Used 1995 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

22 years and it still soldiers on
By Ty'Eira Marie Morrison Osteen

1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought from original owner (2/8/16) with 115k. Shocked that a '95 GT sedan lasted this long, I had to have it, despite my previous L82 3100 issues with my '94 Z26 Beretta. What a good (and bad) decision that turned out to be: I love the styling of the 4th gen Phase I '92-'95. I love the fact I have custom leather seats. I love everything about the car except what was previously under the hood. The L82 3100 itself had minor issues, but the 4T60 was a different story. Apparently the shop that fixed the car prior to my ownership ended up holding the transmission together with hardware store screws, and forgetting to put the mount bracket puffer screw back on. The 3100 was solid but my dislike for the motor is very prevalent because of the past Z26 issues. Apparently six months in, the car started to violently shake above 45mph. Replaced tie rods, and other suspension related pieces. 20,620.1 miles and thirteen months later, the transmission dies. Since it just gave up without warning, I decided to try and build a '92-'94 HO spec GT sedan with it. Well, last month the motor/transmission was pulled, and to my suprise, the transmission frame mount sheared off. So basically the transmission was laying on the subframe, and caused so much damage the left front strut literally collapsed on the ground when the axles were removed. So now the car is a literal shell waiting to be restored and put back together, and I can't wait for the day it is complete.

Reliable fun car for the price
By luckyintx

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

my 1995 Grand Am was bought brand new 09/95. The olive green metallic color was beautiful, still havent found a car with that nice a shade of green.

Overall the car was used to go back and worth 30 minutes on highway miles to work. went many long distance vacations in it ( above 400-500 miles) 2-3 times a year.

The only major problem that the car ever had was the overheating problem that this car does seem to incur a lot I've noticed. But mechanically it never gave me any other problems.

admitting
the car was ugly without the spoiler, I loved it

Changed oil every 3K, kept it clean, and ended up having it 7 years at 168,000 miles.

One of the best vehicles I have had, still miss it!

The signature red backlighting, the spoiler, White pin stripe down the side, great gas mileage, steering tight, sporty get up and go too, and the pull out drink holders from the dash,

Overheating issue, stereo wasnt anything to brag about, constantly had speaker probs ( might be my fault on that one lol_

Well worth my money
By PoNtIaCHeart

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Was a great car that I enjoyed owning for 12 years. I bought it many years back and it was only my 3rd car I have ever owned. $8000 was the selling price with 81000 miles on it. I hung up the keys finally (but regrettably) last week. I had not payed attention to the coolant level, and with an aluminum block in a quad 4, you never want to overheat it. unfortunately I blew a head gasket. This car has been the best thing I have owned and, if treated right, would be an excellent car for a daily driver.

Comfortable seating, big trunk space, Nice paint colors, smooth shifting transmission, Quiet interior

I like cruise and mine had none, cd player, but than again these were options you pay for. The carpet seemed to wear fast.

Maintain and Gain
By jjgalla

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased as 2nd owner.I have had a few items that were a pain,no car is perfect but I maintain my cars and 105000 miles is current.I did have water from the cowling area and it took time to find it.Normal use items of discs,pads,shoes expected.Always O,L,filter@ 4000mi.Replaced carpet@ 10/09,fuellines,filter@12/09.Windshield and driver window regulator 01/2010. It is great in snow,quick at highway entry, rides steady for shorter wheelbase legnth. I hope to make 200,000 miles.

Stable handling, great in snow and rain.

We cant do that now.

over 200,000 miles and still going..
By satisified owner

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '94 drove it until I bought another new car in 2007. Sold it with 159,000 miles on it to a young lady who drives to college, it now has over 200,000 miles and still gong strong. It had very few problems while I had it and she has had some minor work done in the last two years. I would have bought a new Grand Am if they were still being made.