Used 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

Worst Car I Ever Owned In 48 Years Of Driving
By BJE

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I hated this car from day 1. I have had it since new and only has 46,500 miles on it. It pulled to the right. After bringing it back to the dealer 4 times, they kept telling me they aligned it. 7 years later, it still pulls to the right. After driving for more than a 1/2 hr, you feel like you are fighting to keep it on the road and your fingers get numb. Uncomfortable front seats. Horrible suspension and gas mileage is only 27 mpg. Poor in the snow. Electrical system issues with the back up lights (I hit it to come back on) and brake light issues. The moon roof does not work (after 4 years). Extremely uncomfortable ride.

Engine rebuild at 85,000 miles
By Matthew P.

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oil seal failed at the right-hand side of the engine (accessory side, not transmission side). Found the cause to be worn main bearings allowing the crankshaft to move within the engine block, which pushed the oil seal out. $3700 to have the engine removed, rebuilt and reinstalled. Though the car has been in our family since new the Title was transferred from husband to wife, then to mother so Hyundai sees it as having changed ownership 3 times and would not honor the 100,000 mile power-train warranty. **update** Since original post the engine came out again at 90,000 miles. Unable to locate a new crankshaft, the shop that rebuilt the engine performed a weld repair on the crankshaft which failed resulting in a ticking noise. The repair shop honored their warranty and repaired the engine at no charge, but we were down a car for 5 weeks. Car just passed 101,000 miles yesterday and the engine light came on. To be continued . . .

It's been a good car
By Kris

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year 6 of ownership and I've been satisfied. The touring has been a good car for my family of four. I was looking for something with versatile cargo space but not an SUV since I like to ride low to the ground. Pro's are the spacious cargo, excellent breaking, nice interior layout and price for the amount of car. In many regards it's a hidden gem. The cons are bumpy ride, thin fabrics make light dirt stains stand out, and OEM tires wore quickly and did not do well in the snow. However, with good all seasons or snow tires this car does well. At 45,000 miles only 1 minor repair (break pedal was making a little noise but nothing dangerous) that was included in the warranty. I narrowed down to the Prius And Subaru Outback, but did not enjoy driving the Prius, and the out back boxer engine was too loud and I didn't like the sitting position. Also considered golf and matrix but the cargo space was too small. No regrets so far.

the good and the bad
By carcommenter

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The good: Am in my 3rd year of ownership and the car has been reliable so far. It is amazingly spacious and has a clean interior design which I find appealing and uncluttered. Good visibility all around and the car handles well. With quality winter tires (I prefer Michelin) it has been very good in winter (am driving in Canada). I like the manual shift even though it feels odd sometimes. Has unusually good pulling power on hills in top gear (5th). If you flog it, it will respond willingly and feels quite sporty.
Responds harshly to bumps (see my comments on tire size).

Mine is not as great as everyone elses ET
By sr500mark

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a catasrophic engine failure that started with a faintly flickering oil light at low idling rpm.
Oil level was ok.
I changed the oil anyway and the flickering went away.
This flickering only lasted a very short while, as I changed the oil immediately.
It seemed like everytime I approached 3,000 miles on an oil change the engine light would start to flicker and then go away once changed.
Engine died at 65,000 miles.
Hyundai took care of the issue with little hassle.
Interior plastic chrome trim is pealing, parking brake button broke off, parking brake wore too fast, needing constant adjustment and then rear brake replacement.
I like it, it just isn't great.
Back to Toyota.

I like the styling, the handling, mileage. Braking is pretty solid too. Warrantee was handled beautifully. Nice loaner car, good but very slow in fixing. Waited for weeks to get a new block sent in. But I had a good loaner car so no big deal there. Car is GREAT in the snow with real snow tires at all 4 corners. Good room! Lot of car for the money.

Interior trim is lacking in quality. Check engine light came on about 2 miles before engine failed, when I was driving it to the shop to have the car checked out! Stock tires are terrible in anything remotely slippery. Shift lever knob stripped out. Clutch action is hard to modulate in traffic. Second to third gear gap is too great. Third needs to a closer ratio. Downshift from 3 to 2 will have you lurching forward while the upshift will bog the engine.