Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Be Smart
By D. Person

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have 173,000 miles on a 2009 Passion. The vehicle is excellent for what it was designed for. Any comments about the transmission being jerky is based on not knowing how to drive the car. As for the hwy, if any one out there has driven a VW Van before, the Smart Car is much more stable. If you do not like the buffeting from trucks, just roll down the windows and it will minimize it. You can make the ride better by making the tires the same size all around and putting on the next size up in a soft snow tire. Buying a used Smart Car for less than $7,000.00 is better than buying a motorcycle. The only draw back is the support Mercedes gives these cars. I am fortunate enough that I do my own maintenance. Best run around car I have owned in my 50+ years in driving.

Love it So Much, I named it Smarty Jones ....
By Beth

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Drive it and then decide for yourself. I did and once driven knew it was the car for me. It can be parked almost anywhere, gets about 40 mpg city/hwy. Fuel efficient and lots of fun to drive!

I've been driving "Smarty" since September 2015, and still am in love with it. Folks ask me about it all the time, questions like is it safe? Does it get good mileage, what about highway driving? Of course, being in love with this car, my comments to others include how it's a great little car for doing neighborhood chores but it also does well driving on the Interstate Hwy. in spite of its small stature. I've recommended it to many who are looking for a fuel efficient car that does not cost an outrageous amount of money to keep road ready. I STILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better than expected - would buy a Smart again.
By R.B.

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The good:
• A breeze to park. I actually LOVE when it's time to find a parking space, since it can fit in leftover 1/2 spaces where other cars can't fit. If I ever switch to a full sized car, this is the #1 thing I will miss.
• Great gas mileage. Driving around town and running errands, I can usually go 2+ weeks on a tank.
• Gas fill-ups are quick and CHEAP.
• Can go longer between oil changes. Manual advises to use synthetic and go up to a year between changes.
• Great acceleration from complete stop.
• Surprisingly good handling in snow. Its rear wheel drive and the engine is in the rear, so that is good for traction in the snow. There have been a few occasions where I've driven to work in several inches of snow. I've never been stuck (knock on wood) or felt like my Smart was out of control.
• The car doesn’t use much electricity. I've left the headlights and dome lights on overnight and it has always started.
• No one volunteers me to be a taxi, or to use my vehicle to help them move.

The not so swell:
• There is a perception of Smart cars not being real safe for regular freeway commutes. It doesn't 'feel' unsafe when I drive on freeways. It just doesn't give me the confidence and safe feeling I might have in a larger vehicle.
• It doesn't recover its speed once you're slowed down on steep uphill roads. Once you slow down on a hill, that is as fast as you're going.
• On uninterrupted driving over say, 60 miles, the engine gives off a slight burning smell. I don't know if mine has an issue or this is normal. It doesn’t seem to be a problem, but I try to avoid taking it on long trips often.
• It could use a 'wall' between the rear cargo area and seat backs. Unsecured items slide forward and fall under the seats.
• No spare tire/donut. The upside is that the tires are so small that I just carry a high psi hand pump (looks like a bicycle pump) in the cargo, which is sufficient to put enough air in the tire to drive it to a repair place.
• Its skinny-ness is great for parking, but when I take it through the automatic wash, only the driver side tires get washed. The tire wash on the passenger side misses the tires.
• National service franchises don't work with Smarts enough. There is usually confusion over where the engine is, and how to get to it. This resulted in one of them breaking the thumb lever off the rear cargo hatch.
• Not a huge selection of tires for this car. I found 2 brands, and only limited tire stores carry them.

A car that keeps giving!!!
By Dr. Chris Hahn, Beverly Hills, CA

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Hello. Sept 2016, My car is a 2009. New in Sept of that year. Now 90k on it and still as good as the day I drove it off the lot. It becomes part of you. No other car in my 50 years of driving had done that!! It is just a fun car to drive in the city or on a long road trip.

A car that keeps giving!!!
By Dr. Chris Hahn, PHD