Used 1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Voyager for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Voyagers Rock

voyager99, 04/01/2013

I bought a 1998 Plymouth Voyager with 165,000 miles on it in 2011 for 1100 and all I can say is Im impressed. Ive put just about ZERO money into it and even was late on the oil changes but this thing still starts with the first turn of the key. Other minor things have gone wrong as the car is old but nothing major. I work with a guy that also owns one and he says its the best vehicle he has ever owned. I hear these are not so reliable but that has not been my experience. Take it for what it is, if you can find one for a cheap price grab it. Its a fun and comfortable vehicle to drive and I loved mine till I sold it for a newer car.

Good ole faithful

Angie, 10/05/2008

This has been the best van that I could say our family has ever owned. We got it with about 90K and now it has 113,000 and is still running like a champ. The interior is crazy comfortable and it is built nice a strong on the outside. We abuse our cars though a little, since we are always so busy, but this vehicle hasn't given out on us at all. No major repairs whatsoever, just some brake fixing but that's about it. Love this van, it's picked up almost every single person in our family like a taxi cab and it just goes all over the city like a little bus. I love this vehicle!

expensive mistake

tooltime1, 01/14/2006

What seemed to be a good deal, even after having a mechanic look at it, was in fact a ticking time bomb. Within 1000 miles it overheated and cost $1750.00 to fix (oil in radiator); pretty much everything but heads were replaced then a rear main seal. Then the alternator belt snapped and went into main belt and fried compressor. To add to my stupidity I bought a Wynn’s warranty, which paid next to nothing on all repairs. It is not even good enough to be used as toilet paper. The ASE mechanics that have worked on this are not big fans of any Plymouth, especially late 90s models. From now on I will by used 1 year old with manufacturer’s warranty.

My Baby served me well!

kathy, 09/05/2008

I have enjoyed my Voyager over the past 11 years. I average 20 miles per gal in the city and 25 highway. I have been doing many trips to Virginia Beach since my twin grandsons and daughter live there and I feel its time to look for a new vehicle but I don't know what I want. I love my Voyager and just had the evaporator core replaced. My mechanic says its time to start looking for something newer to be safe since I am female and drive the trip alone. I do not have one scratch or rust spot on it and until the past year it was keep outside year round.

Never Again

Roswell, 02/19/2003

You read the other reviews and I have experienced every lousy detail ... third set of brakes, A/C out @ 70k, transmission leak, poor brakes. The Chrysler folks have built a pile of #@% &. Save yourself the headache & buy Japanese.

Wonderful Vehicle

Robert1, 07/14/2004

I bought this 1998 van for work transportation with 80000 miles on it, I now have 101000 miles and have not experienced any problems so far.

1998 Ply Voy

purpleseed, 11/10/2004

@ $3000.00, 110K miles, in great shape, this car is a great value for a family. Agility, comfort, and over 25mpg, this mvan is a pleasure to own. No payments makes this car better than a new vehicle.

A great runner

Mike, 06/14/2006

I bought the '98 Voyager new off the lot, and other than regular maintenance, and an intitial snag with the radio, this car has been PRISTINE. Its engine is smooth. I have had no issues with the A/C. The transmission shifts smooth and clean. I think the bad rap some give the Chryslers are because they beat the crap out of them and don't take care of them - oil, tranny flush. I'm gonna keep it till it croaks - which will be a long time.

Best Vehicle we ever owned

98 voyager, 04/09/2010

I never thought I would say this, but this is the most reliable vehicle we owned. We bought it used (110k mi) intending to keep 3-4 years, and still have it after 7. Looked at Ford, GM and Toyota, but the Voyager had the best ride, interior and styling. Transmission was repaired for a seal leak. Otherwise no problems with 190k miles today. Very smooth and quiet, comfortable ride. Nice interior and styling. A real dependable workhorse for us. 3.8 engine is smooth and reliable. Pulls a camper easily. Great gas mileage!

Very Good For The Money.... : )

darius45, 07/20/2003

After driving a rental across country, I purchased a used rental with 15K miles on it & now have 97K miles with only a couple of problems. Fuel pump & window motor failed ( warranty work ). With 75% of my driving being highway, it's very good on gas, smooth, quiet & comfortable. Currently looking for a 2003 Voyager.

Its a 50/50 deal!

yoji6365, 12/04/2004

Bought this at 110k; of course tranny went out at 121k. Fixed horn, water pump, fan blower motor, and A/C compressor is about to go out soon I think. If it weren't for that pesky tranny that most of us experience, it would be a lot better. Since I didn't buy this for a luxurious ride, it's basically a get around town van for large families. If you want a better ride, spend the cash and get a Sienna. You get what you pay for each month.

NOT TOO BAD

DANIELLE, 04/19/2005

I got the van used at 136K in the beginning of April, 2005. I knew it would need some work even though the previous owner said nothing. The first week, the fan belt came off. Needed a gasket replacement and a new thermostat where the coolant area is (coolant sprayed onto the belt, making the belt slip right off); it’s the second week and I decided to find out everything that is wrong with it through the dealership. I was told it needs a cam-seal and a valve gasket cover because of two oil leaks (dealership cost $400). My dad and I are going to do the work. Yeah, it does have some problems but the van runs smooth still and every vehicle has some type of problem here or there. Not too bad of a van

WHAT A PIECE!

Leslie, 05/24/2006

We just recently bought a used 98 Plymouth Voyager Expresso edition and in less than 2 months of us having it the transmission went out. I have heard this is a common problem and that the transmissions in them originally are bad. We got lucky and found someone to replace it for $2100 but it is still a ridiculous price to pay. I mostly blame the dealership.

Expresso is o.k....

Expressokay, 08/17/2006

We've owned the van for 4 years and haven't had any significant problems until recently when it was found the dual electric fans were out. It'll cost close to $800 to replace at the dealership and there are indications that the lack of fans working (we don't know how long) has caused damage to the transmission...not sure how much that will cost. Overall the 3.3L engine has worked great, and we've enjoyed it for long trips. I want to like purchasing American vehicles and know my hard earned cash is going into a quality product, but I have to admit my next van may be a Honda Odyssey based on reliability. I don't think Chrysler is able to change its ways toward producing a quality product.

another chrysler lemon

nelly, 03/04/2002

Car runs great when it runs and is not in the shop. After 37000 miles it needed a new transmission (not under warranty. 38000 miles needed a new head gasket. Don't buy a Chrysler product'

Pretty good value

Enjoyed this van, 05/27/2006

This was our first mini van and the experience was great overall. Pretty reliable up to 90K miles. Check engine light, sway bars, water pump, brake squeals, plus a few other problems. Keyless entry costs $100+ to replace. Power a little weak on very steep grades. We are replacing the Espresso with a Mazda MPV: better reliability and features.

Hate to see her go

Lynn, 06/09/2006

We've had our Voyager for 4 years and I and the kids have loved her. She's been super reliable, just oil changes and preventative maintenance until now when she has a major oil leak and needs new brakes and a catalytic converter. We will keep her around for one more year for our 17 year old to drive, but as a family car, her service is done. We were rear-ended on the highway while stopped by someone doing about 45 and none of us suffered any serious injury. The size and distance from front to back and strength of the body (and the grace of God) saved us.

Voyager is Fine

Larry O, 08/30/2007

Have enjoyed owning and driving this car. Used for several long trips and is easy getting in and out, plus great visibility. Highway mileage has been above 20 mpg, and around town about 16 mpg, which has been acceptable considering the usefulness of this body style. Have owned over a dozen other vehicles and this rates most useful overall, and still fairly comfortable on the road. Will admit that small things have quit, but so far the only biggie is the A/C. Too bad we didn't keep up the warranty.

This car S$&#@!

Evilbaby, 05/27/2003

The worst car in the world. The 10th day I had the piece of S%*# the transmission went bad. Everything imaginable as gone wrong with this car. A Toyota would have last 10 times as long! Worst automobile ever!

I like my Voyager

Julie, 03/16/2008

I bought my Voyager to replace my Toyota Corrolla(which I loved too). My teenage son's feet would not fit in the back of the Corrolla. I found my Voyager, 132,000 miles on it, test drove it and against my brother's wishes bought it. I love it! I have not had any major problems with it. The two biggest problems I have is the A/C won't hold a charge and the turn signals only work sometimes. My brother tells me I have been very lucky about the transmission, but mine seems solid. I love that fact that is can use the flex fuel.

Owned two and LOVED both!

Blessed Grandma!, 07/16/2017
Expresso 4dr Minivan

I bought my first '98 Voyager from a doting original owner; everything looked and worked like brand-new. At literally 260,000 miles, with original, non-rebuilt engine and trans, another driver ran a red light and totalled my beloved van. The van "died" saving me, as I was protected well and had no life-threatening injuries. Due to how wonderful that van was, I replaced her with another, excellent-condition '98, and I'm finding this to be every bit as reliable. I drive a LOT, and now have 180,000 on this van. Again, no rebuilds to drivetrain needed. I want to mention that I have several pain-causing health conditions, and these vans are much more comfortable for me than any newer-model vehicle that I've tried! I have NO intention of trading this wonderful little van in - she's "family" now! UPDATE: We've surpassed 200,000 miles, and still runs like a top! NO issues whatsoever! SO very pleased!

An Excellent vehicle EXCEPT

rasdebol, 05/03/2010

The Chrysler mini-van line is a pretty good one. Reasonably well styled, very reliable engine, comfortable, extremely practical, nice to drive and ride in, so it's almost all PROS BUT as good as they are the ONE bad feature is a BIG one:The Transmission! The Chrysler mini-van transmission is legendarily BAD! If you own one and have not had to replace the transmission at least a couple of times consider yourself lucky! Then again if you like everything else about the vehicle you can keep driving your beloved van for a few more years for the cost of a transmission. SHAME on Chrysler for letting this go on for so many years AND not offering ANY help when they fail.

It's still running and running well.

'98 Ply Voy 3.3L, 08/04/2008

I've ridden in this thing since it was purchased. First, my grandmother drove it (no joke) on weekends to the grocery store. My family used it a bit more intensely as a hockey van for trips to and from hockey rinks around the county. Now I use it to haul college friends around, and I'm a bit of speed demon. This thing has been through hell and back. Lady backed out of her driveway and hit the right sliding door. Numerous flat tires, one bent rim, and a frantic drive from Tallahassee to West Palm at an average of about 90 MPH. Never had a major issue. Change brakes often, but as long as its maintained it keeps on going and going. Just passed 110K Miles.

Great van

johnabirk, 08/07/2008

I've owned my Voyager for 10 years. It has been by far my best car experience, and I've had a lot. It gets the kind of mileage you'd expect from a minivan. It is reliable and comfortable. I've had no major issues at 140,000K. The engine seems bulletproof to me. Normal oil, transmission, and tuneup work. It was and is a keeper. I must have gotten ahold of a good one.

Don't waste your time or money.

Joe5476, 05/26/2002

It's a lemon there transmission went out at 48000 miles A/C compressor at 50000. what a waste of money. They put together a family car and left my wife in the middle of the road, Thanks alot.

swap festeva for a voyager sport :-)

none, 06/17/2009

swapped festeva for voyager sport w/3L am real happy with it replaced DOA alternator former owner had no idea what was wrong been driving it ever since ate 2 serpent belts loves wiper blades don't last 3differnt sizes front rear eeeerrrr rear seat's dam to heavy rust never sleeps it's dieing of cancer to the strut mounts bad poor design

hmm

rickstaxi2009, 12/03/2009

well we bought one these 98 junks got it with 100k on it at 140 tranny went then starting getting electrical problems fuel gage and all lights flashing all the time. still have electric problems bought a third tranny sofar 15k miles on it still holding up with a bit of a glunk with applying brakes

Great van

John A, 12/15/2009

I bought my 98 van in 2005 with 70,000 on it for $5,000. I now have 150,000 on it and have had zero problems. I have changed oil regularly, maintained transmission, flushed radiator, etc. I get 26mpg hwy and 22 city. I use my van in my job so recently bought a 2007 Dodge Caravan with 30k on it because of the success with the Plymouth. Hate to part with my Plymouth but expect to get a minimum $2,500 for it. It has been a great vehicle for me.

Best vehical ever

marco Orosco, 07/25/2002

This car is the greatest van ever to be assembeled.

The Best Minivan Ever...FOR MECHANICS!!!

MAD DAD, 11/26/2002

We bought the Voyager just about a year ago. Within four months of buying, the transmission went out on the way to the hospital to have our youngest baby (70k miles). $2600 was a high price to pay for a good story. So was the $1200 for the various parts of the AC that needed replacing (75k) a few months later. Oh yeah, so was the $700 we've spent on brakes (62k and 82k) since purchase. Driving it off a cliff or setting it on fire would have at least been more fun for the money! We're getting a Honda ASAP. Don't be lulled by the incentives. You'll likely pay either way. We'll never buy a Chrysler product again.

Great for hauling things with the rear seat remove

steve, 07/08/2017
SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this knowing it needed repairs. Had only 95,000 miles on it and paid $1,500 just for the body style. Broken drivers window regulator, 2 fuel injectors, Engine covered in oil and dirt, steering rack leaking badly, wheels out of alignment, time for a timing belt replacement. Soon I found the thermostat was physically broken and radiator split open. Got a Haynes repair manual and fixed all that and did catch up on maintenance. While doing repairs myself I noticed signs of a bad mechanic working on the Van. I so far have put 10,000 miles a vehicle someone tried to kill! All car manufacturers change designs not to improve designs but make parts not interchangeable. The only benefit to consumers is theft of car parts is not practical.

51050