Used 2008 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion tC Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Not My First Choice But the Better Choice!
By B Hudson

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In March 2016, I purchased a damn 2008 Scion tC w/5 speed manual transmission. I do not think highly of the dealership I purchased it from but the car has been a great decision so far. I was not comfortable making yet another purchase on a car over 100k miles. The vehicle had 122k when I purchased it and now it is at 128k. I am surprised the car is in almost flawless condition. The body is in mostly good shape. I can tell the previous owner was not the best driver based on a few dings around the body. The rear bumper clear coat is completely gone. I am estimating that I will have to repaint the rear bumper. The car has been in Florida its entire life and I can tell the vehicle has never been waxed...ever. Dangerous never to wax here. I know Toyota and Honda have questionable paint qualities but waxing it once in a while will help! Since I have owned the vehicle I have flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat (no leaking, no overheating), two oil changes, new tires, new brakes and rotors, throttle cleaning. I plan on replacing the spark plugs soon. The only major mechanical issue with the car occurred a few weeks ago after I performed my brake change. The vehicle lost all oil. After running a check, the oil valve cover casket went out. It does not appear to be a common problem based on what I am told but it does happen. I am estimating I does am right at 30 miles per gallon on fuel, higher than EPA Estimates. I am not thrilled with the acceleration of the vehicle but it gets the job done. The manual transmission is easy to operate, mostly smooth shifting. Because of the electronic throttles they use in cars now, there is a slight lag on second gear, be prepared for it if you leave the car off for hours and start driving. The sound system is great, I wish the car had Satillite Radio which may end up installing myself. Except for the basic maintenance I just mentioned, the vehicle has required little maintenance! I would recommend using HID headlights instead of the factory headlights. The factory lights have a limited range. Expect to fill up with $30. Do not expect a racing machine from the tC but it is a fun car to drive, comfortable, not cramped for a two door. I would never bother driving the 4 speed automatic version of this car as it would be boring and full of problems. Stick with the manual, be gentle on it and it will be reliable for a long time.

Well-balanced car for the price
By sushi714

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Scion tC brand new in December of 2007 and still feel pretty satisfied with it! I'm not sure if there was a better deal out there when I purchased this vehicle, but it provided the best balance between price, style, performance, and reliability (knowing that it came from the Toyota family of brands). Still in great condition, so haven't had to do anything except the usual maintenence as suggested by Scion. Prefer ANT10 series (2009 and previous years) due to change to a more "boring" interior with the AGT20 (2010 - current) series.

STANDARD panoramic moonroof, Pioneer sound system (w/ subwoofer), 17" wheels, and keyless entry! Yes, all of that is STANDARD EQUIPMENT (well, on the Base model, anyway)!!!

The trunk latch definitely needed a redesign, but I haven't seen many reports of any of the AGT20 series (2010 to current) having this issue. Better paint or at least a few more coats of paint would definitely be great, as I swear there's only 1 layer of paint on the car.

Great value for your money - looking for a first car?
By iron112

2008 Scion tC Spec 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The TC was my first car. The TC offers outstanding value for the price.
You'd end up paying 3-4k more in other cars for the same features that are present in the TC - all with Toyota reliability. This car is more about a balance of features rather than pure muscle. Despite it's modest engine, it handles well.

As a bonus, the TC was made for modders. If you're a modding junkie, and have the money, the TC is your car.

Drawbacks - its underpowered - it has a Camry engine. It's peppy in the lower RPM's, but doesnt have true muscle. Its rear door is a pain. The gas mileage is somewhat lacking for a 4 cylinder.

But if you can look past these negatives, then the TC is for you.

The TC comes with a whole host of features, usually not present in entry level cars of this tier. The panoramic sunroof is great. It's especially fantastic opened in the spring and summer. The TC has stronger acceleration in the lower RPM's - it's somewhat deceptive, it gives the feeling of a sports car at times, even though its not. (A plus!) The stock Pioneer audio system is excellent. I'm sure some people will always want to mod this, but it's great in my opinion and doesn't need to be touched. Set your SSP to "Feel" and the audio system shows its true power. The audio controls on the wheel is a nice touch. The wheel's leather wrapping is also very nice, and adds grip.

Taking a look at the current Scion's lineup, the TC may not be the bargain it once was. For models before 2012-2011, the TC debuted at a very affordable 16k. At this price, you're talking a real bargain - and this was the TC's greatest strength. It was a perfect first car for young adults. Now, there is no real incentive to buy a TC. It's price-point is too high - it went up a whopping 4k, and with the FRS, why spend your money on a TC when you could get a real sports car for 5k more? The TC was fine the way it was. Scion needs to bring the price back down again. the TC was ultimately about awesome value - people could mod on additions later.

Cheaply Made
By ken117

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had a 2008 Scion TC for a bit longer than five years.
While not the worst vehicle I have owned, that would be a Dodge, after five years the overall cheapness of the vehicle was starting to show.
For example, the rear hatch latch simply broke one day.
Another, the paint is so thin and soft it scratches at every opportunity.

To be honest, I was happy to be rid of the TC.

The TC is a fun car to drive for the money. The exterior look of the vehicle is very nice.

Better paint and better interior materials.

2008 scion tc
By cocacolagrl

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2008 scion tc is a great car. I have owned it since January 2011 and i bought it with 19000 miles. now almost a year later it has over 30,000. I love to drive it. I bought this car after owning a 1992 toyota camry for 5 years, so this was quite an upgrade for me. It has only been in the dealership for oil changes and a battery change. The only person who doesnt seem to like it is my father. He is tall and he cant really get very comfortable in the front seat. my scion is the azure pearl color which turns alot of heads. its not as sporty looking as some other cars but its good enough for me!

the only thing i dont like is the paint is very prone to chipping..