Used 2002 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews

$3,400

Used Civic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

The very epidamy Quality and Value

John Holmes, 01/09/2018
EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I was with my son when he purchased this car back in August of 2002 as a graduation gift for himself. He drove it until November of 2008 putting 50K on it with only scheduled maintenance and a set of tires. When he announced he was going to buy a new car - I told him "Just drive it over to my house and park it in the driveway and let me know how much I owe you." - which he did. I've driven it another 50K with only scheduled maintenance up until this past summer when I decided to buy a new car. But, after changing my mind and deciding to keep it, at 107,000 replaced the water pump and timing belt "just in case" and put a new set of Michelin Defender 90K tires mounted on Konig-Z wheels. Despite the salt they put down on our Michigan roads, it still has no rust any where - I can't afford to let go something this dependable, getting 35+ city and 42+ MPG on the highway. Sure hope I can be so lucky when we actually DO purchase our next car.

absolute best car

medic587, 03/09/2014

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned several. I bought it due to the gas mileage and reliability and it has held up its end of the deal. I continually get low 40s MPG. I now have 315,000 miles on it and I have only had to replace an alternator (@ 250k). It still has its original clutch! The only thing I have had to do for this car, besides the alternator, is routine maintenance and put gas in it. I still trust it to get me anywhere.... long or short distance. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this car!

Honda = Chrysler now

Honda NoGood NoMore, 06/03/2008

Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.

Great! ,,but....

ethelip, 07/27/2013

Had this car for 2 years now - I drive it tough, on tough roads (NYC, dirt roads..) I can accelarate as fast as I need - even though I must use low gears & push it, she goes! Now 86K and still sounds great.

Great car! Perfect for my long commute!

Jonathan, 08/21/2006

I purchased this vehicle off a lease. I have driven it two thousand miles since purchasing it and it has been great. I love this car. Despite gas being $3.30 a full tank only costs me 32 dollars and lasts over 300 miles.

Paid $4800 5 years ago

bstern92, 09/11/2013

I bought this car with 130k on it and it now has 144k(second car). Now that I gave my sister my car, this will be driven a lot more. I really like the exterior and interior design of the coupe. It's sleek and has a crazy amount of room for a coupe. The only complaint is that it doesn't have an armrest, with the storage compartment. I have replaced the A/C compressor, oxygen sensor, front rotors and brakes, ball joints, control arms, swaybar links, and battery. All parts were cheap because it's a Honda. I don't hold the repairs against the car because these are all parts expected to go after 11 years. It drives very nice and is comfortable. My cousin has the same one, with over 230k.

Great bang for the buck

Thad, 04/06/2010

After sifting through several thousand ads/scams for used Civics, I lucked into a cream puff EX w/ 31,000 original miles, w/out a nick, dent, or scratch. (rally red -- GREAT color!) It's the best looking, best performing used car I've ever bought, and now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm loving my sunroof. I put a remote starter (mandatory in Michigan winters),and a new set of tires on her, and she runs flawlessly,without a single rattle. No, it's not a 328i, so handling and performance are held to a different standard. Also, I was surprised to find city mileage at only around 28mpg with the automatic. But I still love this little car, and better still, I love having NO PAYMENTS!

Hot Honda

grenadian, 05/22/2010

Good drive around car. Not too sporty so not fun to drive. Great mpg. 2000 Civic is better. Can hold a good sound system.

My Civil Little Civic

Mos Steph, 08/04/2010

I bought my Civic from a local Honda dealer in 2005, had 36,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 3000 miles. Only had to replace the battery, front brake pads, tires. Only out of the ordinary repairs were the airbag sensor (Honda replaced for free not even under warranty!), a tie rod (wear & tear), and some electrical connection that had to do with one of my headlights. It's not the most flashy, fast car but it's zippy, economical, and just right for me. If I had kids or pets to haul around I'd probably go for the sedan or an Accord but for now I love the coupe. I'm a Honda person for life now after having an Oldsmobile & Chevy. If I had to do it again, I'd get a 5 speed if available.

great car so far

sweet 02 civic, 12/25/2002

well, the main reason i bought this car is that my previous vehicle was a jeep wrangler and if you cant guess already.. miles per gallon.. from 12 mpg to 32-39.. i know the vehicles are very different but im just happy to be in this one instead now! the suspension is just right for my taste(semi aggresive driver) as is the conservative styling. i am 6'4" tell and sit fairly comfortably in my baby. no defects of any kind so far after 3500 miles. the headlights work very well and signals are highly visible.

10 years and 200,000 miles of faithful service

demetrios999, 07/30/2012

We bought our 2002 Honda EX Coupe (manual trans) new in December 2002, and 10 years later and almost 200,000 miles later, it is still a great car. We have had to make no repairs other than "wear-out" items (timing belts, tires, brakes, clutch, etc., maybe a distributor), and it runs as strong as the day we bought it with no end in sight. It has more pickup at normal speeds/revs than my S2000, handles great, and gets mpg figures well into the 30's.

Reliable

Cody, 12/18/2017
DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have about 200,000 miles on mine with extremely little maintanance. Ac went out a few years back. Other than that it's just been normal small repairs. The car isn't made to hotrod. It's made for reliability and fuel mileage. As long as you don't let the engine overheat you should have no problems with the head gasket. 5 stars

I bought a piece of trash

John Thompson, 04/01/2002

Evidently I was fooled by the claim that Japanese cars are reliable. I bought this piece of junk last month and have had nothing but problems with it. When I pulled out of the dealership, the car died. They dragged it into the repair shop and told me the next day that the fuel line was clogged. I figured that it was a fluke and drove off. Before I got home, the thing stalled again. This time, I found out that an engine module had malfunctioned. I have had it for two weeks since and have had two pieces of trim come loose and fall off somewhere on the highway. Needless to say, I would warn all against buying a Honda, especially the Civic.

Dollar Value

Robert, 04/03/2016
DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great work car.

HONDA CIVIC? THINK AGAIN!

RANDY1223453532, 07/12/2002

A FEW MONTHS AGO I PURCHASED A 2002 HONDA CIVIC EX (2 DOOR COUPE). THIS IS PROBABLY THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I HAVE BEEN AS FAR AS AUTOMOBILE PURCHASING GOES. I HAVE HAD THE CAR IN THE SHOP TWICE BECAUSE IT JUST RANDOMLY DOES NOT START (MIND YOU THIS CAR HAS 3000 MILES, AND IS UNDER 3 MONTHS OLD). NOT TO MENTION I HAVE DRIVE GOLF CARTS WITH MORE PICK UP THAN THIS THING. ANOTHER NEGATIVE THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THAT WHEN YOU SHIFT FROM REVERSE TO DRIVE IT LIKE ALMOST FEELS LIKE IT JUMPS OR THE TRANSMISSION JERKS OR SOMETHING.

junk car

against Honda, 09/03/2002

I made a big mistake to buy this junk car. It is so noisy and it is not reliable. I changed the springs in the front suspension and I will have to fix the noise come from the brake or steering.

Somewhat Disappointed

Kaygee, 06/03/2006

Bought the car used with 34000 miles for 19 year old son. Gas mileage is big disappointment and the timing of the engine shifting seems to be off. Engine is noisy also. Tried to get an extra key made. Cost in excess of $100 because of computer chip in key cover (security feature). Also twice there has been a power interuption and had to get code from dealer to reset radio (another security feature). Battery died and could not shift car out of park to push out of garage. Will not buy another Honda because of all the security features that can be an real inconvenience to owner.

2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Mike Callaghan, 04/06/2005

I bought my Civic after facing the facts. Insurance for someone under the age of 25 is outragous. I decided on this car in June of 2004. I was working at the local Honda dealership when an older women was trading it in for a brand new Civic. I saw the car and felt that this would be a wise investment. I bought the car the next day. I have loved this car since the day that I bought it. It has started up every single time and the car has run flawlessly. The car could use a little more power. But this car gets out of this world gas mileage. I keep a record of the gas mileage I get ever time I fill up. I usally average about 36 MPG.

this civic is the shiznit

#1 CiViC, 03/09/2002

i have had this car for about 6 weeks and i think that honda is still the #1 car out there...i use to have a 95 civic and that one was great i just felt like going with something new and i had 145g on the car and it still ran like a dream! so i got the 2002 civic...i havent had any problems and i love the stereo system and i can fit more people comfortably in this one thatn my old one...my suggestion is go with HONDA.

Awesome Car.

MegOnToast, 04/03/2002

You cant go wrong with this vehicle. Gas mileage is awesome. Very peppy for a 4cylinder, thanks to the VTEC engine. I love driving it everyday. Thanks Honda World Westminster.

ryan's review

Ryan Woods, 04/05/2002

rattles

Adequate Coupe for me.

Stevenchou77, 04/07/2002

Design, Interior, Exterior are excellent!!

great car for the $

sam324, 04/07/2002

My EX manual never disappoints me, it is peppy, stylish, and nice on the wallet. for the 16k or so i paid for this car, i cant really ask for much more. the honda reliablity stays, and im glad that it does. resale values are also terrific, again, i'm glad i bought this car and i love it

I love my new Honda

sue shaw, 04/09/2002

I have driven many cars in my lifetime and decided on the Honda Civic because it has always had excellent consumer reviews. It handles the road well for its size and with skyrocketing prices in gas I was pleased to pay $13.00 to fill it up and found that during the breakin period it is still getting 31 mpg in combination city/highway driving. A very big difference from our Van and a real pleasure to drive.

great car

Larry Dawson, 05/06/2002

I already own a 1995 honda civic ex. My 95 now has 122000 and I have had 0 problems with this car. No cluth, engine, or suspention problems. This is just an outstanding car and that is the reason why I bought another and will not buy anything other than honda.

A++++++

Eric Y., 05/10/2002

I love my AMERICAN HONDA CIVIC, it's got 56000 miles on it, haven't spent a dime on repair bills and 13 dollar max at the gas station using the most expensive (91 octane) gas. The power and acceleration is very quick for an economy car. I kinda feel sorry for the people that drive gas guzzling domestics with costly repair bills, hehe.

great car for the money

Bam069, 05/14/2002

I think this is a great car for the money. If you are thinking for purchasing this car, you would be making a smart choice.

Ritz's Review

Jritz, 05/15/2002

The 2001 Civic Ex is a great car if you are looking for a car that is dependable and gets great gas mileage. I keep track of my gas mileage and the worst i have ever done was 30mpg and the best was 41mpg. If you want a car that goes fast DONT BUY A CIVIC! I have not had any problems with it. So far SO good!

Great Little Car

Krisak, 05/17/2002

This is my first economy car after owning ford and chevy pickup trucks. The ride is very smooth and the the 1.7 liter vortec has enough power( remember that this is a economy car and not a sports car) so don't expect it to be fast. The rotors do tend to warp, So expect a pronounce shimmy while braking at high speeds.

This is a Honda?

ashleysandsamsmom, 03/17/2009

I just bought the car, I have had it a week and there is a vibrating noise in the front end when taking off or going up a hill. The dome light is bad and the fuel gauge is not working properly, the sensor is being replaced in a few days. The breaks are making a scrubbing noise. All of this has been brought up to the dealership they say all is normal but the fuel sensor and dome light! So to have this car for only a week and all these things to be wrong, that's not good. I thought Hondas were reliable and wonderful cars! It didn't come with a CD player and the windows you have to manually roll them up, I am lazy.

In Love With This Civic

Katy, 03/14/2009

I love this car! I never have any trouble starting it even in very cold weather, it handles great in the snow, it can be kinda noisy but I can live with that. The best part is that I get 36 mpg in the city and close to 40 on the highway! I've always loved Hondas for their durability and longevity and this car is no exception!

Love it too much to give up!

jess52006, 07/08/2009

I have had my 02 civic since it was brand new in 12/2001. I now have 104,000 miles on it. I love the 5 speed manual, makes it fun to drive. Only one major problem (brake booster $700 repair) since the few "new model quirks" were covered by original 3yr warranty. Average 38 mpg mixed driving. We have gone through 3 other cars in the life of this one and just can't give it up. I'll probably drive it until it dies (which could be another 200,000 miles!) Never once have had an oil change on time (like every 6,000 miles) and it's always at the correct level...even when I go wayyy over. :) I would recommend this car to anyone!

GOOD VALUE

j2cry, 06/07/2002

I purchased my 2002 civic ex with auto trans in december of last year. This is a great car for the price. I previous owned a 1993 ex. I am very happy and impressed by the improvements in the civic. The ac is very good for a car this size, and almost everything else from noise to ride quality is significantly improved. Honda did a good job with this one.

02 Civic coupe 5speed

drew Kramer, 07/26/2009

I bought this car right when I got my license, and I love it. I have a low paying job and that really helps me because I only fill my tank once every 3 weeks. The engine is pretty weak, and with my 5 speed I really have to rev it pretty hard to get up to highway speed. It is fun to drive, pretty nimble with good handling. The stock speaker system isn't all that bad either. I think it was a perfect first car for me.

Great Reliable Car!!

civicguy444, 09/14/2009

I bought this car new in 2002. I haven't wanted to part with it since then. Has been very reliable. I have just changed the usual things, such as tires, battery, etc. It still has the original brake pads. Stock tires weren't the greatest. I get about 40 highway MPG with 5 speed manual transmission, which I think is hard to beat!! Very happy with this vehicle. Wish all I have owned worked this well!

The best car on earth!!

1st place, 06/14/2002

The best vehicle ever, i love this car. So smooth, yet so much style, it grips the road, has enough power and acceleration to pass thos "fast" cars on the freeway or just around. You should really enjoy this car as much as i have. It's my baby!!

Decent

Stephen lavelle, 01/29/2010

I bought this car in December of 09 and i have had it for about a month. The car runs fine, But i am having tons of problems with the cars electrical system, the left side of the dash lights don't turn on. the dome light is broken beyond repair, my seatbelt sticks. the passenger door is hard to open from the inside. but it is a good car and very reliable

2002 2dr EX manual

brend, 06/30/2002

This is my 3rd Honda civic. I keep buying them because they have great resale values and they are reliable. This 2002 model is giving me 40 mpg nearly every tank and it feels like it has more power than the 99' I traded in for it, despite identical horsepower ratings.

Nice Car

Paul B., 09/05/2010

The car is very reliable;e so far although the struts needed replaced as the previous owner had speed bumps all over his apartment complex. Definitely not a race car, but still fun to drive and fun not to bring to the garage! (Very reliable)

I'm a believer

be_m, 07/07/2002

Having driven a Ford Mustang for the past 2-3 years I really wasn't ready to downgrade. When I bought my Civic I thought it was just the sensible thing to do. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it long ago. I love driving it and I love the way the interior is organized. It's a completely enjoyable experience to drive it everyday and, as it turns out, a total UPGRADE!!! Did I mention that I went from 19mpg to 36mpg?

Very good economical car.

Matt P, 07/07/2002

I have put over 10000 miles on this car now and I love it. It sure isn't a sports car but I can't complain about getting ~34-35 mpg...in the summer with my a/c cranking. I have to admit that the air conditioning system is a little weak but it is pretty decent for the size car. After school I plan on upgrading to a bigger car but this is good for now.

sick sivic

S_Elliott, 07/20/2002

I baught my civic as my first car. The thing now has a little ove 6000 miles on it. As you can tell i like to drive it. Its fun, has great breaks and an easy clutch. I have put many upgrades like intake, exhaust, wing, rims things of that nature. And the car looks so clean. I would advise of purchasing a new honda civic.

I love my Honda

Geebo, 08/06/2002

I have had the car for about 3 months now and I love it. It's by far the best car that I have had thus far. It handles well, it has excellent pick up, and I feel safe (especially with the crash test results). The only negative thing that I can think of is that the car is light. You won't find yourself all over the road, but you can tell that the bumps push you to the right or left a little. All-in-all, I give it a 9.4 rating. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else out there on the road.

Awesome car

RocketMan, 08/04/2002

I've driven this car back and forth to work 40 miles each way, 5 days a week, for the last 1 yr+. Pros: Awesome mileage (AVERAGE = 38) for any car, nevermind an Automatic!!!, tight suspension (contrary to what I've read) in that I can hug a well-rounded 90 degree turn at 40 mph, car exudes quality (kicks ass on any of the 3 Fords and 2 Toyotas I've had). Cons: Stereo sound just so-so (needs high quality bass-response for the EX), road noise (a bit loud for my taste), no center arm rest (the one that it comes with is a joke!)

Great Car

IWK44, 09/05/2002

Great Car, thats all there is to say!

Civic LX Coupe - Not perfect

Rafy, 09/10/2002

Overall, the Civic Coupe LX is a solid buy. I am dissapointed, however, with the build quality. While my Civic has been solid since I purchased it in May '02, noises, particularly a loud clicking, have developed. I have been to the dealer three times, and they have not been able to fix the problem. The Civic should definitely be on your shopping list, just don't automatically rely on the Honda brand.

Not quite a Acura CRX

ja_wood, 09/15/2002

I wanted something a bit sportier, but this car was a great compromise between styling and affordability. It gets great gas millage (EPA ratings are right on target), handles well, and has enough power to get over hills without a fuss. Don't get in an accident with this vehicle though, because although it does a good job keeping you safe, the damage to the vehicle is going to be expensive. Many of the parts cannot be easily repaired and need to be replaced (bumpers, shock absorbers, etc.)

great little car

mlbwaves, 10/10/2002

So far, my Civic has been very good to me. It only has about 2,000 miles on it and still rides like it is brand new. I hope to have continued success with my car and hope others go out and get one too. It has populated my town.

Deal deal deal

Dubs, 10/22/2002

After shopping around thoroughly I have found that the civic is the best car for the money and even for more money.Sure, the VW Golf GL looks better, but the handling, manual transmission, lack of armrest, price and cost of insurance make it less desirable. Before taxes and tags I got the Civic EX manual for 14,500 which is almost a grand less than the golf. Despite Honda's inexcusably poor warranty in comparison to every other maker. Compared to the Sentra, Corrola, Echo, Lancer, and Focus the car drives better, has quicker pickup, is more comfortable, has a better sound system, and comes with a great engine.

Loud ride

lindsay, 10/20/2002

When looking for an affordable, fun to drive car that gets great mileage, this is your car. I've put 18000 miles on in 8 months commuting to work with no problems. Although I do like this LX, I find it clunky going through the gears and lacking the kind of power I enjoy off the line. There is alot of road noise and ticking sounds coming from behind the dash and God knows where else. Honda should pay more attention to making a tight car.

51050