Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 178 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

It’s a Jeep
By Joeyonions

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The reason I still have it with 140K miles the 08 came with a lifetime power warrenty . If something goes wrong the fix it .

Death Wobble
By John

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Drive over a bumpy road and see if there is a death wobble.

Fun to Drive - Build Quality is Poor
By Emmie

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The vehicle could be fun to drive, but the build quality is poor. By 2008 an engineer should have been able to design rain gutters on a car that don't funnel the water in to soak your leg as you open the door. The hood latches became worn and had to be replaced to keep the hood from vibrating at speed.The lights behind the climate control knobs go on and off. I have had to replace relays (and the manual didn't clearly state they are located in various areas of the engine), deal with rattles, a rear wiper washer fluid hose leaking in the back of the vehicle and now it has developed what I am told is the classis 3.8L V6 lifter problem. $1,500+ repair. I am trying to love this car, but the issues are making it difficult.

It's a Jeep thing!!
By Myla

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my JK 2008 with 58K on it two years ago; I also put the same or more of that amount on it up to today. Never an issue with the engine except one of the wheel lugnut pins broke off. Needs a lot of love in gas and oil but it is expected since I drive all over the place. My mom has a Jeep Renegade Sport Trailhawk 2015 and ton of issues with the electronics; she also claims its a tougher ride then mineand her sound system sucks. She is getting a Wrangler after her lease is over. For the capability: In one of the biggest blizzards that hit the NYC area in Jan/ 2018, I plowed through it like nothing, leaving behind big SUV's stuck in the snowbanks (lol SORRY! You shoud have bought the Jeep fellas!). I am tiny 5'2" young female so the only issue is me climbing into it. Everyone who is complaining about the comfort should stop complaining. Everyone who knew anything about the Jeeps knew it was not built for the city dwellers. My Jeep goes from snow to sand terrains; hauls 4-5 ppl and a big dog; snowboards, skees, and surfboards. And biggest thing of all is the safety! On two different ocassions two mature drivers decided to rear-ended my Jeep, and both had their cars totaled; mine had minor scratches on the rear bumper. This should be anyone's priority over the comfort and speed. Did I mention its cool? You can turn it into anything you want with custom parts, and Police will smile and thumb-up at you instead of chase you down for looking street-illegal. Best present my mom could have given me! Go get one!

A few problems over the years but I love it.
By Otto Kudrna

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I will start out with the negative. I have had the brake calipers seize up on me and burn up the breaks. just one at a time but all four did seize up at one time or another. Obviously this required a brake job but to fix the calipers, I just popped out the pistons, cleaned out the cylinder and replace the seal. Only cost a couple of $ each to do and about 15-20 minutes per. The break lines will rust through and you will loose your breaks. This is covered under an extended manufacturers warranty until 2020. The front windshield defroster is absolutely horrible. In many situations, only the front middle 50% of the windshield defrosts but the outer sections will not clear. For the driver this means that you can loose all visibility to the left front of the vehicle with out getting out and clearing off the ice and snow. Non existent arm rest for the left arm/elbow and a poor one for the right (driver side). Installed after market ones to make the vehicle comfortable. Wind noise at highway speeds, this is a fact but to be expected due to the non existent aerodynamics of the body stile. This is not a complaint just a known and expected fact. For Jeep Wrangler owners/enthusiasts this is not an issue or problem. For others it might be If you want no wind noise, get a Grand Cherokee. Poor gas millage. This is just a fact for this type of vehicle. If you want good gas millage get a Jeep Compass. But I would not give this vehicle up for the world. I just love it. Mine is still in perfect cosmetic condition and it is not garage kept. Even with the Chicago winter salt conditions. I just replaced my tires for the first time after 70K Miles The OEM tires were OK but not great. Mine has the 18" rim option so tire choice is a bit limited. I replaced mi warn out tires with Cooper Discoverer AT/3 265-70 R18 tires, one size larger than stock for the stock rims and I love the vehicle even more than before. I do take the vehicle hunting a couple of times a year so the off road function is actually used for other things than Ice and Snow as an average suburban housewife would use it for. I am not sory that I purchased this vehicle at all. I want to keep it as long as I can.