Used 2000 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Beautiful car
By Nahyan H

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This car was an instant classic. I mean some will say the look was older than it was. There were many occasions people thought that my 2000 model year was something from the 80’s. I loved the way the car looked. It was very comfortable and had all the amenities (except Bluetooth and a AUX cable). People loved the way the car rode. I liked driving it. The V8 was smooth. Wasn’t great on gas but my daily commute was short. The only thing that cursed it was the timing chain tensioners... I knew even before buying it that this issue was a big one IF it were to happen to me... and after two years of ownership it happened. And mine had extremely low miles. It was 15 years old when I had it and the odometer was at 56k. It was a one owner car. I wish I could have kept it, but repairs were getting too costly. Buy models 2003 and above. I believe those years had the engine from the S type (more reliable from the Ford era).

Sassyjag!
By Linda Saddler

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. However, it is very important to read the books that come with the vehicle so you will know what to do if you have problems. Some things you and repair yourself. Unlike other vehicles, the parts under the hood are fairly visible making it easier to work with should you need a repair. I love it. Great for a retired person who drives around town at his/her leisure. I would not recommend it for someone who has to commute everyday. I will burn a lot of gas and you will have to add oil every 2 to 3 weeks.

Love Hurts
By galewood478

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved this car, was such a classic. However, I had to get rid of it after 2 transmission failures. It kept cracking drums within the transmission. There has yet to be a car designed that captured the stunning class and sophistication displayed by this Jag. Loved it, and as hard as it was to let her go, it proved impractical to keep fixing it over and over. Ford built it, so that should say something.

Ride, Design, Quality of materials

Transmission, Quality of Engine parts

Babied from Birth
By g huelsman

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Truly an excellent automobile. Always did everything I expected of it. Braking, acceleration, handling, etc. Won several awards in appearance.

handling, acceleration, overall performance, looks, leather

None

Bad transmission
By rbinlex

2000 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Purchased from original owner, low mileage. Beautiful car, best ride ever IF you can keep it out of the shop. Never could get the heater to work properly, froze every winter. Difficult time finding a "good" jaguar mechanic that could troubleshoot. It seemed to always be something. Every time it went to the shop it was $600-$1000. The final straw was when the transmission went out at 79K. Resale value was so low I chose to not fix the car. What a shame. I'll never buy another one.

The best aspect of this car was the looks and the seats. The seat was great on my bad back. Wonderful car on the highway.

Quality and dependability.