Used 2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 407 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Never have to think about it car
By Happy Honda Owner

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great reliability at a good price.

Sporty, faithful, low-maintenance car
By Samantha

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from a friend who was upgrading to an SUV. It already had 165K on it with no surface rust (I live in WNY, that's huge). I was a college chick and needed a car that took me everywhere in every season and didn't break the bank. My family swears by Honda/Toyota. Honda never disappoints. PROS: This car has only been in the shop for a taillight fuse, has only ever needed oil changes and air filters. The mileage is wonderful, EXTREMELY safe. It's been hit by a snow plow. It's spun out on the highway going 80mph, with only minor bumper damage (we zip-tied the bumper back on and kept driving). Decent sound, roomy interior, I still get compliments on the sporty exterior and space-age controls even though it's 10 years old. I've camped in it, the rear seats fold down and you can layer some blankets in there if tenting in the rain is not your thing. CONS: You will need SNOW TIRES. I live in Buffalo, NY. I love driving in snow. I have Continental all-seasons and it's no match for snow, lots of sliding around, I have to drive in low gear constantly. My old 99 Cavalier sliced-and-diced a foot of unplowed snow with ease, this Civic is hard to handle in a few inches of it. A bit jumpy on acceleration, decent road noise over 65mph (expected). OVERALL: All-around amazing car. Affordable, reliable, sporty. On a Honda, 180K miles is just breaking in the engine. I plan on driving it into the ground.

Reliable beyond belief!
By Greg Kubas

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Never had a problem; overall gas mileage was ~33 mpg (highway and city).

Beware of Civics at or near 90k-100k miles
By Kevin Chan

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

06-09 honda civics have a known manufactoring defect in the engine block. They mostly fail at the 90k mark a person driving 8k miles a year may not encounter this until the 12th year of ownership. The repair for this known defect is 2500-4500 depending on the dealer. Honda knows about the defect which is why the extended coverage to 10 years. But for owners who are just hitting this 90k-100k thresh hold we are out of luck and need to fork out almost half of a used car. I have loved and pampered my honda for the past 10 years. I don't think it is a question of if it will fail but when.

Lots of problems, some under warranty, some not
By Jim Jones

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The paint started peeling after a few years. Recall notice not given until out of warranty. Had to pay $800 to repaint the hood and trunk. Every Honda Civic I've owned 1996 (224k trade-in), 2004 (190k died), 2006 (still running) had the passenger side window motor fail. However, the automatic transmission is good. Exhaust problem fixed by Honda but it failed again and was a few days over that warranty. On the 2004 Civic the transmission failed and had to be replaced by Honda after only 2k miles, so I'm sensitive about that. I'll try an Accord in a few years after I get to 250K or the car wears out.