Used 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used S-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Our 3rd S Class

ecurry, 06/14/2015
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

We've owned 5 MB's and to be honest I can identify with the people who have had problems. I've had issues with MB in the past but fortunately for us this time seems to be a charm. We did however have to have the battery replaced. It seems if one has the push button start/stop feature, one has to be sure the car is off and not in standby mode or it will deplete the battery. Now to the good stuff. This car rocks!! This is the best luxury car on the road bar none. I'd put it up against anything out there where luxury is concerned, including Rolls or Bentley. When compared to the uber luxury cars the new S-Class is a champ!

The Epitome Of Understated Luxury

chofgarden, 01/01/2015
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

After several thousand miles in a 2015 S550 it would be hard to imagine a more well rounded or comfortable luxury sedan. Performance with the 449HP V8 is more than adequate for any circumstance, and handling is better than one might expect given the size and weight of the car, especially when in the sport mode. The ride is remarkable over any surface and the noise level is lower than any luxury car I've owned, including a Bentley Flying Spur. Mileage is runnning about 20 MPG in combination town and highway driving, getting 25+ on the highway. The technology features abound but are subtle enough not to intrude excessively, and aren't difficult to master. Not one problem so far. A home run Update- After almost 4 years we still love the S550 and have had 0 problems. Supremely comfortable. Great road trip car, getting 27 mpg on the highway. Still outclasses the competition, would buy again with no regrets. Update 2- Approaching 5 years of ownership now and we still LOVE our S550. Still no problems in over 40000 miles. We will continue to drive it for a few more years, as there's still nothing better out there. Best car we've ever owned.

Excellent Through 1,000 Miles

lrspatrick, 04/29/2015
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Prior vehicle was a 2014 E250. It had 40K miles with no issues. Reason for the S class was I wanted it and didn't want to wait for the diesel. The S is the finest vehicle I have driven. The ride stands out, it is smooth and does not float, handling is outstanding for a large vehicle. The seats are second to none, multiple adjustments and massage minimize driver fatigue. Interior design works very well ergonomically while looking great. With voice command and nearly every function within easy reach on the COMAND system driver can focus on driving while managing other features. The S550 provides more than enough power; haven't detected the turbo lag I experienced in the E Class

Bucket list car

John Dickinson, 11/23/2016
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

It eats tires and brakes, and will cost you more for gas as it is lucky to get 16mpg if you do not drive on freeway every day. Definitely would be the car if you did a lot of open road driving at higher speeds. Lots of power for passing even at high speeds. Quiet and great ride.

This car is amazing

Kelly F, 01/02/2019
S 550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I love this vehicle. LOVE it! I've been a Mercedes fan for quite some time. I previously owned an S-550 from 2008. I loved that car too. I didn't want to give it up and held onto it forever. Finally decided technology was so far advanced that it was time to but something newer and this car does NOT disappoint. It's fast, comfortable, stylish and quite simply just badass. It's such a classy car. 100 stars. It's seriously that awesome.

Almost exceptional

Robert Posey, 11/03/2015
S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I've got a new S550 sedan. Mostly I'm pleased. However, the fit of the right passenger door wood alignment is off about a half inch. The drivers seat is hard and poorly cushioned. Ergonomically, the steering wheel heater switch is invisible and not displayed. Finally, the Eco mode won't stay off and resets to "on" every time the car is started. Picky, picky, but for $120 thousand, I expect things perfect.

Second S Class - 4th MBZ

kcoc3, 06/28/2015
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I think that MBZ put too many bells and whistles on this car. I am paranoid about having any kind of a fender bender as the electronics will surely be messed up. I had to have new breaks and rotors put on at less than 19,000 miles. The climate control makes a weird noise sometimes (noise comes from engine) and per the dealership it is normal. Car is built to be quiet and then there is a weird alien sound. Voice control has improved but still not perfect. Sadly Siri works better in responding to text messages, etc. Massage on the seats is silly, along with the embracing seats. I have never used the "perfume" dispenser.

Great ride

OG, 12/11/2015
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

If you are all about comfort, this is your car. Difficult to find another choice in that price range with such a plethora of technology and comfort. Precisely, this is what may become a little overwhelming for some people. Having said that, do not expect this car to be "perfect". It is not. It has a lot of issues with software that may force you to get the car to the dealership for upgrades, but once the car is updated, it runs like no other. Tire wear is considerable with the factory installed Pirelli Flat Run. Ridiculous to be honest! At 5 thousand miles, dealership already suggested to replace front tires. Be prepared to spend in premium tires at least once every other year, sometimes less, depending on the brand and your driving habits. The dynamic cruise control (Distronic) feature is amazing, same the self-driving (under 30 mph) capability. Full isolation in its cabin, smooth ride, unparalleled audio quality, amazing response... and a price tag above 100K. But, hey, worthy in every penny.

Comfort and luxury

David, 01/18/2016
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

By far this is the most comfortable Mercedes I have owned. Beautiful interior that no cars can match. Much more leg room in the rear than the GL550.

Mercedes S550 4matic vs Lexus LS460AWD

Dennis, 04/02/2018
S 550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

The Mercedes exceeds the Lexus in quality in all criteria. The Mercedes adaptive cruise is so much better than the Lexus. The Lexus is so slow to react. The brakes on the Lexus were super sensitive. So far this car is heaven. Ask me in a year if I still think so It has been a year and the S550 still impresses me. Having the cameras in front of the wheels and with the suspension continuously adjusting itself for any road irregularities is impressive. Passenger comfort is exceptional as 6'4" sized people are comfortable in front or back. This particular model has the backseat option of reclining seats, a great and comfortable option. The two critical elements are the poor gas mileage and the fact that both rear seatbelts froze. The seatbelts were covered by a lifetime warranty so no cost there. Mercedes service is pricey but your vehicle is kept in new car condition. I love this car, especially on long road trips.

Worst Car I have ever owned

daisy38, 01/18/2015
S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Purchase the car in August 2014 with "all the bells and Whistles Barely drove it, was in the shop every 100 miles. Problems with computer, direct injection. Too many distractions, hard to work heat/ac. The cameras are distracting on the dash. Mercedes is buying the car back because it constantly breaks down and leaves me on the road. 2K miles on the car in 6 months and I drove mostly a loaner car. Not even sure I have a lux car, Ive been driving a loaner. Car was in the shop for a month, got it back and it broke down the next day, Mercedes hasn't even offered a loaner this time. Totally unreliable. If you look on this site you see dozens of them turned in with less than 5K miles.

Complete disapointment

og4delta, 02/26/2015
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

This is the worst premium car i have ever had. Seriously, it is almost comical that you set the expectations so high in such a "high end car" to be right back in the dealer every 2-3K miles and drive a loaner car. Be ready for constant check engine light on, break problems, ac problems, just to mention the most annoying and apparently commun troubles with the S-550. Last time that i took the car back for a break problem, dealer told me that MB is preparing a "permanent" solution for this situation due to the high frequency of this occurrence (rotors)... really?, at this point, one year after rolling out this model, they dont have a solution for a break fall out? Bummer!

The best there is!

Robert Beasley, 08/07/2018
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Great car. Nothing to really complain about. I really wanted a red exterior, but none was offered. Now the 2018s are here and still no red exterior color! The COMMAND system is very complicated and to make matters worse, most of the Owner's Manual is in the car's on-board hard drive memory system!

lots of problems

bob598, 06/19/2014
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

This is my 9th S sedan...........it's very tough to love. The tech stuff is virtually worthless while driving........most of it completely un needed or wanted......Hell it's hard to turn the radio stations, not kidding....completely unintuitive.......almost like German engineers are from another planet....thing that are worthwhile are the safety components which work well.......but are touted by MB as exclusive but are found on Ford Focus's.............We owned many MB's since 1980......the first being a 240 d.......but I've about had it.......the development money is going into the small Benz's I suppose.........maybe move on to Porsche.......really running out of high end brands. ( since your a car research group I'll list our current ownership Two Gwagons, a GlE (think that's what they call it) and the S)....Thanks Bb PS.....The cars have long lost their exclusiveness........without......why pay more?

you get what you pay for

Octavian Belcea, 01/03/2017
S 550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

After owning this car I cannot imagine owning anything better. My next choice would be the hybrid version (feeling a bit guilty at the pump).

S Class at 72,000 Miles and going strong

Dan Marshall, 05/17/2020
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have to admit that now I’ve just hit 72,000 I’m wondering if I should take it to 100k with the hopes that I won’t have to tap into my retirement to keep it going from costly repairs. I’ve read the reviews here but no one is saying they have a 2015 with this kind of mileage. For $100k+ you would think that I should be able to do it and not break the bank in repairs. Anyone have something to add that has had their ‘15 + year car I would love to hear about your experiences.

Capt JBG, 07/17/2019
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I also own a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited loaded especially with safety features. The Jeep in reverse is much better and safer than the Mercedes S550. There are NO warnings of oncoming cars or people when reversing. In reverse is important. If you back out of a parking lot there are no warnings. I have surround cameras and that is my only way to see if cars or people are behind the car when backing up. The Jeep actually YELLS at you with warning alarm and if very close the Jeep applies the breaks. The Mercedes does not. Poor planning. I have lots of chips on the windshield that I feel should never have happened. Poor windshield in my opinion

Can’t believe the front grill is plastic

Mikecoal, 10/15/2019
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

The plastic front grill is blistering and Mercedes-Benz won’t do anything about it

Love the ride

Tony Wheeler, 04/13/2020
S 550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Bought my S550 4matic 7 months ago as a CPO from the dealer. I love driving the car but am glad that I sprung for the extended warranty as well as the service plan. Car broke down the day I bought it. This mighty engine was stopped by a cracked elbow in the coolant circuit loosing all the coolant onto the road. The dash warning in bright red told me to stop the car immediately. No lasting damage was done. Since then I have had myriad of other issues from minor to engine stopping due to a bad ignition coil. I think I have worked out all of the kinks. Can't wait to get in the car and drive it everyday. The ride is superb and the interior is very nice. Fastest, biggest, most amazing car that I have ever owned- I love it on long trips and am convinced the ionizer and perfume make me feel better. The stereo sounds great but sometimes I love to turn it off and enjoy the whisper quiet as I travel down the road. No other car like it. It would not be fun to go back to a lesser car.

51050