Used 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Ciera for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Attached To My Olds

Kiki, 11/08/2010

I bought the car when it was 5 years old.It had 39,000 miles on it. I liked the car on the first test drive. I am quite attached to my 96 Olds now and take care of it with TLC. I read on another review: QUOTE "I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time." The same for me but it's OK. I will have a hard time to part with this car. It looks like new (had body work done) had a remote starter installed, added Oldsmobile mudflaps and wire wheel covers. It's a sharp looking car. I have spent the most for repairs this year but I knew that was coming and I was willing to make the repair investments. I love my 96 Oldsmobile !

No Major Problems After Eleven Years!

J Bloom, 01/20/2007

I have two '96 Cierras. The other one is a 4-door sedan. My wagon has 108,000 miles on it while my daughter has 132,000 miles on her college bound four door. The wagon has just had the water pump and fuel pump replaced for the first time shortly after it turned 100,000 miles and the drive belt was replaced at 80,000. It's comfortable and the fuel economy - especially on trips is very good. Both get exactly what the EPA reports - about 20 mpg in town, and 29 to 30 mpg on trips. The 3.1 V6 engine combined with a four speed automatic (overdrive) transmission does the trick. Even my 3-speed auto '90 Corolla doesn't deliver 30 mpg on the highway! The sedan had a top manifold leak at 125,000 miles, so I'm watching for similar problems with the wagon. It's OK so far.

Great Care

vsochaquiroz, 10/27/2004

Great Car to get around in. Great on fuel consumption.

Love <3 MyOldie Olds but goodie!!! ***** Q

Mrs.Lee, 09/08/2015
SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 from an estate sale with 24,000 miles on it. I bought it for to drive because I wanted an inexpensive car to drive that I would have to have liability insurance,and since I had two sons in college I had to cut down on expensive wherever I could. I have enjoyed driving this car, it has been reliable, only upkeep with only regular maintance. I've been ask it I wanted to sell it more than a few times since I've had it. It is 20 yrs old and am still driving it, I actually think it is better looking than a lot of the newer cars on the road now, it has more character and is to me a classic. I have a chance to buy a 2013 Altima at a bargain price but I don't want to part with my old Olds. It has served me well, I love my 1996 Olds!!!! <3

discouraging.

cole21, 09/09/2011

I've had this car a little over a year now, and I'm aching to be rid of it. you feel every bump in the road, and although the seats are very comfortable, its not a pleasant ride. there's rust and holes in the rear, it's slow, its awful on gas, and I've put so much money into it, its not even worth it. my door doesn't open when i unlock it, my battery died twice, I've had my brakes done twice, new oil, and fluids, my windshield wiper fluid doesn't come out. It's nothing special, and shouldn't have this many problems considering I bought it from an eighty year old woman who used to to drive to church. Waste of my money and time.

Comfortable and Quiet

Matt, 09/16/2006

I bought this car brand new in '96 with the 4-cyl. engine. It has never stranded us though it has had some major problems. They include eating three head gaskets and bad rusting near the trunk/rear end. There are two baseball sized holes at each rear wheel well into the trunk. and while it has not been a real problem, the fuel pump whirrs loudly, enough for the passengers to always ask "whats that sound?". Otherwise it has a great ride and comfortable seats, which makes up for the lackluster acceleration and performance. This car has developed more and more rattles and squeaks from the dash. I guess it's not TOO bad for an American car with high mileage and not garaged for its whole life.

Great First Car

Bamboo, 09/19/2006

This is simply an A to B car and nothing more. The car's quality is sub par compared to other vehicles of the era. It does offer a great first vehicle platform. It's large, cheap, handles the winter well, but gets mediocre gas mileage. There is also plenty of cargo space.

Cheap and dependable

it's paid for, 03/22/2007

Yes, this car is about as much fun as watching molasses run uphill, in January. But it is bullet proof mechanically, and gets me from point A to B without fail. The V-6 never missed a beat, and after 168k miles, still refused to use a drop of oil. HVAC is one of the better features.

Great car at excellent value

1996 Olds Ciera Wago, 10/12/2008

I bought this car on auction from Suffolk County. It is an ex fleet vehicle. I use it primarily to take me to and from work. Which it does very well. While not an sexy car. It works for me. The mileage is excellent and with 100k + on the odometer all I have had to do is change the oil , have it inspected and flush the rad. Excellent buy. I still get quite a few comments (positive) about it.

used county car

Sean, 08/11/2009

I had bought my 1996 Olds Ciera Wagon from Suffolk County on auction. It had over 100K when I bought it. I have used it as a utility vehicle basically to carry stuff that I do not want getting wet in my pick up. The car has been excellent, while not a great stand out by styling it does the job it is suppose to do. Like the car very much. Have the 3.1 V6 offers good acceleration.

A Great Car From GM!

Fantastic Doug, 10/16/2010

This car came with the standard 3.1 Liter V6 Engine,AC,ABS brakes,and automatic transmission. It is the perfect car for driving around town. I bought the car new and have over 135,000 miles on it. It still drives like a new car with excellent gas mileage.The only thing not working is cruise control, and I don't care because most of my driving is in stop and go city traffic. I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time. A mechanic told me the light is a problem in the car's computer system-nothing is wrong with the car. I really enjoy this car and intend to keep it for many years to come!

overall rating on 1996 olds ciera

Gambler59, 11/11/2003

Very high performance up until this year. Now I am trading my Olds only because mechanically unsound. But I have gotten good performance up till now.

reliability and comfort

crom, 11/22/2003

Proper maintainance keeps the olds runnning. i have never experience breakdowns on the road.had 173,000 miles and it still running good.

If you need depenndability, here you go!

tomonsunset, 02/25/2004

I purchaced this car with about 75,000 on it from an employer who used it as a VP's company car. It sat 2 years and was seldomed used as it was forgotten about when they went to a leasing program. Other than a battery and brakes i ahve no problem withis car. Mine ahd the 3.1 V6 that had plenty of zip around town and easly ahandled highway traffic with ease.Car was easy to service. NOTE: I went through 3 after amrket fule pumps before I got one that did not "roar" when driving. This sound of the pump running and echoing from the fule tank drove me nuts.By the way, the orignal equipment pump was changed out for the same reason.

Value and comfort

Buy American, 07/10/2004

Original owner with 97,000 miles. No mechanical problems except for transmission which was fixed at 7,000 miles under warranty. Have only changed the belts, front brakes done twice and rear brakes once. Original battery almost eight years old! Gets 31 MPG on highway, about 19 around town. At almost 8 years old the finish is holding up very well except for some discoloration of the plastic side trim. Although it was never fashionable this car has proved to be a great value so far!

Like a Timex, It Keeps on Ticking

it's paif for, 03/10/2007

Yes, this car is boring. But it is reliable, and no matter how I treat it, she just won't give up the ghost. The wife won't let me get something else until this thing dies, so it might be a while. I've got 167,000 miles on her and it still doesn't burn a drop of oil. It has some rust, but for a work car it is perfect. We even take this thing and leave the van at home to keep the miles off the good vehicle. I don't get the gas mileage that others claim though.

It has gone the distance

driver777, 06/13/2003

Bought my Ciera new. After logging 118,000 miles here's the maintenance record: Preventative maintenance: Serpentine belt replaced twice, 40K and 90K Replaced battery and alternator: 85K Replaced shocks, struts Corrective Maintenance: Replaced power window motor, driver's side. Head gasket replaced. Replaced radiator, hoses. Replaced water pump. Power steering assembly replaced due to leak. Ongoing problem: Fuel guage is inaccurate. 1/4 reading is an indicator that the tank is empty.

Eh...

greatcar56, 07/24/2015
SL 4dr Sedan

This was a great car when it worked. I had this car for one year and I got 65,000 miles on it before antifreeze leaked into the engine. It needs an entire new head gasket which is worth more than the whole car. The seats were really comfy though.

My really used Ciera Wagon X fleet

Sean 418, 03/30/2008

In June of 2007, I purchased a 1996 Olds Ciera Wagon on auction from Suffolk County. I bought it because I like station wagons and my 1989 Celebrity wagon was dead. This car has been excellent. After dropping in a new battery and having the oil and fluids changed, I have not had a single problem. Not bad for a vehicle I spent $410. on. Gets me back and forth no problem. May not be the most stylish thing on the road, but that is what I have my 2000 Intrigue and 1968 Chevy Biscayne for. It is like having a van, that is what I use it as. I also use it for work. Love this car. Would buy another one.

Really solid car!

abel, 05/10/2016
SL 4dr Sedan

its nothing fancy, but if your looking for a reliable sturdy car that gets really decent mpg then the car is for you. concidering price you cannot find a better value, and it can sit 6 people.

FANTABULOUS

James farmer, 04/22/2017

GREAT

The free car

Dave Elsberry, 11/24/2003

This car was a gift, new by my in- laws. It's never been an attractive car, and didn't ride very well. Massive oversteer, and a floating feeling never made the car comfortable for any length of time. Over the life of the car (110K miles as of now). I've rebuilt the top end of the motor twice due to head gasket failures, which cracked one head, and warped the intake both times. The transmission lost a $20.00 sensor, cost $1500.00 in labor to replace (the engine has to come out). It's now blown it's third head gasket. the AC died two times due to the placement of the AC hoses, and all four power window motors failed.

The Joy of a Toy

Daniel Calicchio, 01/02/2016
SL 4dr Wagon

I traded my Olds in for a 2004 Toyota Van. Great car and very comfortable to drive. use it for work mostly and it holds a ton of stuff. Millage is better than the olds which is a plus. I travel to service water coolers in three state and this does not wear me out driving and turns on a dime, Great for city traffic.

An Excellent Family car

Jammin in Jersey, 03/26/2002

I have had this car for almost 7 years, and it has almost 105k miles. The performance, comfort, and reliability is still there. There have been absolutely no problems with this car. This car with over 100k miles rides and is quieter than my nephew's brand new Accord V-6. Interior is a bit drab, but there is a lot of space. This is a great budget buy used because if you maintain it regularly, it will outlast your friend's japanese and german cars.

51050