Used 2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 408 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Exactly what you want in a budget sedan!
By Alex Greene

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking at older Civics, then it is obvious that you do not want a speed racer vehicle to take to the drag races on Saturday nights, nor do you want an ultra-luxurious Maybach with wine chillers in the dash. This car provides everything that you need in a compact economy car and will definitely fit your budget! I have had this vehicle since brand new and have never been disappointed. Here are a few key details that stand out on this vehicle-

PROs:
-Zippy: When new, car was surprisingly fun to drive. Now that it has 210K miles on the odometer, it is a little more sluggish with the acceleration/shifting and the suspension is harsher, but for such a small engine it actually surprised me. The seats are well bolstered and pretty comfy on drives less than 5 hours.

-Maintenance: Extremely easy to conduct maintenance on just about every part in this car. Fluids and small parts are extremely cheap and prevalent in stores. The only things that I could not do myself from Youtube tutorials were the starter motor and water pump, and even then, they were both very cheap to replace.

-MPG: 45MPG at 70mph even in old age.

-Appearance: Still get compliments on appearance. Paint is great after 12 years. People think car is new. The looks won’t hold up to a sports car but it

-Cargo Space: Has more than meets the eye. For a compact car I never have trouble fitting anything inside.

CONS:
-Road Noise: While not terrible at first, the longer you have the car the worse it will be. The doors and undercarriage have very little insulation and the seals around doors will start to leak after many miles. You cannot get luxury noise-reducing tires small enough to fit.

-Sound System: Speakers are weak in base model. Will leave you wanting more.-Visibility: While vertical visibility is outstanding thanks to the extremely large windshield, horizontal visibility is lackluster due to the overly bulky A-pillars. Please watch for cyclists.

-Undercarriage: The front undercarriage is low and will get torn off. I don’t know anyone who has not ziptied their front end back on.

-A/C: The A/C is fine up until it is about 105 outside. If you don’t drive in this weather, then you will be happy. Otherwise, the system cannot keep up.

Other than what I have listed here, the car meets the standards of what an economy car should provide. If it had more insulation and a better speaker system then I would keep mine forever. I highly recommend it over any other (older) compact sedan on the market. If you keep up on the normal maintenance and detail the vehicle properly when needed then you can keep this bad boy running forever!

Never have to think about it car
By Happy Honda Owner

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great reliability at a good price.

Sporty, faithful, low-maintenance car
By Samantha

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from a friend who was upgrading to an SUV. It already had 165K on it with no surface rust (I live in WNY, that's huge). I was a college chick and needed a car that took me everywhere in every season and didn't break the bank. My family swears by Honda/Toyota. Honda never disappoints. PROS: This car has only been in the shop for a taillight fuse, has only ever needed oil changes and air filters. The mileage is wonderful, EXTREMELY safe. It's been hit by a snow plow. It's spun out on the highway going 80mph, with only minor bumper damage (we zip-tied the bumper back on and kept driving). Decent sound, roomy interior, I still get compliments on the sporty exterior and space-age controls even though it's 10 years old. I've camped in it, the rear seats fold down and you can layer some blankets in there if tenting in the rain is not your thing. CONS: You will need SNOW TIRES. I live in Buffalo, NY. I love driving in snow. I have Continental all-seasons and it's no match for snow, lots of sliding around, I have to drive in low gear constantly. My old 99 Cavalier sliced-and-diced a foot of unplowed snow with ease, this Civic is hard to handle in a few inches of it. A bit jumpy on acceleration, decent road noise over 65mph (expected). OVERALL: All-around amazing car. Affordable, reliable, sporty. On a Honda, 180K miles is just breaking in the engine. I plan on driving it into the ground.

Reliable beyond belief!
By Greg Kubas

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Never had a problem; overall gas mileage was ~33 mpg (highway and city).

Beware of Civics at or near 90k-100k miles
By Kevin Chan

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

06-09 honda civics have a known manufactoring defect in the engine block. They mostly fail at the 90k mark a person driving 8k miles a year may not encounter this until the 12th year of ownership. The repair for this known defect is 2500-4500 depending on the dealer. Honda knows about the defect which is why the extended coverage to 10 years. But for owners who are just hitting this 90k-100k thresh hold we are out of luck and need to fork out almost half of a used car. I have loved and pampered my honda for the past 10 years. I don't think it is a question of if it will fail but when.