Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Odyssey for Sale
Select your model:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

1st owner & 5 1/2 yrs later I am still happy!

billybeefcake, 05/27/2014
EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I picked out a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 5 1/2 years ago with 20 miles on it. We now have just over 73,000 on the vehicle, and we are even more happy now than when we purchased the van because nothing has gone wrong. There has been several recalls such as the brakes, the transmission reprogramming, and cabin noise, but Honda was pretty good (once they acknowledged the issues) at taking care of them. With a fully loaded van (family/cargo) on a flat road I can get 27/28 mpg easily. In town she avg. 18-20 depending on how much a/c we are using. As for us we have had a good experience.

Where my Honda gone?

Honda Angst, 11/07/2018
EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van used with 104K miles (in April 2016) confident that I was buying a Honda (like I have most of my life) and treated right, they last. By all appearances the vehicle had been cared for. Great paint/body, the interior was clean and maintained and it ran well. Imagine my surprise at 107K miles when my low oil light comes on. I checked the dipstick and I had a drop of oil at the very end. No oil leaks or smoke from the exhaust. This is the beginning of my falling out with Honda. I took it back to the dealer astonished and looking for some answers. They conducting an oil consumption test and determined I was using 1-1/2 qts of oil per 1000 miles. After pressing the issue they told me they had performed a piston ring replacement on the vehicle prior to my purchase for the very same reason and that work was still under warranty. But it gets better. Next thing I know Honda has ponied up for an engine replacement. I was floored, but curious as to why they were being so incredibly generous. I found out why at about 20K miles into my new engine when it started using oil again without leaks or exhaust smoke. I took it back once again, did an oil test and it was determined that the vehicle was using 1qt every 1K miles and Honda said "that falls within acceptable parameters" and so they refused to do anything. This is when I started digging and discovered Honda has settled a class action suit in 2014 for...you guessed it, excessive oil consumption with certain 2008 Odyssey Models (all with VCM, Variable Cylinder Management). Honda extended powertrain warranties for most vehicles and some people that were a actually part of the class action were made whole, thus my engine replacement. Clearly that was not the problem and I eventually discovered the VCM was the actual culprit. I discovered that too late as the piston rings on my NEW engine were already damaged. I would eventually end up at the Honda shop again when the vehicle started experiencing constant cylinder misfires at about 40K miles into the NEW engine. They recommended piston ring replacement, but said ideally I should replace the engine, 40K miles and I needed a new engine. If you're considering one of these Odyssey's with VCM, buyer beware. If you cant verify the service records just walk away.

Rear engine mount failure very costly

lonosc, 12/24/2012
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just spent $1K replacing the rear engine mount after 60K miles. After researching further, discovered this is common part failure, and will re-occur every 50 - 60,000 miles. Will definitely trade off this vehicle before another 60K miles and will never buy another again. This is a vital part and should not fail so frequently. I expected better quality from Honda.

The new Honda Quality sadly

homersodysey08, 05/06/2014
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a few significant problems. First is was the soft break pedal which was a known technical service problem "fixed" by applying silicone to the known leak. At 9K mi transmission quit. They tried to blame me. They said they could find out what I had done for $180/hour. Needed my car so 2 days later they found a loose wire connector re-connected it "under warranty". Shortly beyond the 36 mo warranty (13K mi) again a soft to the floor brake pedal. I found the original TSB for the brakes and insisted they perform that "fix"a new VSA stability module I paid $400 for the part. Now they say soft is normal but I just got a recall notice for a brake defect, they got caught 5 yrs later

My Favorite Van Ever!!!

undy6, 12/23/2014
EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had 3 Odysseys - an '07 EX-L DVD, an '08 EX-L w/NAV & DVD and a '12 Touring Elite. I've had a lot of cars, SUV's and minivans and the '08 Odyssey was my fav by far! I actually think it was better than the '12 Odyssey Touring Elite we leased. Zero issues, super practical features & layout, easy and comfortable to drive....I could go on and on. Only reason I don't still have it is because I was having issues getting traction in the snow (lived in Denver at the time) so I traded for a 4WD Nissan Armada. I regretted that decision almost immediately, still miss that van 3 yrs later! Hindsight, I really wish I would've tried putting on a better set of tires before trading it in :-(

Honda Marriage on the Rocks!

Rich, 11/08/2010
EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It was love at first sight, but after 26,000 mi, I'm close to filing for divorce on my 2008 Odyssey! "How do I unlove thee? Let me count the Defects!" 1. Rattles and window whistles from day one. 2. Mushy brakes: Recalled 3. Shutter and maddening erratic shifting: Re- programmed Transmission. 4. Loud Power Steering noises: Replaced plugged Power Steering Reservoir. 5. And, finally, failed Torque Converter: Replaced. I really what to love her, but she's making it awfully difficult. I guess, like some beautiful women, she's great to look at but she's nothing but trouble on the inside! I hope Honda doesn't run out of parts before the warranty expires!

Older ones were better

craig, 08/09/2015
EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2006 was one of the last year the Honda Van was really a good. Our 2008 has issues with the sliding doors, loose window trim on the sides and this crazy melting window glue that looks like black tar. A real pain to clean off. It seems to be a southern US thing with extreme heat or reflected heat on hot days, such as store windows back onto the car. Were looking for a new car and for the first time in 10 years it will not be a Honda/ Shame they could not stay focused on the details.

No More!

Tony Cruz, 03/03/2015
LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my van with 30K miles, and now nearly 90K miles I had a major engine failure (cylinder 5 blew). Honda knows there have been problems with this particular year, yet, will not make me whole. My warranty, of course, was useless. I was over my miles by 200 miles, all highway miles en route to my father in laws funeral. They didn't do sqaut for me! Let's just say I will not be buying another honda again. They're no longer 'reliable' to me and they produced an inferior product. I've got two old Fords that are still kicking! I'll be buying American moving forward...thanks to honda.

Honda's transmission is terrible!!!!!

burgh2, 10/23/2011
EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Honda I have owned..it will be my last. The Acccord I purchased had a bad transmission in the model line, but I was lucky and it ran fine for me. This time, I landed squarely on a terrible transmission. It shifts constantly at highway speed. 55-60, 60-65, 65-70, 75-80mph...I've tried setting the cruise and it just keeps shifting. It's like riding in a vehicle that is hiccupping all the time!!! I've owned Toyota's and Nissan's in the past and have had great success, so long Honda!

Safest Minvan

pbconspiracy, 11/15/2011
LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2008 Grand Caravan, which was nothing but problems for a CPO 2008 Odyssey. Had it for 6 months with no issues. Extremely comfortable, and performed flawlessly on a 1,500 trip this summer. However, the best feature is the safety of this vehicle. My wife & daughter were rear-ended by a car doing 40mph while they were standing still. Car totaled; Odyssey incurred $5,000 worth of damage. Wife and daughter walked away unhurt.

12345...17