Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

IS300 Lexus on a mission
By Richard

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my Lexus is300 after 2 years of ownership the car was great. nice exterior and sporty and unique interior. The inline 6 engine was smooth like butter. and the low end torque was very nice! The car was fairly reliable the only thing I changed was the brakes, alternator, oil changes. The car was a joy to drive I sold it with 142000 miles. The main reason I sold it was its fuel economy which is weak point of the car I was averaging 20 mpgs every week driving very conservatively.

Best Car I've Had
By mchad001

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Been driving it since it had 81k miles, it now has 124k miles - all of which were driven quite enthusiastically. Not a single issue.

I put a few mods into the car (coilovers, headers, intake, tune, exhaust, chassis braces) and it really wakes the car up! Adds to the already nimble handling of this car.

Exterior has aged amazingly, and people are surprised that mine is 13 years old.

The engine bay is very easy to work on as well.

The comfort of a lexus with a great sporty touch. Smooth and quick-shifting automatic transmission with steering wheel controls. The steering wheel!! Concise, feels sexy, and no un necessary buttons to distract you. A very pure and connected driving experience. Handling is top notch, but a bit harsh even when I was on stock suspension.

While the seats are extremely comfortable, they get dirty easily. I have the beige interior option and it is high maintenance for sure. Replacing them with recaro bucket seats soon. Dash gets sticky and nasty in warm climates.

The best car I've ever owned.
By macvill

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Is300 is a great but rare mixture of sport, luxury, and reliability. I bought this car 2 years ago and the only maintenance performed was scheduled oil changes ($26 btw) and basic system flushes. The engine is smooth and the exhaust note is oh so pleasing to the ear especially in a parking garage. I found that the body aged well and I got compliments often. It's a "higher end" Toyota, but I'd definitely put it on the top of the list for a great used car.

The exhaust note is sex to the ears and much like the waters of the Caribbean, the stereo system is clear,crisp, and deep. I liked the ECT mode which made the transmission hold gears longer for optimized acceleration. There is a full size spare tire with tools (pliers, screwdrivers etc) that come stock with the car which is easily overlooked. It's the little things, friends.

If only it had about 50 or 60 more horsies and pounds of torque, I'd scream with joy. The rears seats did not fold which isn't terrible if you're an eligible bachelor/bachelorette. The 02 had a cheap velvet-like clothe on the doors and seats that got dirty easily and would break down over time. As you can probably guess, replacement parts are a bit expensive.

Dont buy
By bulld

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you have about 6k to spend in parts this car is perfect for you, if you dont have that dont get this car, parts are expensive, very hard car to work on. But maybe you get lucky I had alot of bad luck with mine. Also dont try to drive when roads are bad outside.

Steering

Quarter Million Mile IS
By woodworking101

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't believe it's been 11+ years w/my car. I still remember the rush of the test drive. I took an on-ramp aggressively w/the salesman next to me & we both smiled. I couldn't believe I was in a sedan, let alone a Lexus. It was better handling than my old Eclipse Turbo. Better road feel, more grip, similar body roll & much faster turn-in. After a little negotiating, she was mine. I've been a Toyota guy since '88, but even I can't believe how reliable this car's been. Oh, there've been the usual tires, brakes & oil changes along w/one timing belt & one clutch. My odo is @ 248K mi & the only unscheduled maintainence I've done is a set of o2 sensors, ball joints & a fuel pump.

Engine. It may not be the fastest car in the world, but it offers strong, usable power at any rpm and sounds silky smooth all the time. If you've ever driven an old Jaguar inline six, you'll remember the sound again. Balance. I remember reading that the engineers mass-centralized the vehicle to reduce the moment of inertia. It worked, the car lane changes instantaneously. A great point & shoot city vehicle. Clutch. I've had several Hondas and their clutches may be smooth, but they lack the mechanical feedback of this clutch. Was a little balky at first but after about 20K miles and a changeover to synthetic trans oil, just about perfect.

Unfortunately, the suggested improvements of the masses have already ruined the IS series for me. I've driven both the '06 and '13 redesigns. The IS no longer has the steering feel the gen1 model did, it no longer has the wonderful I6 melody, it's overloaded with tech glitz instead of the simple interior of the original, it's longer, it's heavier, it has much worse sight lines, and most unforgivable of all - no manual transmission. Thank goodness mine still runs like new as i have no idea what I'd get next, probably a BMW w/a very expensive extended warranty.