Used 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Update from previous review
By darkcoupon

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

In the past few years the Transmission has started making a whining sound after driving for long periods of time on the freeway. Then it started happening after driving for short periods of time on the freeway, then it would happen after driving up any hill, then after just driving a few miles in the city, then I started getting a warning that said "Transmission Overheating, Slow Down." The dealership assured me this was a normal complaint with this year and model and it would go away after changing the CVT fluid at the 60,000 mile service. Had the 60k service done at 57,000 miles because I couldn't stand the transmission noise anymore, but it continued to be a problem. Took the car back to the dealership and they still insisted it was normal. The next time I took it in they said it was because I'm driving in 4wd mode. When the problem happened in 2wd mode I took it back and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue and decided that it must not be a problem. The final straw was after an easy 30 minute trip on the freeway. I got the warning and couldn't pull off to let the transmission cool down, the car completely lost power and stranded me. The transmission eventually cooled down and I was able to drive it again, but the dealership still insists it's either a normal issue or the problem doesn't exist. I sold this piece of junk and will be buying a more reliable SUV from a brand with better dealer service.

4 year owner
By Drosan

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my Outlander Sport since Feb. 2012. I absolutely love my car and I have been saying that ever since I purchased it. To begin, the cargo space is much more than what it appears. Moving twice with this car has been helpful, I have fit a table and 5 large stools in the back seat. The key is that the seats go flush which is great. I am also an athletic coach and this car comfortably fits all my equipment. Even with the seats up the cargo space is still more than adequate. The bluetooth comes standard and is simple and easy. The blue lights the light up with the opening to the doors always receives many compliments and is functional as well. The turning radios is amazing, I have never had a problem.

In regards to reliability, I have only had to take this car for oil changes and basic tune ups in four years and 75k miles. Not bad.

Pros: Bluetooth and sound system, cargo space, simple yet attractive design, great gas mileage, reliable

Cons: Noisy drive

Reliable, but uninspiring
By darkcoupon

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car has been very reliable. I bought mine in fall of 2011 and, apart from regular maintenance, this car hasn't seen any time back at the dealership. The rest of the car, though, is rather unimpressive. Despite the sporty exterior, the underpowered engine makes this car beyond boring to drive and inspires no confidence when needed. The poor engine would almost be forgivable if the car achieved the advertised gas mileage, but after nearly 3 years of ownership I still average around 20mpg City and 25mpg Highway. This is mostly due to the fact that the pedal needs to be on the floor most of the time to keep up with traffic. Mitsu would have been much better off including their 2.4L engine.

It has a great looking exterior, performs very well in the snow and on minor off-road trips. Very well equipped for the price, 4WD system is excellent. Cargo room is adequate for 2 people, though it could use more. Nav system comes in handy but finding the right settings and menus is a chore. Great warranty. I don't have enough room to write all of my suggested improvements so I'll start them here: The auto climate control seemingly has one setting: full blast. The seats feel like cardboard after driving for more than 30 minutes. The stock tires have weak sidewalls and are expensive to replace. The switches for the heated seats are impossible to see from your seating position.

The voice dialing feature is absolutely useless. Setting your phone up and importing your contacts is easy, but it never recognizes a name and has randomly deleted all of my contacts on more than one occasion. A more powerful engine is an absolute must. This car is slow and gets poor gas mileage as it is, try filling it with 4 people and all of their camping gear. You'll be lucky to make it out of the driveway. The build quality is very cheap. The interior constantly squeaked while driving at first, now it's just occasional. The washer fluid filler tube is the flimsiest piece of plastic that I've ever seen. It broke off of the frame while I was trying to close the lid. I can go on...

Great Crossover, would be better 6 cylinders
By sjcruiser36

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this vehicle since October 2012. My check engine light just came on, and the code at AutoZones states its the oxygen sensor. Hopefully this is covered by the warranty since I only have 18,000 miles on it. Other than this issue, I haven't had any others issues with it. It would be better with a 6 cylinder engine, and if the current engine didn't make the clicking noise, but its apart of the design. I haven't had any road noise issues, and she gets pretty good gas mileage especially when I'm paying attention to the green fuel efficiency line. The ride is comfortable for me, and others who are driving or are in the back seat, and the cargo space is enough for most needs.

Good gas mileage, reliable, great for driving in the city or highway, and is easy to park and fit into small spots.

Try to reduce or eliminate clicking noise with engine

Good car for the money
By mitsudriver1

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have about 30K miles on my Outlander Sport.
I purchased this car for commuting and general running about in the city.
It took a little getting used to since I have been driving a Large SUV with V-8 power for the last 15 years.
With that said this car is adequate for what it does. ITs not a very quick off the line but if you use the paddle shifters it helps. Once up to speed it moves nicely and cruises at 75-80 mph with ease. I have found it to be pretty versitile considering its size. I am able to haul around bicycles, potting soil, plants etc.
I have averaged between 26-28 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving and I don't baby this car.
The handeling is very car like and generally comfortable

interior features are good for this price level. good storage space especially with seats folded down.

This car would benefit TREMENDOUSLY with another 20--30 hp and 30 lbs torque to get it moving off the line. plastic body panels feel flimsy when washing the car.