Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews

$12,900

Used CX-9 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Car so far

grassshearking, 02/08/2013

I have about 500 miles on my 2013 CX9 AWD Grand Touring SUV. I wanted reliability, a good array of technical options, comfort, quite ride and seven seats. I looked over a variety of options - the GM suite of products (Enclave, Acadia, Traverse), Toyota Highlander, BMW X5 and Acura MDX. I added the CX9 to the list after seeing its consumer rated reliability index was a 92, higher than the Highlander. My decision came down to the Highlander and CX9. Did not trust the GM products, Acura MDX is too expensive, same with the X5. Compared to the Highlander Ltd, the CX9 GT has a better middle seat, better technical options, a better ride, and is a much better value. Paid $37k out the door for min

don't buy from Byers Mazda- Columbus Ohio

elantra6, 01/24/2013

CX-9 is a great car. Very good quality, great Value. Compare it to all 7 seaters- CX 9 is the best value. I got my for $34,000 - Grand Touring - best value on the market I was very disappointed with Byers Mazda - Columbus Ohio - actually with their service department. The outside mirror is shaking a lot, so I went there to ask the to fix it. It's bean almost a 6 months and I have been given all kind of excuses not to fix it - very disappointed.

Excellent 7 seat SUV

gman_mi, 05/29/2014
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After a lot of research we decided to get the 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD with the Tech Package to replace our aging minivan. Some of the other vehicles we test drove were the Dodge Durango and Honda Pilot. The CX-9 had the best combination of interior space, looks, features, car-like driving experience and value for money. After a month of driving around we have been really satisfied with the vehicle. The vehicle is easy to drive and park which is unusual considering its large size. The Touring w/tech package offers a lot of near luxury features(Navigation, Moonroof, heated seats, leather, Bose speaker) but still keeps the sticker price reasonable for a large SUV. 3 yr Update: We liked the vehicle and we did a lease buyout. Now we have put in 44000 miles and the vehicle still looks and drives good. 3 years of midwestern potholes and rough roads have induced a few minor rattles in the cabin but overall the interior and exterior have held up well. Gas mileage has remained steady around 17-18 mpg in mixed driving and 21-22 on long roadtrips. Other than oil changes and tire rotation every 7500 miles no other service required. Key fob battery had to be replaced after 2.5 years. We are very satisfied with the vehicle.

Large SUV that Drives Like a Car!

12thfan, 05/09/2013

I have had my Cx-9 Grand Touring since January and love everything about it. I even like driving to work! I test drove the 4 Runner and Explorer but didn't like either one. The 4 Runner felt rough like I was driving a truck and you definitely heard and felt the engine working. I also didn't like being on a truck axel. I loved the Exterior of the Explorer, but felt the steering was too loose. I looked at the CX-9 once we read all of the great reviews. When we test drove, it was my favorite by far and it was the best value- a winning combination. Usually my favorite is the most expensive one! The steering responds extremely well and the V6 is the perfect amount of pick up.

Sooooo not the minivan

mamams, 05/02/2013

I just purchased my CX9 and let me tell you, I am loving it. I did not want to get out of it after my first drive to work. The interior is very comfortable and the small touches that Mazda has added are really nice. For instance, there is a little well in the center console for your USB or charger cord to rest in, so that you can fully close the console. The all weather mats were standard on my model and I love them too! I drove others, such as Ford, GMC, Chevy, and never felt like I was LOVING driving them. Once I saw the CX9 reviews, I thought I would try it, and am so glad I did. This car is VERY fun to drive. I am so ready for my first road trip in about 3 weeks!

Excellent family car

jzwerl02, 05/26/2013

Recently turned in our Lexus RX 350, looking to spend a little less this time around. The car is great (it's my second Madza; I also have a Mazda3). The only two things I can think of to complain about are the navigation screen is a bit small, and the interior material just feel a little cheap. But I guess they have to cut corners somewhere if I'm going to save this much $$$!! Otherwise the car is great!

Buy a Pilot or Highlander

Brant, 08/04/2015
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to my earlier review. Do not buy this car. Yes it handles and accelerates well and is roomy and fairly fun to drive. Downsides are manifold. Compared to the 2009 CX9 I owned: The 2013 continues with poor gas mileage in a range of 12 mpg to 20 mpg. The sheet metal is thinner hence the car easily picks up dings. The NAV system is useless so I don't use it. The transmission has a mind of its own. It is rough and clunks and bangs when shifting to drive at times. It downshifts randomly when tapping the brakes. The front brake rotors have warped so the brakes pulsate dramatically. One on the key fobs has already died. The central locking system is unintuitive and frustrating. I am generally a Mazda fan but they decided to cheapen this car. There are a lot of good cars on the market today and these named flaws are unacceptable.

Initial review: Great!

syndic8r, 10/29/2013
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

It has been almost 3 years since before deciding on the CX-9 Grand Touring Tech to replace my '04 Highlander. I still really like the vehicle. Great vehicle for the price. The ride is very nice and although the 20's do make the ride a tad rougher (as reviewers have said), overall the ride is more than acceptable. Vehicle has acceptable power, which is helpful as I live in a hilly area. Gas mileage is right around 18. I do much more city driving than highway and I'd love it if the mileage was better, but it's acceptable. I do a lot of listening to streaming audio and podcasts so the tech is important to me, and my only gripe. System talks to Android for text interface, but doesn't "see" android for music. Music player has more functionality for ios platforms than Android. If car is parked for a couple of days--like at an airport--you have to reconnect phone as the system loses connectivity. Gracenote feature has never worked for me, even after attempting to update. I hope that the updated version of the car cures these problems. I'm definitely considering another CX-9 when this lease is up.

Not as good as my 2009 CX 9

stopresisting, 10/09/2014

I came from a 2009 Mazda CX 9 Sport AWD which I absolutely loved. Not a single problem with the 09. I knew that the '13 was almost identical to the previous model year 9's but with more technological safety features. I had to have a rear view back up camera. The Blind Side Monitoring system is wonderful. Although the New Grand Touring (GT) came with 20 inch wheels, I didn't really feel a big difference in ride quality. The wheels are stylish but not chrome. As another reviewer stated, the sheetmetal is not as it was in previous years and easily prone to dings. The newer model's glove box has no locking mechanism and the coin storage drawer is gone.

Engine dies at 68K miles & Mazda say "Tough Luck"

Rich K, 11/01/2018
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just experienced every car buyer's nightmare. Purchased new CX-9 in 2013 and did all the required maintenance for the first 60 miles. After 5 years and 3 months and 68K in miles the engines completely dies. The reason per Mazda is the a "very rare" situation occurred INSIDE the engine where the internal water cooling systems broke and leaked into the engine resulting in broken rods and the need for a completely new engine that will cost $10,000!!!. The dealership passed me off to Mazda corporate who then spent 10 days contemplating what they would do for me. Their answer - "Too bad for you. Out of warranty go pound sand" Needless to say I am fuming and you can take this review as blowing off steam. With that said, the fact that I did everything right in regards to taking care of my Mazda CX-9 and the engine dies and needs complete replacement is the real take-away. Consider yourself warned. Don't walk - run away from this car.

51050