2018 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

If only I could take back this purchase...
By Mr. Young

2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I own two Honda Odysseys - a 2008 model (bottom of the line) and this new 2018. The more I drive it, the more I dislike my 2018. Why? ERGONOMICS: The 2008 was superior in every way to the 2018. I'm reasonably large, and my 2008 has enough foot-space for my size-13 water-ski feet to rest comfortably on the left of the driver's footwell; in the 2018, the front wheel well impinges on the foot-space. On the 2008, I have an upper and a lower glove box; on the 2018 I get but a single. On the 2008, there is a pull-out cup holder that can accept HUGE cups; on the 2018, the center console offers the only (smaller) cup holders. The 2008 is wider and taller than the 2018, and the more cramped interior shows. The controls on the 2008 are simple and intuitive; on the 2018, everything from the push-button shifting to the air conditioning fan speed buttons, to the temperature adjustments require you to take your eyes off the road to find the control that you need. The control complexity of the 2018 is so bad that my wife refuses to drive the car. ACCESSORIES/SERVICE: I purchased the optional backup beepers. The dealer's service department installed half of the sensors upside-down, and the beepers went crazy every time I tried to back up. It took more than a half-dozen overnight stays at the service department (despite me telling them clearly again and again what the problem was) before they got it fixed. My 2008 van has WeatherTech mats that fit; the WT mats for the 2018 are too short to reach the back of the van from the back of the second row of seats, and Honda can recommend none that they know of that are better. TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS: With or without the green "fuel-saver" option enabled, the 2018 van has extremely sluggish acceleration with a very funny throttle response. The transmission shifts at odd times and at odd RPMs. The acceleration is not smooth, and the transmission makes funny noises. The fuel economy is terrible. I can go almost twice as far on a tank of gas with my 2008 Odyssey than I can with the 2018. CONCLUSION: This car was horrendously expensive. It is not as comfortable or as efficient as my 2008 Odyssey. Consumer Reports magazine has put this 2018 Odyssey model on their "Do Not Buy" list for its problems (the CR information was not available to me at the time I purchased my 2018 Odyssey). Honda has fallen to #15 in the Consumer Reports reliability rankings (primarily because of this Odyssey). Despite all the features in this 2018 Odyssey that I have absolutely no use for (sunroof, rear-seat entertainment system, etc.), the vehicle lacks important features that it SHOULD have (rain sensing automatic windshield wipers, heads-up display, automatic stop-and-go acceleration and braking, etc.). If only I could take back this purchase, I'd have chosen something else. And this is my last Honda - sell me a lemon once, shame on you; sell me a lemon twice, shame on me! My conclusion is simple - DON'T buy a Honda Odyssey!

Defective Entertainment System and they won't fix
By Judith Castro

2018 Honda Odyssey Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 10A)

13 months with the same problem. We have taken it to several dealerships and no one can fix it. Honda is "aware" of the problem and says for us to keep waiting until they resolve the issue. We are paying extra money to have features that don't work. We didn't get a rebate since they are high demand, if people only knew...Please make sure you test the entertainment system thoroughly before you leave the dealership. Take the headphones out of the bubble wrap and the take a DVD with you.

Tire Eater
By Doug Dopp

2018 Honda Odyssey Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 10A)

Best looking van out there. Comfortable, great running but scary in the rain. BIG PROBLEM, only 36K miles on the van and on my third set of tires. After eating through the first two sets of tires, finally realized that the safety features that are suppose to help you, also "scrub" the tires and ruin the tread. The feature that alerts you that you are going out of your lane and shakes the steering wheel, allows the tires to scrub across the payment and wear the tread off. I turned off this feature but front end still loose. New tires have 4K miles on them and even with the lane departure system off, the tread is wearing down. Same model tires on my last van (Toyota Seinna) lasted 75K. Honda dealer says nothing they can do about it. VERY DANGEROUS IN RAIN with this front end problem.

Tire Eater
By Doug Dopp

2018 Honda Odyssey Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 10A)

Good, but miss on a couple things!
By Harry Hanson

2018 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Overall the van is good. I like the safety features. However with the new seat system it raised the height of the seats making it difficult for my 5’ tall wife to get in and out of the passenger seat. I also do not like the nine speed automatic transmission. It has a very strange noise at low speeds when starting out. The other thing I found very annoying is the automatic headlight high beam. We drove back last night in the rain and the lights kept going into high beam for no apparent reason. This I am sure annoyed the cars both in front of me as well as those on coming cars. If I had to rate this Honda Odyssey verses our 2008 Odyssey, I would say I would rather be driving my 2008!