Used 2003 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 507 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Good Value
By Garrett

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used at about 23k miles; now at 72k. I like the 2003 options because you can get a moonroof unbundled with other options. Reliable; only issue was a throttle body sensor I replaced out-of-warranty with a salvaged part for $120. Only drawbacks are dash and trim rattles and buzzes; I stuffed some wood pieces under the dash align pins which really helped but the center console (all plastic) makes noise and there's some kind of buzz in the B-pillar area occasionally (hence build quality = 4). Sun visors will weaken if you clip a garage opener on them.

5-speed shiftable automatic. MP3-CD player available. Styling. Red-lit dash easier on the eyes at night (just ask an astronomer). Climate control temperature works about as well as any. Lumbar support. Power seat has infinite set points vs. a manual seat. Explosive power on demand!

If climate control is left on Auto, it will start out trying to use A/C on recirculate mode (why would it do this in summer when it's 150F inside?). Transmission sometimes jerks on downshifts, even in regular D mode if you've been using manual mode. Eliminate rattles in the interior.

Mazda 6s - great value
By DH800

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 6s for a couple of months and I love it! Value is first rate: leather seats, powerful V6 engine, and beautiful design at a very affordable price. The 220-hp lets me run with most cars on the road while it doesn't kill me at the pump (although mpg could be better). And when I wax my car, I still catch myself staring at it; love the exterior design. The only thing you have to do to this car is open up the mufflers, add an intake and you have a legitimate, stylish contender that stands out from the economy-car pack. I cannot attest to the reliability yet, however, but I think these cars have done well considering '03 was the first production year.

Aggresive and stylish exterior (from the LED spoiler-mounted brake lights to the in-lens fog lamps), 220-hp 3.0 V6, electric blue paint, heated leather seats, amazingly spacious trunk, driver-oriented cabin design, very smooth cruise control

Gas mileage could be better, green lights in instrument panel when driving lights are on can be annoying, wish there was an aux input, sunroof should be a little bigger

Wolf in sheeps clothes
By ex mazda fan

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the vehicle in July of '06 with just over 18,000 miles and was as happy as could be for the first year or so. The second year on the other hand was not so good, I felt as tho I was taking the car in once a month for something different it started with a squeaky driver seat then some recalls then some weird clunks then a defective starter and several other things. Once everything was fixed things were okay until the car reached 58,000 miles and decided that it would be a good time to blow up! According to the mechanics the piston rod snapped and blew two holes in the block. The worst part is I was doing about seventy on the freeway not even accelerating. $9000 later the car is running ok

The interior is great, nice euro style gauges and steering wheel controls are great and the center console is spacious and perfect for an iPod. The body is very good looking with lots of aftermarket modification options.

My suggestion is to make a stronger motor.

Keeps on pushing
By musick man

2003 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2003 Mazda 6 i in September 2006. The only problems that I had were a dead battery (I used to leave the lights on), and my rack and pinion steering system which was replaced by the dealer covered by the factory warranty. Other than that the car is great. the low end torque could be better but the handling is awesome at all speeds. Love the ground clearance, I take it fishing and it has no problems with climbing steep embankments. Took it to Arkansas from Louisiana on a single tank of gas with four passengers and luggage, rode smoothly but is no Lincoln. The leather seats are very comfortable, radio is loud, and it looks great. Now has 76k still runs strong.

Leather seats, moon roof, handling, steering wheel controls, cd player, aux power outlet, manualmatic transmission, alloy wheels.

Better low end torque, ABS should be standard on all models, quieter engine or lower rpm at higher speeds.

The bad side
By BERNARDO MARTINEZ

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After five years I have had many problems with my car i.e., headliner at rear window coming off on both sides, driver side visor broke, stereo has problems push CD changer and the A/M radio comes on, push change song on CD and CD ejects, lots of strange thing like that. The biggest problem is the transmission shifts really really hard like it slams into gear. Took it to a dealer they told me not a thing is wrong with it. One more thing the fan has a recall because it stays on long after car is off.

The way it looks