2019 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

$35,310

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Not as comfortable as the Highlander we traded in

Phillipok , 09/02/2019
SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So we had a 2015 Toyota Highlander that was roomy, comfortable and powerful and traded it for a new 2019 Forerunner SR5. We test drive the Forerunner twice but didn’t drive it far enough as on the way home from the dealership we found the front and rear seats weren’t as comfy. The seating position is odd too which doesn’t help, it feels like your sitting on the floor with your legs straight forward ! The engine is OK, but feels labored the whole time, especially when starting off from scratch or when driving up a steeper hill. The Highlander has an electric rear hatch closing button, the Forerunner doesn’t have that and we really miss it as the rear hatch is heavy and well strutted. It’s hard to say this as it sounds stupid but the Highlander has more room for the front and rear seat passengers. Admittedly the rear storage area is bigger on the Forerunner but it’s just not comfortable to drive or ride in over longer distances. It also seems the 4 doors crowd sideways into your seating area, sit in one and you will see what I mean. Fuel economy isn’t great either. I’m sure it’s off-road capabilities are good but it’s ride is harsh on rough blacktop roads, especially at speed and the steering takes some getting used to as the vehicle feels twitchy.

Helping my daughter shop!

Brantley Davidson, 07/14/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was helping my daughter shop for a new Toyota 4 Runner. She knew exactly what she wanted, but hates dealing and haggling. I researched the car, looked for what she wanted, shopped the internet for best pricing with NO trade. A bit of looking but found the perfect matching car, called to see if it was in stock, it was and off to the races. She looked, drove and it was the car, so Papa starts the deal maker. She was happy, (me too) made the deal, and of course I helped with the down payment and off to enjoy her new ride. Thanks for the input and help "EDMUNDS", A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE GOES A LONG WAY.

Honest SUV

John, 10/15/2019
SR5 Premium 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota delivers on everything a SUV should be a solid ride plenty of passenger and cargo space and the reliability credentials many automakers envy

Ad
Build Your 4Runner
Select Color:

First 4Runner - love it!

Steve, 12/19/2019
TRD PRO 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Saw a 2019 TRD pro in voodoo blue on the dealers off road set up and had to have it. Replaced a 2017 Honda Pilot elite. There were many things I did not like about the pilot, auto-stop, lane keeping assist, lane departure, the ride was too soft, etc... the list goes on. The 4 runner is exactly what I was after. The engine stays on at stop lights, I do all the changing of lanes, I decide when to brake etc... No crossover here! Back to basics in true truck fashion in a gorgeous package. "the wife isn't crazy about the blue". It is a blast to drive. Yes - gas mileage is not good. I knew that going in to it. If you want great gas mileage - buy a Prius. And as for reliability - as the saying goes "If you want to go out to the outback, buy a landrover. If you want to get home from the outback - buy a Toyota"

Like the 4Runner but I was disappointed

Kevin Scherff, 08/02/2019
SR5 Premium 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a 4Runner for 15 years and I really wanted to buy another but it's really difficult when you compare it to other options. Ride was not terribly smooth but that's to be expected because it's a truck. Infotainment screen is small compared to it's competitors. Virtually no safety features like you find in our comparable vehicles. Fuel mileage is the worst.