Used 1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Excellent car
By rosignol

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Purchased with ~98,000 miles on it, put ~20,000 more on it over two years. In that time, I had no mechanical problems with it at all- the car might as well have been new. It's not the most exciting car to drive- I nicknamed mine the 'boringmobile'. Pros: extremely reliable, good mileage, Cons: suspension feels a little mushy and the handling is only adequate. But it's a sedan, not a sports car, so that's okay. Unfortunately, the car was totaled in a collision with a Chevy Tahoe. The Toyota engineering team does good work, I was not injured (nor was anyone in the Tahoe). I start looking for another Avalon this weekend.

Reliability, mileage, amenities, roomy interior (I'm 6-6, and fit comfortably), spacious trunk.

Stiffer suspension, tighter handling, thicker windshield glass.

So good, you will be bored...
By deanstayton

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

There is no doubt this is an incredible vehicle. It is smooth, reliable and fast (for a daddy sedan). It has many creature comforts and even gets 26 mpg. hwy consistently on 87oct. I drive a Platinum Ed. XLS and mile for mile this car has been the best used vehicle I have purchased (read- least expensive to maintain for the ride quality). Purchased in late 08 for 5900- w/113k miles. Clean as a whistle this is proving to be quite the deal. The mid-life crises sport coup-loving man bemoans the dull exterior looks and cushy drive. This inner teen wants to buy an RSX or TC, but I can not justify selling such a great car. The practical man in me loves every boring bit of this machine.

1. Big things don't break. Outstanding engine/tranny performance and reliability. I love the firm-fitting, no-rattling, nothing-ever-leaking, htr/ac always on, seat warmer working Toyota quality. These are the cars that buried the domestic auto makers, and if you find one well cared for you understand.

No doubt the exterior is generic personified. New Avalons have the cool quirky exterior goin' on-but not the 99. They are as plain as grandma's meatloaf. No spice or head turning wow. Just like the loaf-you can't complain. So if you buy one beware there will be no justifiable reason to ever upgrade.

Avalon's a Keeper
By nbeiii

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife (5k-10k miles/year). Now it's my commuter car (25k+ per year; mostly highway but hard-driving miles). Getting high 20's gas mileage. Comfortable, very reliable, very stable (once I had struts & strut mounts replaced) - even at 70-85 mph. Perfect size (smaller than new Avalons) - small enough to get in & out wherever I need to go, big enough to be comfortable & feel safe. Currently 125k miles; I expect 200k+. The car is worth more to me than trade value. Back seat not huge, but not cramped. Large trunk. Strut mounts were the only significant non-wear repairs I have made. If you can buy a well-maintained one for cheap, do it. It will hold up.

Size of car. Interior comfort. Tightness of ride.

Make new ones just like this.

Great Vehicle
By Silver Ride

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Great and reliable vehicle. I drive 40k miles per year and only mechanical issue was to replace a starter once. I expect to get another 150k miles. One negative is I have had to replace the struts twice . I wish I had seen this page years ago as I had front noise for years that turned out to be the front strut holder that I finally had diagnosed and replace. Also the only safety issue is that the vehicle does not require you to put it in park first before you remove the key so that the vehicle could roll if you forget to put it in the park position.

Great Ride. Plenty of room.

Avalon '99
By howard hurtig

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Great car; no trouble except for a dead battery after 8 years of ownership and a failed starter after 6 years of ownership.

smooth ride, interior comfort and roominess, trunk space

better mileage