Used 1999 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used LS 400 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

The most reliable & comfortable car in the world!

afriend4life, 09/01/2013
4dr Sedan

I've owned a dozen cars in the past: 2 Cadillac's, Jaguar, 3 BMW's, Infiniti, Corvette - most I've owned for 12-15 months and had to invest $1700-$3300 per year on maintenance. I've owned '99 LS400 for 3+ years & it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - my ex, Lexus SC430 was just as good, & they both have the "world's most reliable engine" award. I do a safety inspection once a year & surprised to hear that all is good, no problems with suspension, engine or transmission. I'm only changing oil every 10K miles (using Amsoil), brakes last long & tires are good for 70K miles. Besides better handling that my ex-BMW 540i had - this Lexus has been such a pleasure to own & joy to ride!

Me and my Lexus LS 400

padevlin, 04/22/2005
4dr Sedan

I just purchased this car about one week ago; it is the best car that I have owned during my 53 years of driving and I have driven just about all of them. I could not afford a new one; had to settle for a used one. It is in excellent shape for a 6 year old car. Heavy miles but in excellent condition. I can't decide which I like best: the design or the drive? It is a fabulous car and I am glad that I finally own one. It is a real thrill to put the pedal down and feel the surge of the powerful V8 after driving a V6 over the last 5 years.

It's True, the BEST Sedan Made

MrPino, 11/20/2011
4dr Sedan

I've owned over 50 cars in my old age and the 99 LS400 is one of the best. I also have a LS430 but find myself driving the LS400 the most. These cars are powerful, quiet, extremely relaxing to drive and get very good gas mileage. With proper maintenance, the LS400 will go 400,000 miles without a problem. I've owned 21 different Lexus cars and still consider the 1998-2000 year models to be the best.

Best Lexus ever made

anna, 04/12/2009
4dr Sedan

Best Lexus ever mAde. Best car money can buy you, no mechanical problems, no oil leaks. It mind bubling that germans can't make qualiy cars. I never see BMW, MB, VW or AUDI with 100000 miles and no leaks. But Lexus can go no problem to 300,000 miles without any issues. It is a tank-comfy one, looking good, very fast. If you're willing to pay a speeding ticket just hit the accelerator and in a heartbeat you get 155 mph. I did update my wheels to 18", that got me big improvement in handling and cornering, it was worth it. Car that you could trust, will not get you stuck.

True touring sedan

tb7600, 03/28/2005
4dr Sedan

This is a true touring sedan -- fast and smooth -- stylish -- reliable -- comfortable. This is my second LS 400,owned a 94 model and 99 model. It will be very hard to sell me on another make besides Lexus. If you want a sedan that does it all, this is your car. From 80 mph to 140 mph this car is amazing. The traditional sedan owners are totally unaware of the LEXUS !!!!!!

Excellent, comfortable car

micahberry, 03/05/2012
4dr Sedan

Excels on the interstate, where it absorbs pavement irregularities superbly. It is a comfortable traveling car for my family. This is not a back road burner – the LS400 features a lot of body roll, which is to be expected as part of the design. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable long-range cruising car. I purchased this car with 113k miles. As of this writing, it has 140k. I have had to replace the starter, which I have learned through owner’s forums is a wearable item. In addition, rubber suspension bushings on the car should be replaced to keep the incredible Lexus ride. Thankfully, they don’t need to be replaced but once every 10 years or so!

Smooth Jazz On Wheels

lexpilot, 05/01/2002
4dr Sedan

My 99 LS 400 5 speed is much faster than my 97 4 speed. I've owned expensive cars for 20 years and this is my favorite. A usable hotrod. Perfect for trips. Concert sound going down the road. Quiet inside. The most restful car on a trip around. Room to put your luggage. In short a perfect long distance cruiser. No wonder there are a lot of high mileage LS 400's around.

Where have I been?

Allen Wilson, 02/21/2003
4dr Sedan

After a friend purchased a '98 ES 300, and seeing how quiet, well designed and smooth it was, I was forever taken by the Lexus name. My next venture was to find a bigger version, which of course is the LS. After test driving one, I was amazed at the smoothness of the ride, the accurate control, the solid, tight and assuring feel of the steering. I bought one a month later..

99 LS400

Richard Corder, 05/20/2006
4dr Sedan

My 3rd Lexus, the most reliable brand I have even owned. Zero problems with the car, strong performance, highway mileage is in excess of 27 mpg. Dealer service is outstanding, follow up from the manufacturer is excellent.

the legend lives on !

rockinbaz, 02/05/2012
4dr Sedan

hi this is the 6th lexus ls400 i have owned and they really are the best kept secret , its so so quiet , its the "sound of silence " the one i have now is a late 1999 model with cream/beige soft leather, its got more toys than toys r us...i did have a 430 but i like the 400 better its done 152 k i paid £2000 for it its just fantastic i would like to have one of the last 100 built in 2000 , and before i pop my clogs i will have one, i am 69 and i live in bolto ... oh and the dealers are simply the best a lexus owner can get !

51050