners BROKE! It was made of cheap plastic - again, not what you'd expect from a top model. I brought the car in for repair. The following week, the OTHER fastener BROKE! In 51 years, I have had only 5 cars but I regret that I purchased (via Toyota financing) this car rather than lease! At half the price, the majority (not including gas milage) of my complaints would be (somewhat) moot, but given this model and cost, I expect MUCH MORE than Toyota has designed into its "luxury" sedan (next step up is Lexus?). Bottom line: I'M VERY UNHAPPY and am looking to trade in (at a considerable loss, I'm sure) for something more to my liking within the next few months.

Avalon is the 70th bird at present to myself.
By J S

2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you want a full size car that has a great ride with great gas mileage, The Avalon hybrid is the car for you. consistently getting 37 to 40 miles to a gallon. the car has great pickup and if you want more shift into sport mode. This is our third Toyota I’m positive we will have a fourth.

Avalon is the 70th bird at present to myself.
By J S

2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So much luxury for a reasonable price!
By Mimi

2018 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Honda Accord driver for the past 11 years. No complaints whatsoever with the Accord. But no more 6 cylinder for Honda : ( so we decided to try a new Avalon instead. Dealership was great to work with. Got us exactly what we wanted. Black on black Limited just like the one featured in the literature. Beautiful car with loads of luxury. So far absolutely no complaints. Quiet understated dependability.