Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used Elantra GT for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

So far, things have been great.

Scott, 10/31/2016
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We love our little Elantra GT. So far, doing the oil changes in my garage (and air cleaners, etc)and keeping receipts, etc it has not seen a dealer. This is the first car I've owned in my life that has not had a single thing go wrong in the first three years. I am impressed. As far as the car itself? It's really best to test drive it yourself. Compared to the 2001 compact car from another brand it replaced, it's night and day. Compact cars have come A LONG way. Quiet, smooth ride. Zero engine noise, even at highway speeds. This is new to me. I am very used to listening to engine drone, but this car can be heard while accelerating, then it goes quiet. It's amazing. Also, this car fits 4 6'+ people in it. Comfortably. It's one of the main reasons I was attracted to this car. Unbelievable passenger space and comfort. Lastly, I've heard people are having trouble with the tires. I haven't seen this yet (I live in Minnesota). But I will say, when the time comes, I'm going to purchase new 15" wheels and 195/65/R15 tires for it. I am no fan of low profile tires. The whole concept is silly. There are many downsides and zero real world advantages. Most importantly? 15" tires cost a lot less than 17" ones. WAY less. Just an example? Continental true contact, 15" standard profile, $82. The 17" low profile the car comes with? $123 a piece. 50% more per tire! So that's the only "con" I can think of. But it's easily remedied with a 1-time purchase of $75 wheels. Most cars are putting low profile tires on the higher trim packages, and the first thing I do is replace them when the time comes.

Best new car purchase I've ever made.

nokstar, 01/08/2017
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

As the title states. This car has had no problems and has been successful as my go-to reliable daily driver. I run this car hard, every day and it keeps on giving. Another great thing is the fact that it came stock with foglamps, bluetooth (which allows me to receive hands-free calls, listen to music which is controlled by steering wheel controls, run gps all from one source), heated seats, power everything, and alloy wheels. 10/10, would buy again.

Great car and not a sports car - update

George, 03/05/2017
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Update: I have had my GT for over a year and continue to love it for the most part. I enjoy driving it and find it very comfortable for commuting and long trips. It is not meant to be a sports car and has plenty of power for me. I am disappointed in the gas mileage, around 26 mpg in all around driving, which seems low to me for a car and engine of this size. This is down a bit from my original review and that may be a result of winter driving. The push button door lock stopped working on the drivers side, which is the only non-standard maintenance I have had to do. Would I buy this car again? Yes. I love the sporty lines and the interior and the money I saved over a Civic or Mazda 3 more than pays for the lower gas mileage. Original review: I have had my GT for 3 months now and absolutely love it. I read all the reviews and those disappointed with it seem to want a sports car - I guess because of the GT designation. It is NOT a sports car but it is a solid, comfortable, versatile hatchback. I won't beat too many people off the line, but that is not why I bought it. It is plenty quick enough for me and is much quieter on the highway than any other small car I have had. I am a manual driver, but went with the automatic for this one because of my new commute. I find the 6 speed automatic to be more than serviceable and keep it in ECO mode most of the time. I love the lines and interior and it has everything I want and more. Fold down the rear seats and there is plenty of room for your stuff. For me that means bikes, lacrosse equipment, golf clubs, etc. My one slight disappointment is the gas mileage, which I expected to be better for an economy hatchback. I average about 28 in combined driving and I have a fairly light foot. If you want a comfortable, nice looking, versatile small car, I recommend you include this on your list of options.

great value for a semi-sporty versatile hatchback

Slippy, 11/06/2018
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I chose this car as a pre-owned with around 25k miles for $10500. It seemed like a good alternative to less equipped options. Heated leather seats, a giant sun-roof, and a fun ride sold me quickly. Having owned it for a while now, I think it's an amazing valued car. It lacks the power to really fly, but it sticks to corners shockingly well. Truly fun to drive hard around a tight corner until it slides, which is way later than expected for a cheap fwp hatchback. It handles like a car twice its cost on a curvy mountain road, and the power is enough if you're hammering it and already at some speed. The stiffened suspension and better handling vs the standard sedan version is very obvious. I found getting the right set up has made a huge difference in snow. I messed around with different options and found it really handles well with the right tire, psi, and rim size. Idk why Hyundai doesn't stock it with something better, because the factory tires were absolute garbage on anything wet or slick, and the car is definitely capable of handling better. For me the gas mileage is fine if you're not trying to be super eco, if shifting conservatively I'll end up around 32mpg and even with higher rpm driving its never worse than 25. Some of the interior feels a bit cheap considering it has the highest end trim package that was available, but for the price nothing feels "bad", and some things feel noticeably comfortable. Its somewhere between a college students first cheap real car and a versatile hatchback for a family, but priced at the same point with much worse competition. Would buy again.

Engine failure at 68k miles!

Kurt, 02/05/2019
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very frustrated with Edmunds.com because I trusted the good reviews of this car. We bought our 2013 Elantra GT 8 months ago and have barely put 3k miles on it. A few months go we started hearing tapping noise that went away after the engine warmed up. The noise became a full-blown knocking deep in the engine that becomes more frequent as the car accelerates. We took it to a Hyundai dealership and were told that there was a lot of metal in the oil and the engine was basically useless. The only solution is to replace it. The dealership has blamed this problem on poor owner maintenance. After further Google research I've discovered that engine failure for 2011-2018 Elantra's with the Nu 1.8L model is very common but Hyundai refuses to admit that it's a manufacturing defect. However this only seems to be the case in the US. Canadian owners of the Nu 1.8L engine get theirs replaced upon experiencing the knocking and metal shavings in the oil--at no cost to the owner (our Hyundai dealer quoted $6k for the replacement). This indicates that Hyundai knows and acknowledges the defect but wont extend the replacement to the US because we dont have consumer protection laws like Canada. In short, I'm stuck with a car that the dealership will give $1000 as trade-in (We still owe $7000), or I can spend $6000 to replace the engine. I'm considering joining in the class-action lawsuit against Hyundai. [HTML removed]

Very disappointed in MPG

ecormack, 09/08/2012

I compared a few different vehicles reported to get decent gas milage. I went with this because i really like the styling and i figured id get at least 28-30mpg. I'm getting 25. My previous vehicle was a 1998 subaru legacy wagon. With that I got 23MPG doing the same driving, and i had a much heavier foot then. I'm using eco boost, Driving more conservatively than I used to and still getting, what I consider, poor gas milage for what this vehicle is. Other than that I love it. although, because you cant see the hood when you are seated in the car, I have a hard time judging how close i pull to something. I've only had it a month though.

miss my subaru

ecormack, 06/23/2013

very disappointed in my gas milage. Best I've gotten is 27mpg. My subaru with all wheel drive got that. I should have gotten something different

Very satisfied

h2lemonwedge, 09/25/2012

I just picked mine up from the dealer yesterday; I had the opportunity to take the car for the weekend while my wife and I "talked" about it a little more. As disappointed as I was to find that this class of car has gone up in price in recent years I feel I got alot for my money. I like the standard features that come with the car.

love it except ...

sharoniowa, 01/13/2014

This car handles well in the snow and ice with impressive lower gears available in the automatic. It's comfortable and attractive.

could be wears

curt, 04/23/2016
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

not the wears car iv ever owned but i would not recommend i tell people to stay away from 20013 Elantra mpg is way off what they say gear shifting could be a lot better rear end of car over bumps fells like it lifting off the ground had the car one session and that when the issues started found out in the spring of 2015 the a/c did not work took it to the dealer nothing wrong but needed a recharge could not find the leak work all summer well this spring i noticed it did not work again so i have to take it in still can not find the leak this is just one problem was parked in my drive way one morning found out my car would not start light would come on but engine would not start after 20 mins of trying to find out what was wrong at 6am got made hit the shiftier car starts up ok went to work did this on 7 time the past year well iv decided after reading thing on the internet that Hyundai made [non-permissible content removed] Elantra that year getting read of this car this week shame not even 52000 miles on it

12345...6