Used 2008 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Great Family SUV
By Dillys

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We previously owned a Jeep Liberty and had to upgrade in size. The Liberty was a great Jeep, so we decided to stay in the Jeep family. For a family of four, the Commander has been awesome. The kids love riding in the third row because their feet reach the floor - only suitable for little ones because there's no leg room. The front is very spacious and controls are easily accessible to both the driver and passenger. I don't much care that there isn't much storage behind the third row when it's up, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. We look forward to our road trip next month because we'll have plenty of room for comfort and storage. Overall we are very pleased with this vehicle.

Third row for the kids - keeps them out of adult conversations. Stadium seating allows small children to see out the windows better. A/C vents and control in rear are a MUST have in Texas. Middle row three way fold down is very convenient also. Back up sensors are great when 3rd row is up.

When 3rd row is up, it nearly blocks out entire back window so you can't see out your review - must depend solely on side mirrors and back up sensors. More storage behind 3rd row would be nice also, or at least in floor storage and find somewhere else to store spare tire equipment.

08 OVERLAND
By ANTHONY DEFRANCESCO

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

After owning about 8 new jeeps over the past 16 years i was very impressed with the commander. My prior 06 commander had the 4.7 V8 and was underpowered. The HEMI is just right. I purchased a loaded overland model as it is truly the ultimate Jeep. The rear camera is helpful especially when using the third seat. It is a very solid vehicle. I like the styling as it reminds me of my first 1993 jeep cherokee country. I average 16mpg and on a round trip to Cleveland from Albany NY my average was 18. I drove around 70 mph. I really don't know why the press beats upon Jeep products so much. I have found Jeeps to be very reliable, safe, and fun to drive.

HEMI motor,U Connect feature, Love the interior with the Overland features. I don't have to shovel the snow out of my driveway. I can ride all my family in it and still tow a heavy trailer in comfort.

The Goodyear tires wear poorly. As they say " They are only Good for a Year ". It would be nice to see the rear headrests power down for better rear vision.

I think I bought a lemon
By firecracker

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had all kinds of electrical problems with this car, since I purchased it. The dealership was not very helpful. The locks locked while I stepped out of the car, and the car was running. They lock and unlock as I am driving. Auto wipers don't work that great, and neither does the reverse assistance. The Sirius equipment was faulty. The angle of the windshield, makes it very prone to getting hit by road debris--I replaced two windshields within six months. The breaks had to be replaced within the year, and six months later, need it again. I have never had so many problems with a car. The problems returned about six months after repair. No leg room in the middle seat area.

The outside style of the car.

Excellent
By Wow Commander

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive and really useful for families. it has many standards that are luxury and useful.

Strong engine, 4.7. The ride is superb! Style of a Jeep. 4x4 is high tech. Very sstrong and reliable transmission and redesigned high tech 4.7!

Cleared for Take Off !!!
By Ready for Take Off !

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very pleased with the ride and roadability both in the city in the highway. My compliments to for the new re-engineered 4.7 and refinement of 5- 45fre autotrans being one of the best rans out there, period! The offering of creature comforts is higher than most Benz's! This vehilce is a keeper - it tows our flat bed to get the chores done, our 24 ft trailer to play, a limo for arriving at our favorite dinner spot, plenty of room for our family, and looks great in our circle drive - it does it all. "American" got it right and Jeep does not go out of style! Gas, . . . I got such a good deal and my driving miles are very reasonable I am just fine. It drives fresh as the day I tested drove it!

Visiablity, good ride, can take on the trails camping. Plendty of space. Good technical engineering.

Drain plug for Auto Transmission pan.