Used 1997 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Best basic minivan reliability for the money
By Jethro

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I have a 97 Honda Odyssey right now it has 254419 miles and runs absolutely perfect all I did was tires brakes oil change timing belt and water pump in the time that I've owned it it is the best minivan on the road

My Companion, My Oddy!
By A Devoted 1997 Odyssey Owner

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I must say that I'm in love with this car... ever since I bought her 11 years ago, when she had only 173K miles. She now has 326K mi, and just keeps going!! I love the way the seats fold down in the back, and the middle ones are removable. I absolutely love the way the back seat turns into a 'couch' if you turn it to face the open hatch! There is so much room inside the car, even though it is much smaller than a minivan. The overall size of the car is a perfect balance between sedan maneuverability and van hauling/functionality. I've gone camping, done craft shows (sometimes both activities together! With the kids!), moved, transported bamboo/lumber, picked up furniture; a great hang out space, watch movies and look at the stars, picnic, safe space, portable office; the list is endless. An attractive and reliable car, she's been perfect for my kids and myself for years. I wish cars were still made like this... not all plastic junk taking up the interior space, not tiny, not gigantic, etc. I wish we could buy cars like this (Honda!) in the US. What I REALLY want is THIS car, as a hybrid. I'll pass on the extra technology, too; I want just enough tech for a super efficient, more eco-friendly, slightly more powerful motor, (and expandable cup holders) Oddy! If you have a chance, buy one of these cars! Many of them are still on the road!

God Bless my 1997 Honday Odyssey
By V Weiskopf

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

First let me state: I love this car. I am a 66 year old woman. I appreciate the roominess, utility, reliability, serviceability and overall quality of this car. I am aiming for 300k miles. If you see a vintage 'older' Honda van such as this one, by all means buy it. You will not regret it!

Love My Odyssey
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought her used in 1999 with 30,000 miles on her. She now has 155K, after 12 years of faithful service, and due to harsh
N. E winters rust is the enemy now. She survived a flood in 2005 and the engine is still as sound as ever.
I've maintained her with regular oil changes and aside from a timing belt, a new radiator and rear shocks, she has been good as gold to me. Her dynamic engine even survived a flood. Honda tough. Built in Japan.
I
now finally need to replace a pipe on the exhaust.
These four door vans are the best, wish I could keep her another 100K! If you find one down south minus the rust grab it!
I will. Best car I ever owned!

Drop down rear seats. Middle ones come out. Great for moving !! Love the four doors, unlike sliders on regular vans. Roomy and comfortable ride on a Honda chassy. Great handling. Great brakes. Hatch door in rear. Great for moving bigger objects. Great visibility.

None. They were the best design.

I Call Her "Olivia" :)
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased my Odyssey in 1999 w/ 29K on her.
She now has 154K on the engine. She is like a trusted old friend. She even survived a flood in 2005 at 127K with water in the engine. I had to wait a month for the carpet to be cut for her back then. She survived! When the water was blown out of the engine by my Ace mechanic; I was told it was one tough little engine. Timing belt change; new rear shocks from all the loads she carried.
Brakes last forever on this little dynamo!. I dread the day I have to give her up. Great resale value still. Would buy another in a heartbeat!
They don't make them like her anymore!! Built in Japan to LAST! Hope to keep her for another 150K

Stops on a dime. Dependable. Good visibility on the road. mpg 21 city, 26-28 highway. Four doors! Rides like an accord due to accord chassy. only wish I got the EX with the sunroof.