Used 2016 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews

Used CX-5 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons

My second CX5!

Angel, 08/06/2015
Touring 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 01/16 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I don't understand a lot of the reviews that I've seen here. I read some of the complaints and you could tell that these people forget what a car is supposed to be and do. They are complaining about the A/C, I haven't experienced any lack of cooling ability and I live in South Florida. This is an SUV meaning its bigger than a regular car so it takes more effort to cool, consider installing tinted window film if you need a cooler car. In terms of some of the other non-functioning or not to my liking features, please read the car manual, it is all in there. Some of the options could be disabled if it is too much work learning how to use them properly. This is a great car for the money, and it is the reason that I traded my 2014 for a brand new 2016. There was nothing wrong with the 2014, but having to get rid of my son's old car with high mileage, I found a great deal trading in both my cars for the new one. This car is the complete package; amazing performance, very safe, awesome looks, quality construction, very reliable and a bargain for your money. Like all cars, there are some flaws in the CX5, but so far I have not heard of the perfect car out there and probably never will, as each one of us have different needs and wants. That being said, the flaws I will talk about are minimal and won't affect your decision when buying a great performing SUV. 1) I wished the Bose Audio System was more powerful, I don't know if Bose decided to make a lower quality than usual system for Mazda or if it has to do with the speakers location but I certainly expect more from Bose. It is still a nice sound system and being packaged with the moonroof, makes sense for the price. The regular sound system with 6 speakers instead of the Bose 9, should be very weak. 2) I also consider the Technology Package a good addition unless you're comfortable following navigation instructions from a telephone, I prefer the car's GPS. It does take some getting used to versus the old tom-tom system, but I believe it's an upgraded version and you get 3 years of free map upgrades. 3) I could use more usb charging outlets, like behind the center console for the rear passengers, but again not a big deal. 4) I don't understand why the passenger seat has to be manually adjusted when it has six-way power driver seat. Again, no big deal. That being said, I love the new infotainment and its larger 7-inch touchscreen interface and the multifunction controller knob, it makes the whole driving experience better. You feel in control of all your needs with a touch of a button (music, phone, gps, etc.) The new electronic parking brake makes for a better looking cabin and extra space for you cellphone and/or wallet. I love the new keyless entry feature with just the press of a button at the doors and also the trunk. I definitely noted two big differences from my 2014 model, the quietness inside the cabin (which I love) and that is because Mazda added sound insulation for reduced road noise, and a smoother ride as a result of the revised suspension tuning. The smoother ride is something that I am still getting used to, being a speed junkie myself and a kart enthusiast I like a stiffer suspension, it gives me a better feel for the road. Nonetheless it makes for a more luxurious drive and I'm sure a lot of people will like that better. This is one of the things that is a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, Mazda added a "sport" mode selector that you can choose if you like higher revs and get the most out of its powerful engine. I am very happy with this vehicle. I have taken it on a long road trip and it is so comfortable, but also very responsive when you need to make a pass or speed up. I am sure everyone will find a comfortable position on the driver's seat. If you're looking for a compact SUV that feels bigger than it looks, gives you a quality ride without sacrificing performance and has anything you would like to have in today's car environment, look no further this is your car. Mazda quality has been proven for decades and their car engineering is at the top of the charts. I got my 2016 Touring CX5 with both packages (Technology and Moonroof/Bose), roof rack rails and crossbars for $27,000 (out the door), from an MSRP of just over $29K before taxes, fees and registration. You just can't get this type of vehicle with all the amenities, options and performance for that amount of money and the best part is that the Lexus, Audi and Acura owners who pay at least $10K more, still look mesmerized at you and your ride.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase

faizsafdar, 03/27/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 01/16 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded in my 2008 Mazda 3 for the more future family friendly cx-5. I was hesitant leaving my sporty 4 door sedan at first, but I couldn't be happier with my cx-5. It is a fun, fuel efficient, capable suv. We've taken it from Maryland to Atlanta for a road trip and was able to drive through a snow storm in the process (odd that NC got hit with a snow storm though). Nonetheless, it's awd handled great in the snow and the cx-5 produces confidence when driving in extreme confusions. The ride comfort is great considering how the suspension is tuned. If I had to be picky about it, I would say it is a little underpowered, but the sport mode alleviates this issue for me.

3 years in

K B, 02/14/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall it's a decent car. I like the overall appearance, handling, and layout of the interior. I like the hands-free infotainment control in the center console. No fingerprints on my touchscreen! Folding down the seats, I can fit my bike in the back without removing the front wheel. A few things need to be addressed by Mazda: --The Smart City Brake System (SCBS) is far too sensitive on my car. When making a left turn with the turn signal on, this system will activate (without cause) about 20% of the time. It's sensitive to any reflective light (e.g., reflective lane dividers or construction signs, sometimes my garage door opening). That's not a high percentage, but when you're drinking hot coffee it's 20% too high. I'd taken the car to the dealership for this 3 times, and they "weren't able to replicate the problem." --The rear brakes wore out before the front, which is really odd. I'm not an aggressive driver. I replaced the rear brakes around 45K miles, which isn't super early. Just thought the wear was strange. --The original windshield had to be replaced in under a year of having the car. It was horrible quality. --The car averages 25.5 mpg. Half of my work commute is uphill, so there's that. --My programmed radio stations spontaneously delete every 5-6 months. Not horrible, but annoying. --The latch on the middle console is quite fragile and broke off after about a year of owning the car. I fixed it using a method I saw on YouTube, as I wasn't willing to spend the money to have plastic replaced with more plastic. In all honesty, when it's time to get a new car, I would get another CX-5. But the Mazda dealership recently closed shop in my town, so I'll probably be getting something else. It seems every time I get any new car I have to take it in a few times for recalls or minor issues, and I don't want to have to drive far to go to a dealership. My town has an "auto row" with all the major auto makers. Mazda leaving was a surprise. UPDATE 2 MONTHS LATER: transmission failed at 55K miles, and was replaced under warranty. The SCBS increased in hypersensitivity to the point when I didn't know when my car would suddenly jerk and slow down on its own volition. Dealership couldn't replicate the problem. Got rid of it for KBB value right after the transmission change. Got a Honda. I strongly recommend anyone considering buying the CX-5 take it for an extensive test drive around reflective surfaces (e.g., lane dividers, road work signs, reflective paint at a certain coffee drive-thrus). Drive it during the day and at night. These seemed to be the triggers to the SCBS going off, and what was initially annoying became flat out dangerous.

Miata genes in a wagon body

Stu Cohen, 09/15/2016
Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I researched ten small crossovers and drove four of them. Hyundai had a much better warranty, Ford had more features for the price, and Subaru had that "go anywhere" reputation, but the CX-5 was substantially more fun to drive - for me, an important consideration. Plus, I already own a 2016 Miata, so I was familiar with the Mazda way of doing things. The Grand Touring comes with leather seating and 18" wheels, two features that I find uncomfortable, so I asked my dealership to find me a Soul Red Touring (17" wheels, cloth upholstery) with the Moonroof/Bose package. They did, the price was very reasonable, and they went to great lengths to make sure I was happy with my purchase. Which I mostly am. The red is just beautiful, the car is attractive in a chunky station wagon kind of way, it has some athletic moves - no Miata - but it accelerates and turns better than anything this side of a BMW, and gas mileage is phenomenal - mid 20s around town, low 30s on the interstate. Read on for the things I was less-than-thrilled with. Here's a warning for Serious Sirius listeners: I found out too late that the Sirius/XM receiver is included on the Touring ONLY with the Touring Technology Package, which I didn't ask for, and so didn't get. I got GPS Navigation, a backup camera, and blind-spot alert, but no satellite radio. NOTE: The Sirius receiver CANNOT be installed afterwards by the dealership. (Up through 2015 it could, but not so for the 2016 & 2016.5) NOTE: I've been using Pandora and a Sirius/XM APP in the car via my iPhone. Pandora is free, Sirius APP is $4/mo if you already have Sirius in another vehicle. These work reasonably well, but occasionally drop out, requiring me to re-select them via the audio source screen. Mildly annoying, but nothing I can't live with. Here's a warning for music streamers: Watch your cell phone's data usage! I had to up mine to an 8GB/mo plan so as not to have to ration my Pandora listening. Other small nitpicks: No useful armrests. I don't care, but my passenger/navigator/significant other complains about that. The center console lid is too far back to serve as an armrest. There is NO water temperature gauge! We have a prominent tachometer on this automatic-transmission vehicle, but no temp gauge? Call me old-fashioned, but I kind of like to know what's going on BEFORE the red indicator light comes on. The Engine Start button is directly behind the wiper stalk - right where someone not intimately familiar with the car won't look. I'll just assume that's an anti-theft feature. Finally, kudos to Mazda for including a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. Many car makers nowadays omit these. Having a flat can be a 15 minute roadside repair, or it can be an hours-long wait for a recovery truck after the sealant and compressor "tire repair kit" fails to work. However, did Mazda have to package the spare and tools in a huge chunk of styrofoam under the rear compartment floor? It looks flimsy because it IS flimsy. Even the much-maligned PT Cruiser that I used to have provided a sturdy under-car tire carrier and a tool pouch that stored in a lidded cubby in back. How hard would that have been to do? Overall, this is a really good car. If you like to drive but need a tall wagon, the CX-5 will do nicely. You'll like it even better if you're not as old and cranky as I am.

Great compact SUV

jim clune, 08/05/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 01/16 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Am an 80 year old, just retired. Wanted a versitleuseful compact 4wd for Northern MI bad weather. This car reminds me of the fun driving sports cars I Owned when younger and dumber. Have owned for 4 months and 3700 miles. Average in town mileage24 mpg, highway 29-32 mpg including 1700 mile trip to upstate NY. Bought all the tech available to compensate for age loss of reaction times. Radar cruise is astounding, choose your distance and car unobtrusively maintains it. Great for freewaydriving. Handling and braking superior to every competitor in this class Highly recommend to other seniors whowould like great handling and safety!!

My GT RoCkS!

S. Thomas, 01/01/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 01/16 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Thanks to several reviews here, I checked out the CX-5 GT and made the purchase. I had concerns about the techno features such as blind-spot monitoring, auto high beam controls, etc. I was shown how these features could be silenced or canceled if desired. I read some complaints about the NAV or Bose radio and they're just wrong. Read the manual, optimize the tone settings, this Bose system RocKs! Still digging deeper into these features. Too many to mention! Tech pkg. comes with LED lighting which are amazing! Really lights the road very well at night. I've had it less than one week and one tank of fuel already yielding 28+mpg in mixed driving on regular fuel. Surpasses expectations there and overall feel and quality. Handles like on rails! Just one small demerit is the ride may be too firm for some. Coming from a VW Tiguan, it's firmer than that but my bod not uncomfortable after a 3 hour ride. Pretty sure it's due to the 19'' wheels and V rated Toyo tires. Move to the Touring model which has 17'' wheels if this bothers you. Seats are great and has many adjustments. I was considering the RAV4 but Mazda seemed superior in many ways and the seats seemed to be more comfy than the RAV which one of my main concerns.

Some kid got another chance at life!

Jennifer S, 09/15/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have to say I am very impressed with my car right now. I bought my new Mazda back in June and it has all the bells and whistles and a lot of technology in it, as most cars do now. But this is my first one to buy like this. I have to sadly admit, I bought the car because I like the wheels. Yes, I am a typical woman and bought it for its looks, its speed and comfort. I was even made fun of, by a few, because of this reason. Anyway, as I was driving to pick my middle kid up from school, I was going through a school zone in front of the high school. School zone here is 35 mph, and NO I wasn't speeding as most would ask. I was actually almost at a stop because I approached an intersection and with the light turning green I started to accelerate. So as I have my foot pressing the gas, a truck next to me made a sharp turn into my lane to avoid hitting a kid who decided to cross the intersection at the wrong time. Well I guess the kids reaction was to run for some reason...also in front of me. Now mind you, while still pressing the gas (because this was a half second), my car makes some weird noise and it brakes. My car comes to a complete stop in front of this kid! I couldn't register what was happening or why it happened because my hearts beating so fast. My car would not move for several seconds, and an alert came on that said "SmartBrake Support Activated." Something along that line. Although I was not going very fast, this kid could have been seriously injured or run over and killed. With this little bit of technology I would have no doubt, hit him. Well done Mazda, well done!

Will never leave Mazda again!

Elise, 04/30/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a Mazda CX-9 which I LOVED! I have always said it was the best car I have ever owned. My lease was ending and I decided in 2014 to try something packed with more technology and fun and didn't feel I needed a larger car, so I leased a Nissan Rogue. Within months I knew it was not the car for me. No pick up, no fun... I regretted it! Don't get me wrong, the panoramic sunroof and 360 camera were AWESOME, but the driving experience was awful. 2 years in, I traded my lease in and got a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring with tech package and I remembered why I love Mazda. My husband has a 2014 and the upgrades are amazing on the 2016.5! Screen is gorgeous, infotainment and knob control are amazing. The back up camera is so sharp and bright! The LED headlamps and fog lights are gorgeous. The new grill is beautiful. I got Titanium Flash Mica and Parchment Leather interior (you know I had to love the look because I have 2 dogs and 2 young boys and the look still outweighed all that! I got seat covers for the back!) and it just looks like a more expensive car! The drive... SO FUN! It truly is! You have to actually experience it to understand! I have had this car for over a month and am so much more impressed than I was with the Rogue. The seats are even comfortable! The sport button makes this car really zoom zoom. There is no competition. Mazda all the way!

Toyota Buyer turned Zoom Zoom convert

Kapsi, 10/05/2016
Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Come from a Toyota family - the one's who do not care much about driving and a car is an appliance to them. Test drove the CX-5 / Rogue and Tucson for 2016 models. Wife did the same. We felt the CX-5 was head and shoulders above the other two. Here are some important summary points: 1. Sport mode is very responsive, for a slight pedal pressure it will go, good for merging on highways and good for passing at higher speeds. 2. The suspension is stiff - a toyota mutes even the smallest bumps in road - not this one. And the suspension being stiff is great for handling / cornering. You get more confidence riding this. 3. Skyactive engine suffers mpg hit at higher speeds - This is true for many cars, check what speeds the EPA uses to estimate - if you always go 75mph category you may not get the rated EPA. But still this beats Rav4 / CRV on mpg. Only the Rogue is close but it has a CVT and handles like a Frankenstein. 4. Value for money is great - Mazda is no Toyota, for them to get customers they have to give more features. BSM / RCTA / Power seats at a sub 26,000 MSRP is much better value than Toyota for example. 5. Crash / Safety : Frequent member on CX-5 forums, some of the ones who have been in a car crash had rollovers and were able to get out of the car safely. They are all re-buying CX-5. Solidly built vehicle. We frequently get posts about 2015 users buying 2016 with their insurance money. 6. This has all the cargo you need, you may have that one occasion a year when you will miss the extra 5 cu.ft. of space in Rav4 or CRV but the daily driving experience will make up for it. 7. Real value is driving this on scenic highways through mountains and curvy roads - Scenic Hgwy 88 in Arkansas or something similar, it will put a smile on your face. This is a good gift for a dad / car driving enthusiast who wants a car - not an appliance which can also carry out the mundane tasks of commuting / kids to school etc.

First New Car in 15 Years

C.H.Nowicki, 08/28/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 01/16 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After two years of exhaustive research I selected the 2016 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring as my first new car in 15 years, and have had it for 19 months. I am the original owner of a 1984 Mazda RX7 with 107k miles...looks and drives like new, awsome; Mazdas are reliable, well engineered, and great lines. My terrific dealer surprisingly gave me the Mazda loyalty discount for having my classic RX7 (still a rotary rocket). I also regularly drive my two Hondas; a '92 Civic straight drive and '98 van both with over 270k miles, in amazing shape, so I checked out and test drove the Honda CRV and Nissan Rogue before buying. Compared to my old cars, this CX5 Grand Touring is like driving a luxury space ship! The manual is as thick as an encyclopedia. The interior is sophisticated but sporty, and the beautiful parchment ventilated leather seats are not comfortable at all if driving for more than 20 minutes. They are hard as a rock. My first passanger for a 5 hr. road trip complained. I had to buy a 3" thick tempra foam seat cushion for me because my back hurt and my leg went numb. I also bought a seat cushion for a passanger. It handles like a car, similar to my RX7, so its really fun to drive, not at all like an SUV. The front wheel drive suspension is stiff and bouncy / jiggly, you feel every pebble, and you have to really slow down on a sharp turn because of the high center of gravity. My mother almost got scalded trying to drink a cup of coffee in the rear seat. I should have gotten the all wheel drive suspension. That's what I test drove and it seamed smoother, but in Piedmont North Carolina I didn't need it. The visability is good, sits high like the van, but harder to see out the back past the head rests so the rear camera crucial. Mazda needs to add memory position to the driver seat for the Grand Touring model. Really needs a rear hatch release in the cabin....who doesnt have that? The 9 speaker Bose stereo is AWFUL. All of the sound is in the front, even with the fade set all the way to the rear. No base at the floor. I love Bose and own several Bose speaker systems and a wave radio that makes my kitchen sound like symphony hall! What happened? This is a real problem Mazda, and engineers, hang your heads. All contols set right to get a modicum of detectable separation. Muffled..not crisp sound. Love the joy stick control, perfect ergonomic locations for everything like my RX7, except why is the start button behind the steering wheel not visable? The navigation system is hard to program. Even the dealer had trouble. The moonroof is awsome, the air works great, LOVE the blind spot and rear cross check detection, and rear back up camera. It's BEAUTIFUL. Went to buy the red......ended up with the brown looking Titanium Flash Mica. Biggest issue so far...the rock chips!! Everytime I drive it on the highway, I get at least one chip in the hood! I have 8 chips already, down to bare metal and have not driven near any construction vehicles. The paint layer is microscopically thin! I have used the touch up paint pen, so my hood paint job is ruined..full of little paint dots now, and I wash and detail it weekly using McGuire's. Frustrating. Buy the $800 clear film hood protection if you are ever going to be on a highway, or a wind deflector which would prevent a few of them. I'm eventually going to buy a mask to cover them. The CX5 is sporty, classy, with beautiful windswept lines, (I'm a designer by trade) and agressive looking for fun. But if you have a bad back, steer clear of the leather seats, get the all wheel drive suspension, and know that you will need to install an aftermarket base speaker if you like good music. Gas mileage averages 26 mpg. Three recalls in one year: fuel filler tube, rear hatch supports, and a sensor. Never having a recall in 30 years, not thrilled, but dealer says with computerized cars now days the norm.

12345...28