Used 2008 Lincoln MKX Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Lincoln MKX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MKX model:

Keeps on keeping on!
By Carol Anson

2008 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 10 years and 170,000+ miles, I am still pleased with this car. Very few repairs, very dependable and super comfortable!

Good size; comfortable ride
By shellygg

2008 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Liked that this is a crossover so you sit up a higher than a car but it is not a huge step up to get in. Comfortable ride that handles well in ice and snow. Not very good gas mileage, but I expected that. Heated driver's seat stopped functioning about 6 months after 4-year warranty ran out and would have been very expensive to repair. Voice recognition of synced phone was spotty across multiple phones that I had over the years and it sometimes lost my phone-book. Rusted parts on the underside happened more readily than past foreign cars that I owned.

The Year Report
By Vince

2008 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car a little later in its life, got it used in 2017 with 58,000 miles on it. Man, it’s still in the race though with luxury cars that have came out years ahead and even in to now. I think the vehicle even in 2018 looks very stylish and up to date, the features it has are also still very current and practical. The sync system works well even with my iPhone 8 and the navigation system has always been able to direct me to any place I needed to go. I feel like Lincoln as a brand has gotten a lot of negative attention in terms of not being a “real” luxury brand. Honestly I feel like this vehicle was miles ahead of any Cadillac that came out in 2008 or even in to today. The only feature I wish I had was a reverse camera but the parking sensors help out nicely. I have about 69,000 miles on it now and have had no problems at all. I think this car is for sure one that is worth a look, especially pre-owned.

Takata Airbag recall.
By John

2008 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Back in July 2016 I received a recall notice for my 2008 Lincoln MKX regarding a Takata airbag issue. The recall notice indicated this issue could result in death and/or great bodily harm or serious injury. For a year and a half I've been trying to get this issue addressed with negative results with my local Lincoln dealership (Island Lincoln), finally prompting me to contact Lincoln corporate in Dearborn, Michigan. So I wrote to Lincoln's CEO expressing my concern for this recall, the possibility of death or serious harm per the recall notice, my continued email correspondence with my local Lincoln dealership, and seeking some type of assurance regarding this issue.

What I received was a response from Lincoln advising me not to use the front passenger seat of my vehicle to preclude any issue. Mind you I've been using the front seat of my Lincoln MKX for the past year and a half, where my wife sits, and this is the first time I've been informed not to use the front passenger seat of my own automobile. In addition, the recall notice says nothing about not using the front passenger seat and Lincoln's website indicates the issue of the airbag isn't a safety issue and can be used safely until repaired. So which is it? If my wife and I go out to eat with another couple, does she have to squeeze into the back seat with the other couple for safety reasons, as per Lincoln and I drive by myself, or can she ride up front in safety according to Lincoln's website? Is Lincoln lying or misleading? This June is 2 years waiting. Beware this vehicle and recall. Injuries from exploding Takata airbags can be downright gruesome.
Police responding to the scene of a minor car accident in California believed the driver had been shot in the face. At another crash site in Georgia, police thought the female driver was a murder victim because of the wounds on her throat. In both cases, the drivers died. The cause of their injuries: a Takata airbag. The recall notice says nothing about not using the front passenger seat. However, Lincoln wrote me not to use it! Beware!!

Ford provided me a rental vehicle that I've been using the past 6 months, a 2017 Ford Escape, at no charge. It's now August 2018 and the recall notice I received on my Lincoln MKX was July 2016. That's two years running!! Ford had me sign some affidavit that I wouldn't use, or allow to be used by anyone else, my Lincoln MKX. Now my Lincoln MKX sits parked in my condo parking lot for 6 months straight, unable to be used or driven, in a harsh salt water environment on the ocean. The worst thing you can do is allow a vehicle to sit long term without being used.

The Ford Escape is an okay car but it's no Lincoln MKX in terms of driving experience, comfort, features, etc.. If I go another 6 months in this rental Ford Escape, with consideration of the trade in value of my Lincoln MKX, Lincoln would or should find a way to see fit to place me in a brand new Lincoln MKC with what they're paying Hertz long term for the Escape combined with my MKX trade in value..., which would seem or appear to be the right and proper thing to do in terms of customer service and customer satisfaction; not to mention convenience for me. I have to renew the contract with Hertz every month, one month by phone, and the next month by physically visiting Hertz with the Ford Escape to complete the rental paperwork. Hertz is not right around the corner.

I should add Lincoln has been responsive and accommodating but the truth and hard fact is my family and I were put at risk, and in possible jeopardy, for nothing more than the monetary bottom line in my opinion. Google the phrase "Takata airbag recall" and read about the severe injuries and death. That alone tells the whole story. Lincoln has an opportunity here like no other, an opportunity to really do the right thing in terms of true customer satisfaction. This experience has been a true paroxysmal cephalalgia for me. And the migraine persists with little to no abatement in sight.

Been a great ride
By Been a great ride

2008 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this new and thought I’d get tired of it early on. Have driven this car across country many times, and have grown to love it. Would definitely buy another one, but I think I’m going to keep this one for a few more years. It’s that good!!!