Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

What a great car!
By Sunny

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda Miata MX-5 fulfilled everything I wanted in a convertible - sleek, sexy and sporty. It's a blast to drive. I can't wait to until 5pm when I can leave work and have some real fun. Handles wonderfully, stops on a dime and I'm usually the first off the line from a red light.

My favorite features are the curvy body style and tight handling.

More power under the hood!

I love my Miata
By Scott

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Miata. Pros: 1.) It handles like a dream and is a lot of fun to drive. 2.) You can beat most cars off the line. 3.) It looks great. 4.) Reliable 5.) Good gas mileage (if you choose not to have fun.) Cons: 1.) No storage space. 2.) Loud road noise. I love my Miata.

I love the way the car drives.

Mazda needs to put more power under the hood.

That which we call a Rose.
By Josh Smith

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Miata is one of those cars people just awe over, you can't help but name it, you want to call 'her' something. The sleek curves give off a sense of class, while the small, but cocky stance says "I want to play". The Miata, in my opinion, is underrated, it has enough power for most people, and enough aftermarket support for the rest of us. A light-weight rear-wheel drive car is just one of those things that any generation could admire. Cruising the interstate with the top down, wind blowing.. You can't resist but feel that you're free.

I would have to say that my favorite feature is the gas pedal... Just kidding, in all reality, my favorite features would be the easily accessible sound system, easy to change out and upgrade if you needed, and the other would be the abundance of space in the engine bay.

With the Miata you'll definately want to upgrade to a short-ram intake system, and probably an aftermarket exhaust. And you'll definately not want to skimp on the sound system, a good high-quality amp and component speakers with a good quality head-unit will do wonders for this car.

The Amazing Miata
By Eric

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After four years I have to say I still love my Miata. My mission the day I bought it was to buy a WRX. However coming out of a convertible I was not prepared to totally forego an opening top. The WRX at that time did not have an available sunroof. The other problem, they were so hot all I could find were automatics! Just down the street was a Mazda dealership and I thought why not, the price was right. My test drive sold me 100%! I scared the salesman so that was a bonus. As a former policeman I drive like one ;) The handling is simply spot on superb. Though the stock Bridgestones were awful under 50 degrees. I put on GForce T/As and love them. One request - a bit more HP.

The handling is spot on superb. Especially once you ditch whatever lousy tire they put on it at the factory. I chose Goodrich GForce T/As and they are awesome!

More horsepower. You start with a perfectly balanced machine but it does lack a bit in 0-60. Improve that by 2 seconds and it would be perfect. I personally lust after a supercharger for my Miata.

BRG Miata
By TaTahn

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

With a few modificatons to the engine and exhaust, this TRUE Sports car can scoot. Have tried to break it loose in corners but the handling is super for a stock roadster. Think I see a 2006 on the horizon, this is one awesome vehicle.

Handling and ok gas mileage (with mods get about 26-28 highway).

Work on the gas bit and tighten the chassis, who cares about road noise .. that is why I bought it .. the wind in the hair thing :-)