Used 2012 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Tickled pink
By Dennis

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Very reliable and easy to use. No recalls.

4 year owner
By Mike

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I meant to write a review an year back but I guess now that I have more experience.

Pros: Good visibility, simple radio with volume knobs and features that were easy to accustom to after a 97 Honda, generally reliable aside from a cracked rubber bearing that was causing vibrations, blue background light around speedometer and tachometer is cool. I hate when they put red needles in the steering column display.

Cons: plastic vibrates in colder weather in dash, ride is smoother compared to my old Honda but new ones have better ride. Seats have bad clothing which started to show threads right after a month of use unlike my Honda. The volume label below the knob also disappeared within a month. Doors are hollow and NVH is high. I had to get the dealer to install more insulation in the body as even gas smell git in at my first gas station trip. Doors are hollow. Finally, the dealer gave crap but I finally paid to get the alignment done so I am not afraid to fishtail in winter. Subaru also needs to put better tires for a well known AWD company. Resale is down but then it isn’t a Toyota.

2012 forester
By craig

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Door/ fender metal is a bit soft, dents easily from parking lot with people opening their car doors and hitting it

1/2 jeep 1/4 tow rig 1/4 sports car.
By Jason

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

after 2.5 years of ownership, and pushing this little SUV to its limits and beyond, I have to say it fits my needs to a tee. Coming from a 99 528i bmw, and a 99 jeep cherokee (for deep snow and 4x4 jaunts) I was skeptical of the claims of a good handling SUV, with good ground clearance, and the ability to tow more than 1000lbs. All the claims are true, while not a bmw, this little crossover approaches the road quite well, steering is responsive, and body roll is minimal. as well as being able to tackle small offroad obstacles. mostly unimproved roads, with medium rocks, ruts, and shallow mud. I have put over 60k hard miles on this little suv, and towed a camper, and an enclosed trailer with two sport ATV's. both of which are over the recommended trailer weight rating (3000lb and 2800lb respectively) I liken it to a dual sport motorcycle. while not great on the road, nor great off road, the compromises are worth it. with the extreme duty I have put this rig through, there have been a few hiccups. I have had to at 40k replace all the brakes, and at 82k (now) had to replace the clutch throw out bearing, lower control arm bushings, and all the idler pulleys on the engine. mostly due to offroad use, and towing a trailer. other downsides of the base model are smallish brakes, which on road, and with modest spirited driving are adequate. however are very under powered while towing a trailer over the manufacturer rated 1000lbs. They are, however adequate to good with trailer brakes and required brake controller. I have yet to see a "stupid" problem with this SUV. I work it more often than your average subaru driver, and it always gets me where I need to go.

Almost perfect
By Jojo wolf

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is great for winter, is very safe. The only thing a person might not be too big of a fan of is the interior design. But other than that no complaints