Used 2019 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

Used Odyssey for Sale
Select your model:
12345...20

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Pretty Good Minivan

Stan W, 07/26/2018
Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 10A)

The Odyssey Touring and Elite's 10 speed transmission is nicely matched to the engine, giving this van very good acceleration, better than all other minivans and the vast majority of the SUV's. The interior is quite nice, the entertainment system sounds very good, Android phone connectivity works well, both Google Maps & Waze from my phone displayed on the screen. Noise level is pretty low for a minivan, handling is acceptable, braking performance and feel are very good for a minivan. It has lots of outlets, 110VAC, 12V and USB chargers. The few negative points are the accelerator has a huge dead spot at the beginning of travel, takes a while to get use to. The front passenger seat was a little high above the floor for my wife (5' 3") making her thighs a bit tire on long trips, they're perfectly comfortable for me (5' 10"), the driver seat is adjustable, so no problems for either of us. And the seat back on the 2nd row doesn't fold down flat against the seat, somewhat compromising its ability to haul stuff, the 2nd row seats are also pretty heavy, making it difficult to remove if you wanted to haul larger items. The fit is also not as good as I've come to expect from Honda, the doors and hood all have somewhat uneven gaps, some less visible interior panels also didn't fit well. Lots of glare on the entertainment / navigation display, I may make my own leather over-hang shade to deal with this shortcoming. The cruse control worked reasonable well, but a little too aggressive at slowing down if another vehicle merged in front or us. The lane keeping assistant is not very effective. Blind spot detection worked fine. Also with the strong engine coupled with the 10 speed transmission, one could smoke the front tire all day. Could really use a limited slip differential to distribute the power between both front tires better, especially from a stand still on a Right turn.

4 out of 5 stars

Transmission problems since under 5k.

Tim, 06/18/2019
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

We have had the car back to the dealership three times and getting ready to go again due to the transmission not shifting properly and seems to be getting worse. The dealer says they find nothing wrong each time and have been no help at all since it’s a warranty thing. No loaner car is available and they will only give us a weekday appointment (dealer is fifteen miles from us and both of us work over forty miles from them) which makes it even tougher with having to shuffle kids around and schedules also. I worked on Honda’s for fifteen years and have since moved to another job and never had an issue like this with any car I worked on. Customers who had issues were given a complimentary loaner and then a factory service rep was brought in to go over the diagnosis with the technician. Accelerating from a stop it shifts well and then gets up to about fourth or so and then bangs. If accelerating and then Letting off it seems to hold back from shifting and then bangs up a gear just to shift. We have had many friends ride with us and ask if it’s always done that, we just say yes. We are trying to get it looked at.

Frustrated

EWhit, 07/13/2019
EX-L w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I have been a Honda owner for 9 years now. I still own my 2010 Honda CRV and we just traded my husbands truck for the 2019 Odyssey EX-L for our family of four. We had the van less than 48 hours and the radio stopped working. No audio sound played whatsoever. The rear camera also no longer worked. I assumed it was just our ignorance and went to google and YouTube to find the fix the problem and discovered a slew of complaints and a class action lawsuit against 2018-2019 Honda Odysseys and Pilots. Then, I left something in my car after dark over the weekend and went out to get it and the display screen was on and wouldn't shut off. When we contacted the GA dealership about returning the car we were told they had not heard of this issue and that we could not return the van due to a non “cooling off” period bc the sale was final. After another 24 hours went by I woke up and our battery was dead due to the display screen not shutting off. I have since found additional forums and articles stating the issue is connecting an iPhone 8 and up to the Apple Car Play will create these issues. It is unsure at this point if this issue with Honda/Apple is resolved. We are going for a software update today and will see what happens. Otherwise if this is a reoccurring issue I guess we will have to try to return the vehicle based off of the Georgia Lemon Law.

ad labelAd
Build Your Odyssey
At a Glance:
  • 6 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $32,090starting MSRP

4 out of 5 stars

Great vehicle with a few minor issues

Andrew, 12/04/2018
EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

This is my second Honda Odyssey EXL purchased in 15 months. My 2018 was totaled due to someone running a stop sign. So, I bought a 2019 a couple weeks ago. The vehicle has a superior ride and great gas mileage. However, both vehicles vibrate(d) at around 68-72 mph. The dealer claimed that they couldn't feel it with my 2018. I've learned to get used to it, but when the speed limit is 70, I either have to go 67 or 73 mph to mitigate it. I have fourother minor complaints. First, there is no change storage. So I had to purchase a change purse to hold my change. Second, there is no compass. This is quite an irritant when the GPS says go southeast, etc., on a particular road from the start of a trip. Third, the temperature display is a tiny readout on the bottom of the odometer screen. My wife can't see it from the passenger seat and has to ask me every time she wants to know it. All Honda needs to do is provide both a compass and temperature readout on the huge computer screen where you can view many other apps. Fourth, the middle seats do not table or stay locked in their most forward position. Otherwise, it is a fantastic vehicle with great comfort and good gas mileage. My 2018 averaged 31.4 mph in the econ mode on highway trips. I don't know what the 2019 will get, but I have similar expectations.

5 out of 5 stars

Much improved switching from a Sienna

Swimbikerun, 09/05/2018
Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 10A)

We recently purchased a 2019 Odyssey after owning a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE since new. We honestly thought we would keep the Toyota a few years longer but the most recent crash test rating along with rear crash test video shows the Sienna shows up major flaws in the safety department due to being built on a platform that is coming up 10 years old. Since our van is the primary transporter for school and family outing, we decided to move up the purchase timeline. The overall purchasing process was a breeze with us getting a pretty solid deal. The driving dynamic is very smooth and the ride is extremely quiet compared to the Sienna. I tested all 7 seats prior to purchase (I am 6'3") and was they are comfortable and offers better support than the Sienna. Overall, the Odyssey offers major upgrades compared to even the current Sienna model and if safety is a priority, Sienna is automatically disqualified due to poor scoring by IIHS. 2021 update: van still going strong! Still love the power, handling and everything it has to offer. We were rear ended by a distracted driver last yr at 45mph and the impact never intruded into the main cabin where our kids were. Everyone walked away and they fixed it back to OEM spec. This van will be with us for awhile since nothing on the market compares.

12345...20