Used 2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Diamond in the rough?
By Jamie T.

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It's not a Honda or Toyota, and doesn't pretend to be. But, for what it is, it does its job quite well. I get 30Mpg out of mine, mostly highway. It's relatively quiet, well-mannered, and unassuming. I bought mine for $550 at a used lot, replaced the battery, alternator, brakes and had 4 new Douglas (by Kelly tire) all season tires installed.
One year later, my wife has taken possession of this car. I have replaced the plugs, coils, wires, and the respective electrical connector for the coils. A can of Seafoam later, it's running even better than it did after I bought it. I've been looking into something newer for her, but she absolutely refuses to give up the Spectra. I guess that says all I need to say.

15 years with my kia a not problems !
By javier

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It s not a strong car at all but is good enough if you have good driving habits I bought this car 0 miles and now have 113,200 and runs very good after 15 years! in city 22 mpg in highway 30 mpg

It's a car
By watobot

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Slow but practical. The automatic transmission is probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I've had mine for almost 2 years, and it's never left me stranded, so it's more reliable than you would expect from a Kia. If you put the back seats down, it's surprisingly big inside. Interior isn't worth mentioning.

Hatchback

An automatic gearbox that doesn't feel like a it's made out of Jell-o. Gear changes take forever and makes the car accelerate far slower than it should, given it's okay power:weight

Kia Specrta GSX
By sporty90

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All and all this car is great for the money, the performance of this car is amazing in my eyes. Fun to drive, with its rated 125 horsepower, add a little aftermarket adjustments this car could have a great future. never had a problem for the engine. now at 109,000 miles still drives like brand new!!!!

short, yet stiff gearbox. sound system is very suprising, oh and the 6000k H.I.D's that i installed, the projectors headlights that Kia installed. the leather wrapped stearing wheel has great craftsmanship!

I wish they would have made the dash out of much better qualities. and all other interior parts !

Worst Car Ever
By MS

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but issues since it was purchased. It had only 60,000 miles on it which is generally ok and since it wasn't a car for commuting, the mileage wasn't a big deal. After replacing the brake lights- needed new wiring harness, the brake system, the passenger side window that decided to not roll up one day. and various "check engine" lights and sensors later, the Kia WAS working. But alas, now the driver side window fell down by itself while parked in my driveway. It's not even worth the money that's already been dumped into it so at this point, I'm hoping the broken window gives someone some incentive to steal it.

Gas Mileage.

A working product would be nice.