Used 2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

2014 Equus Engine Problem - Please Read and Help
By K Lynn

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

2014 Equus has 32K miles; knocking noise started and immediately brought to dealership. Dealership was extremely rude and stated "you better get your repair receipts ready"! No prior notice, no oil or engine light ever came on. Didn't hear anything for 3 days, had to follow up with dealer who stated we need a new engine. Oil had leaked into the timing chain, sludge built up and the oil was overfull and the manufacture said they wouldn't warranty the engine. Called Hyundai direct and they stated they wouldn't warranty the engine. I have had no previous repairs, drive no more than 1K miles a month, treat the car like my own child and NEVER had a single light come on in the car. Went to BBB and I am going to arbitration with the Manufacturer and I NEED YOUR HELP. ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THE SAME ISSUE PLEASE HELP. MAYBE WE CAN BOTH GET THE MANUFACTURER TO WARRANTY OR REIMBURSE BOTH OF USE and stop this from happening to other customers.

Engine needs replaced.
By Joe

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

My 2012 Equus has 62,000 miles on it and the engine started knocking really bad and there was no warning signs at all no check engine light, no low oil light nothing to alarm me at all and the warranty expired on the car at 60,000 miles.

Hyundai customer service is awful
By Stan Berrie

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Car is great except that it is unreliable. Car was stalling out and died in the middle of make turns (even on the highway). Dealer kept the car for a month and finally replaced the wiring harness for the entire car. The transmission had to be replaced. The electronic controlled suspension died. Now the dealer says that there is a short somewhere but they can not find the cause. They have had the car for 2 weeks. I call them and leave messages but no one calls back. Hyundai has a special tel number for Equus owners. I called and they turned the matter over to a regional rep. The person called me once and told me that they would call back. She never called back (and yes I left numerous messages for her as well). I then called the "special" 800 number. They told me that I just have to wait for the regional rep to call me back. That was 4 days ago. Still no word. THEY JUST DO NOT CARE. Do NOT buy an Equus. Do NOT buy a Genesis. DO NOT BUY ANY Hyundai. You will be sorry.

My mini Bentley
By Richard P Eisenbrei

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I sold this car one year ago.
I am now driving a 2017 Genesis G90.
If you are interested, although my Equus was a fine automobile, my new Genesis
far exceeds my expectations I all areas.

Defective engine
By ted2332

2012 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

At little over a year, performance and gas mileage began to deteriorate.
Next, an engine knocking became increasingly loud.no check engine or oil pressure light warning.
Dealer found oil 3 quarts low-- suspect that the engine had already been damaged..on investigation, this is a systemic problem
which Hyundai Equus and Genesis with the same engine share.
Hyundai does not appear ready to own up to the defective engine which occurred with the higher horse powered 2012.
Major blow in their aspirations to compete as a luxury brand
update: they have pulled the plug on the Equus brand;won't fix hardware breakage under warranty
Update :after lots of aggravation they finally replaced engine and it been a good car with bad service