Used 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

100,000+ miles and still feels new
By Christopher Kresge

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 Miata MX-5 used with 107,000 miles on it from a 72 yr old man, who bought it from an 81 year old man. I'm 62. I spent $5000 for it with the hardtop. I invested $5000 in it to replace the top, the cat-converter, new high end stereo, detail, brakes and a few other things. At 13 years old, the car is tight and desirable to drive and now worth every bit of the 10k I have in it. I sold hundreds of sports cars in the 80s, but never bought one myself until now - although I have had a penchant for luxury coupes and sedans. My mechanic tells me I got a steal here locally, given the condition and the fact I also got a hardtop with it. One of the best used car values I've ever run across.

TALL PEOPLE BEWARE!!!
By wkiernan

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Look, I've had three Miatas.
My first, a '93 that I bought used, got rear-ended by a whisky-drinker in a pickup truck.
I rushed out and bought a nearly-identical second one.
When it passed 200,000 miles (going strong I might add) I started shopping for a third, which I bought today - now I own _two_ of these things.
My last twelve years of car buying expresses how very, very much I like this car better than any rodomontade I might compose.

But.
I'm 5'11" tall, and this car fits me like a comfortable shoe.
What that means if you're 6'1" or taller, or a likely regular passenger is, I'm sorry but you really need to consider cars with a couple of inches more headroom.

I love it!
By revdll

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used with 25,000 miles. It's my daily driver in the Florida sun. I love it! Handles sharply and precisely. Rough roads produce a rough ride. Not a surprise. Zero problems.

I love the stereo system.

Better OEM tires would be nice. I replaced them with BF Goodrich G Force. Improved the noise lever considerable.

2004 Classic Red Miata
By Jaxrolo

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata Cloth 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Previously I had a 2000 Miata which was very nice. Got in a wreck so Had to buy this 2004. WOW this car is great!!! Very nice ride. great handling.

Borla Dual Exhaust. K&N Typhoon Intake.

Better SOund System

Mazda mx-5 speed
By keith hinshaw

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Easy fit in the garage. Actually has trunk space more than my convertible Vette. Top actuation up/down simple to do. Excellent 6 speed, short throw gear box. Plenty of power (172 HP) to pass. Logical panel lay out, easy to read at all speeds. Great brakes. 28 MPG at 75 MPH. I have owned gull wing, 300 SL roadster, MGA, AH and 2 Vettes. The MX-5 is the best of the bunch.

Having a lighter and ash tray is plus for me.

Should have bought one with cruise control for long trips.