Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 219 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

It's a love/hate relationship
By Caylee

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought this Jeep in 2008. It was a fun, sporty car-something that was a bit different. I started driving it primarily when it was handed down to me in 2011. Since I have had it, the transmission has needed to be replaced, air conditioning and one of the speakers that had blown. Now, being honest, I am also one who likes to drive more pedal to the metal. Brakes have needed to be replaced a bit more than usual. It does not do well speeding up. Sure, once you get going it hits 85-90 mph just fine, but it makes a lot of noise to get there. I've also had a couple of moments where I've gone and the pedal would literally be hitting the bottom and the car for some reason would stall and only go about 15-20 mph until it kicked in. It also does not do very well in the winter. I live in the midwest, so we get to see all seasons and the weather that comes with it. It does horrible in the snow and sometimes even after a heavy rain. It does have nice climate control inside. The AC does wonders, and defrost works pretty quickly in the winter as well. It is nice to park in tight spaces and makes tight turns pretty nicely also. It is more of a smaller SUV size, but still packs a lot into it. The rear bench seat folds completely down and can haul a lot. The gas tank doesn't really hold a lot, maybe 11 gallons? I usually have to fill up about every 270 miles (and that's pushing it). All in all, its a nice little jeep. Hauls a lot and can be fun to drive, but not great for bad weather conditions and has some bad blinds spots as well. From what I have heard, 2008 was a bad year for the Jeep Patriot also, so hopefully they have made some improvements since then.

Amazing!
By Ignatz

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm still impressed with it after 250,000 miles. CVT was replaced under warranty -- dealer gave me a Chrysler to use while it was being repaired and the whole incident didn't cost me anything. Had a wiring problem at 190,000 miles and realized I'd hardly spent anything on repairs up till then so I went ahead and put out $1000 for a new engine harness. That was two years ago and I've had no significant problems since. Patriot is easy on gas and I'm an easy driver so my fuel economy is consistently in the high 20s MPG and it gets into the 30s on a long trip if I stay under 60MPH. Mine is FWD which helps the fuel economy. FWD is great in the snow and we get plenty here in NH. I don't do any serious off-roading but my Patriot handles marginal dirt roads and trails with no problems. Not only would I buy another, I did: we got a 2014 for my Wife -- also a great vehicle.

Update: I'm now at 268,000 miles and still running well. Only major repair since my last review is that I replaced my shocks and struts all around. Those were my originals and I'm very impressed they lasted that long. We get a lot of frost heaves and potholes in this area.

Another update: I've since sold my beloved Patriot to a friend. As of last week he's still driving it and reports no problems. It must be getting close to 300,000 miles now. I miss it, but with that many miles I felt it was time for something newer because I do a lot of driving in the winter months and in the mountains. If I didn't go so far from home I'd still own my Patriot. It was a darn good and reliable machine.

Heep patriot
By Andrew Roberts

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm disappointed that jeep would put their name on it. My wife and I have had nothing but problems with this (I call it heep patriot).mainly with the suspension!but also brakes, inlinement,the way it handles. 4×4?why?I get nervous just on the public side roads that are a little bumpy.we can't even put more than 600 lbs in the back of the front seats. We've had for about 4 years now and still owe a lot of money and constantly trying to keep up with just keeping it on the road. My butt hurts!once we get out of this trap,I'm so going to enjoy blowing this thing up.

The jeep
By Nicholas Walker

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I recommend really looking over a car before you buy it. Do the extra mile that I did not. After purchasing, within a month my suspension is making a lot of noise and I've had to change the brake pads. Seems I bought a bad vehicle, but that does not mean you will. It still is a decently nice car.

Still running like a champ
By Jose

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my patriot on 2007 the only thing I have done to it is replaced the battery twice, the Good Year tires only lasted for 23000 miles, replace the air filter every year or wen needed, plugs twice,oil wen the computer tells me just hit 50 000 miles, I drive from Phoenix to the Bay area twice a year, what helps me to keep the milage down is that i work 4 miles from work, love my patriot