Used 2002 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Civic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Nice Ride

Bmo, 06/24/2004

Yup, bought a Civic 2dr EX. Just like them all, had front struts replaced under warranty. No problem now. Solid ride, good interior room with large enough doors to get in and out (other car is 90 Miata so this one feels huge...) Hauls lots of stuff when I need it to. Good in the snow or with sunroof open in summer. Driver gets wet when it rains and windows are down a little (wish it had rain rails) Outstanding reliability. I think I'll have this one for a while...

GREAT CAR FOR A GREAT PRICE!!!

Ashley Coulter, 07/12/2004

I bought this car in June of 2003 as a graduation present for myself and have been pleased with it ever since. This Honda is GREAT with fuel - I only have to run to the gas station once every week and a half, which is GREAT with my commute to and from work. I am very impressed with this car- I love it!!!

Great value, fun car

MichiganDan, 07/30/2004

My wife and I were looking for a new car, but I'm not partial to investments that lost 25% of their value in the first 10 minutes you own them, so we went with pre-owned. The 2002 Civc is a great car. Fun, stylish, and sexy to drive, it's as reliable as it can be -- no problems yet -- and it's quite affordable, too. If you're like us, and you want a reliable, affordable car that can comfortably seat 4 or 5 and is fun on the road, look for a Civic.

HONDA'S ARE AWESOME

CHRISDAVIS, 07/30/2004

TRY TO GET ANY OTHER VEHICLE IN THE SAME $ RANGE, CIVIC BEATS EM ALL, ESPEC. WITH THE MINOR MODS THAT COULD BE PUT ON THIS CAR. AEM COLD AIR INTAKE BOOST TONS OF TORQUE AND POWER. 17" ENKEIS WITH BF GOODWRICH G SPORT TIRES. AWESOME CAR JUST NEED SOME NICE ENKEI SPRINGS. AWESOME CAR THANKS HONDA AND DESIGN TEAM!!!!!!

Some thoughts....

paul, 12/10/2004

The Civic is of course a very popular car. We see them on the road all the time. There is a reason for this. They are just good cars that do everything pretty well. Are there similar priced cars with more horsepower? Yes. Are there similar priced cars with rear disc brakes??? Sure. But I find that this car is as close as a economy car gets to not really feeling like an economy car. With a manual trans you can work the engine a bit which like most hondas is weak on the low end but better in the higher revs. Suits my style of driving fine which is a bit more spirited than average. Was mad about the crap Firestones that were OE but changed them to Bf Goodrich Traction TAs - big improvement!

Reliability- HA!

fort, 01/24/2005

Has had constant issues with the emissions/ fuel systems. After only 20,000 had to replace catalytic converter - Honda offered NO help, and in fact tells me they just can't give me the normal trade in amount becuase the car doesn't run well!!!!

22,000 Mile update

nycom92-1, 03/14/2003

I've put 22,000 miles since my last review. I Love this car. It has great pep, I'm averaging 34 mil/gal. I just survived the winter with 4 Blizzak's (snow tires) without slipping once (even through 2-3 feet of snow). I agree that the insulation (noise) needs to be a little better, but otherwise, this is a great car.

Sexy Automobile

kbsexyman, 03/15/2003

This car is great, iv had it for 15 months and nothing has gone wrong with it. It is very dependable. Also the stock sound system is very good.

I love my AMERICAN built Honda

EEErock, 09/07/2005

While there are a few features of the Civic that still need refining overall I think youll find that this is a great car for the money. I didnt buy the car to get rid of it; I bought it because I knew it would be reliable and last a LONG TIME. Has it been reliable? At 67,000 miles performance is nothing less than flawless. My fuel economy is outstanding even with slight motor modification (40mpg hwy). I'm amazed at the lack of maintainance this thing requires - it just keeps going. The improvement suggestions below are significant but overly 'picky' when you consider the price of the car.

Decent Car

RHtremblay, 03/07/2006

I bought this car back in '02 Since then i have put about 102k miles on it. The car has been very reliable. However, the car is lacking in the performance department with only 126hp. The ride is also a little bumppy. Replaced the stock stereo system as soon as I bought it. Brakes lock up way to much and this car has ABS so i don't know the reason for that one. Car gets good gas mileage. Interior is breaking down a lot (faded, cracking, tears, etc.) I love the size of the back very roomy for a coupe. The moonroof is great on sunny days. Perfect car for roadtrips. Most reliable car ever!!!

Great Car

gary b, 10/02/2006

Excellent car... Never a problem... great gas mileage... good pickup on freeway ramps... great value for the money

amazing fuel economy

bisiu, 12/07/2006

i have the 5 spd...this car has been great... it has 55,000 miles on it... and i have not touched it except for oil changes. i would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a car that is good on fuel, $30 Canadian = 650 km's the gears are too long ... i can hit 65 mph in second gear at redline

good all around

pacey, 01/11/2007

i've had my car for 2 months now and have had no issues. lots of fun to drive, very good on gas. its not the fastest car on the road but is easy to pass cars on the highway. looks are excellent, audio is great.

good compact car

harleyd, 03/06/2002

Handling is so good. No wonder people call it sporty car

Great car

hondadriver, 05/09/2007

I drive this car about 100 miles a day and it does great. It gets better gas mileage than expected, 37/42. A little less with 5 passengers.

Great Car!!

OnestellarLove, 05/16/2007

I purchased my Civic used with 35,000 miles on it. I currently hit the 90,000 mark and had the Honda maintenance done, and it runs like its brand new. Haven't had any major problems, just typical wear and tear. Handling is great on the back roads around my house and don't even have to downshift to go up and down hills and around the S-turns. Great gas mileage, have made it to around 40-44 mph in daily driving (not highway). Definitely no complaints. Security features are FINE, car homes with a code that you punch in if the battery dies. Manual transmission is still shifting great and going strong. No problems with clutch, etc.

Great car, but not what they used to be

MichaelO, 05/09/2003

I used to own a '97 Honda Civic DX coupe, which is the stripped down model for those of you who aren't too familiar with the line-up. I now own a '02 EX coupe which is their 'top of the line' model. I must say, there have been some drastic improvements in those 5 yrs, as well as some disappointments. My '97 DX was supposed to be getting only 106 hp while the '02 EX is supposed to be getting 127. Still, the DX felt much quicker. The '02 also has a lot of little creaks and rattles on the interior. The last complaint is gas mileage. Honda claims 32 city and 38 on the hwy. I do a mixture of both and am lucky if I get 30.

Excellent car

tonyjosie, 05/01/2003

This has been a great car, especially on the gas usage side.

Practical, but no more

Sam, 03/07/2008

This car is quite practical, but has had a decent number of repairs. It gets good fuel economy (upper 20's) and is a sound car. However, if you are looking for a quick car, you've come to the wrong place.

Great Car for the value

rayv, 03/09/2002

I've been a Ford owner for years.I decided to take a look at Honda Civics and I was very impressed. Quality and workmanship is outstanding. I've only has owned my Civic for a few weeks now but overall it is a great car. Being a small car the ride can be a bit more noticeable on the bumps. The price was right with no pressure to buy. Check them out!! My only complaint would be with the options which are very expensive with little negotiating.

review

mark1234, 05/30/2003

great car!

Get Up and Go!!

RachelLeah, 06/02/2003

I really enjoy my Civic as a get me where I need to go kindof car. I do wish that it had a little more get up and go, but it is a great car and is very dependable otherwise.

Little Red Honda

William Smith, 06/02/2003

Wife and I drove it on a road tour from Atlanta to Montreal and Bar Harbor, MA. Comfortable for long runs, despite size. No problem whatever.

great car

ScottieEx, 03/13/2002

the honda civic is a great car if you take it for its true purpose: to be an well built and capable economy car. its not a race car, but its a car that will get you to your destination for years without problems and save you countless dollars on fuel. of course the car itself looks great and there is a good aftermarket for any modifications. any questions ponder at the forums of www.7thgencivic.com

Beautiful Car

Donell, 06/24/2003

I love the car. I do wish like all the other people that Honda would have put a little more power into it. The car is really light and is sometimes a problem to drive in rain.

Civic EX-fun

Marcus667, 06/28/2003

I find the Honda Civic EX to be well- made, with only minor electrical problems so far--a burned-out electric window switch. The pickup is fairly decent, although the handling isn't awfully forgiving of emergency maneuvers. Overall a fun drive.

The Civic of 02

Trevor, 03/14/2002

This is my second Civic after buying a used '96 Civic a few years ago. I bought the 2002 Civic EX in Black. The drive is very smooth and they've worked on the wind noise problem. When going over bumps and problems in the road, there the car adjusts to the road conditions making it better to drive. Besides comfort and drive, the best part of this car is the fuel economy. For a college student, this car is perfect because you put in a tank of gas and it's going to last you 320miles ++.

The Civic from a Technical Point of View

savou, 03/14/2002

The 1.7L EX has plenty of low end power for its engine size. I find its suspension too soft. This is a problem in high speed slaloms when the car doesn't seem to want to follow the line you are asking it to. In turns the car will typically understeer but by letting go of the gas pedal you can easily convert it to a pleasant oversteer. The factory tires are among the worst (mine came with Firestone). The Honda spoiler is quite anoying. It makes the car rear end look bigger than it already is and blocks a rather large section of your rear view. The car is very very reliable and the engine is a jewel. You can drive it right up to the redline non stop and it will always work perfectly.

I Love This Car!!!

jynni, 03/14/2002

I was in the market for a new car because I questioned the reliability of my 2000 Alero which had been in the shop three times and was close to running out its warranty. I wanted something that was reliable with good gas mileage...first name that came to mind? Of course Honda. Since I can't afford the Accord I looked at the Civic EX. The Civic delivers outstanding performance...its got quite a bit of zip for a 4 banger...and it handles much better than the Alero ever did, even when it was new. The dealer was wonderful...even threw in the floormats for free. If you want a good car, but this one.

Great, sporty economy car

scottie, 03/20/2002

THe honda civic ex, when mated to a stick shift, is actually a surprisingly sporty car. the engine is quite peppy and the vtec growl pleases every time. 0-60mph comes in roughly 8 seconds, which is quite good for its class. sure, its no racer, but thats because the fuel mileage and the comfort of the car is also far superior than others in its class. also, one cant go wrong with honda reliabilty and resale values. Thumbs up for the civic.

Tuned 2002 coupe

Leszek, 05/05/2008

I did only 15,000 miles on it, but I know the car since it was 1 year old. That 1.7 liter engine was almost all the time pushed to the redline. The car was tuned a little bit, but it was almost like glued to the road when cornering. 0-60 is about 8.5\9 sec. I owned a manual transmission and I had to rebuild it (with 90k miles on it) but only because of track use and power shifting ($1000). Around 90k miles I had to change all front bushings ($450) and shocks ($300) everything else works perfectly. I have experienced an accident on highway going about 60mph and I can tell you that the car is very safe. It just started to burn about a half quarter of oil for every oil change. Mobil 1 5W-20

What's not to love?

DarkVortex, 04/02/2002

I love my Civic. It gets great mileage, looks nice and clean, and runs great. Steering is crisp, acceleration is adequate, but could use a little more power, and the inside is just wonderful. Considering the car's price, I feel I got a lot for the money, and that it will last a long time. Very pleased.

51050