Used 1997 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews

Used S-Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...34

Pros
Cons

Great, Dependable Vehicle

rawsonfour, 12/30/2007
SW2 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car as a graduate from college. It had 19,000 miles on it. It now has right around 100K. I've now got a family of four, but when we were deciding whether to upgrade or not, we realized we couldn't beat the gas mileage. It's the perfect commuter car. It seldom needs work; it's paid off, and when it does need work, when spread out over the year it beats a hefty car payment any day. We've only had one major repair in the entire time we've owned it; replacing the shifting rods to the transmission (manual.) Cost: $700. Other costs were usual wear and tear: tires, upkeep, etc. Highly recommend. We'll drive until it croaks. It will be a sad day when we have to give it up.

Gold 1997 SL

David B, 06/25/2008
SL 4dr Sedan

Most reliable automobile I have ever owned. Great gas mileage, better than 40 miles per gallon highway and 30 around town. Easy to work on for tune ups, oil change, brakes etc. Spark plug wells tend to accumulate dirt so you have to be careful when you change plugs. Fuel filter could have been in a better place, O2 sensor is a piece of cake. Nice smooth 5 speed. Still have the original clutch. Liked it so much a got a second one used same color too.

Why can't GM make more like this?

Tourist1292, 05/22/2009
SW2 4dr Wagon

I put 109k miles on this car in 13yr. It survived in an accident at 45mph and nobody got hurt. Gas mileage has not changed since day 1. Some oil consumption since last year that needs to top off once between oil change. It has been very reliable otherwise. There was one major repair to replace the wobbling timing chain within the 7yr after market extended warranty. Other than regular oil changes and tune-up, I spent less than $3000 on this car including the cost of extended warranty, deductibles for repairs, 1 after warranty repair, and 3 brake jobs plus ~$900 on two sets of Michelin tires. Just sold it without working AC and rear wiper fluid spray today at 1/8 or original cost.

I will miss Christine! (fr Stephen King)

Melissa, 02/12/2010
SC1 2dr Coupe

My EX-son-in-law picked this car for me after my Geo died. For $750, and 187,000 miles, I was VERY skeptical. Not the type of car I would buy, bright red is a little flashy for my 60 yr. old taste. Then everything started to go. The clutch, alternator, brakes, water pump, ball joints, tie rods,I was beginning to think she was EVIL! Put about $1500 into her and then all of a sudden I had this amazingly reliable, great on gas, goes thru any weather vehicle! Christine gave me back the joy of driving with her 5 spd pickup and great handling Sadly, high mileage oil use and 1 bad cylinder has me looking for another vehicle. Even on 3 she has more get up and go than any 4 cylinder car I've had.

Keeps on Truckin'

T Arnell, 02/15/2010
SC1 2dr Coupe

I love this car-as a single woman, reliability is a MUST. Of course, I have kept well maintenaced but runs like a trooper. I was broadsided about 4yrs ago by big Chrysler. The policeman & insurance agent both told me the only reason I lived was because of the double steel bars in the door. Still runs great. The clearcoat is starting to peel but the gas mileage is great. I'll drive til it stops.

12345...34