Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

It's always something, but it's always going.
By Shawn

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

You'll have to fix it fairly frequently, but as long as you make the repairs, these things can get up to 250k+ miles. The 4.0-liter I6 just keeps on going, but other issues pop up, like bad fans, melty electronics, and self-lowering windows. Interior holds up pretty well and is tough. Body holds up well, and this thing has more than enough torque. Sometimes the transmission searches a bit, and it can feel like the Flintstones' car when you stop suddenly, but it'll get you where you need to go and do it well.

My 2001 Jeep GC Limited
By Ric

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Quadratrac GC and this car is a beast! Yeah, gas mileage sucks but at 5500 lbs gross weight and all time all wheel drive, I'm not sure what people expect. Reliability is good but as the car gets up in mileage things do go wrong. I'm not a mechanic but handy and the list of things I've done to my GC is endless. New fluids all around except brakes. Rear brakes, brake line, rear wheel bearing, drag link tie rods, steering stabilizer, heater core and AC evaporator, blend doors, window motors on 3 of 4 windows, front and rear shocks and probably some other minor stuff that's not coming to mind. I live in FL and have not done much off road except your occasional mud swell but know this vehicle is an exceptional off road machine. I use it mainly as a second run-around vehicle and to tow my 21 foot aquasport to the water. These cars are a dime a dozen and if you find a "good one" it could last you well into the 300-400k mileage. My last one was a 1999 GC and I sold it for $2100 bucks with 250K miles plus. If you're mechanically inclined and can do the work yourself, you're in luck, as the parts are relatively inexpensive and the car itself is pretty easy to work on. The long of the short: not the most reliable car but for the jeep enthusiast this is a crown jewel.

Great Vehicle....
By bowdixs

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When you buy a used vehicle you should know that there will be repairs that need to be made. I bought this Jeep knowing that it needed repairs....to me its a project vehicle ... its what I do...there is basically nothing I can't do to a vehicle. It took me a month to get it up to speed with everything working. It drives great, handles very well and will get me to the ski hill this winter. All vehicles have issues from new to used, and yes it can get costly...I'm always looking for project vehicles at a good price...gives me something to do...

A used car from heaven
By James

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First and foremost we should all be cognoscente of repairs that are caused by the user. I bought this car with 110k miles and it is now at 221k with minimal work required. I do all of the standard maintenance myself. Religious oil changes, fluid checks, inspections. I do have 2 codes reading on my car but it still runs great and it will only cost a few hundred to fix. This was my second car, I bought it for 3000 dollars used knowing the owner was good with maintenance. My AC does not work but I can fix that my self. The overall value this car has brought me is amazing. I bet I can get this beast to 300k miles!

Excellent winter car.
By Richard stout

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall very good automobile. Some noise and vibration especially underneath. Specifically drive train vibration (rear end, drive shafts.) V8 engine very responsive. Quadratrac II 4 wheel drive is second to none. Poor fuel mileage. A/C not up to par. Drivers position is ergonomically satisfying. Dealer support, mediocre at best.
Quality of materials is satisfactory. By the way, the engine in this vehicle is a 4.7L V8 not the 4L straight 6.