Used 2002 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Civic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great car

mnk716, 07/30/2012

I bought this car new 1/2002. It has been the best i have ever owned. Great performance even though only 115hp. Good in all weather and rarely gave me any issues. Recently traded it in at 175k miles as the A/C went and i didnt want to pay to fix it though it would have went for another 100k miles. Great MPG and reliability. Traded it in for a BMW 328i which is what i always wanted but i felt so bad trading it in.

This Car iS The BeST!!!

BiGDoG, 02/26/2002

Well I had no problems since I got this car. *Knocks on Wood* This car get excellent mileage. Its looks are apealing. I cant stop looking at it. Everyone should go out and buy one of these cars. I highly recommend it.

Good pick up, great gas milage

Diemos, 10/07/2002

the interior it seems to be made of very nice quality and I expect it to last. I purchased the EX because of the sunroof, better engine and 15 inch wheels. The stereo isent all its cracked up to be. They say its premium although, its stock... I suppose I shouldnt expect wonders, but at 3/4s volume it shouldnt crackle on BASS. Sunroof works perfect, its fast to. 15 inch wheels, are not even real rims, they are just hub caps.. a bit dissapointing until I saw my monthly payments. My stereo is broken, I may one in a million to recieve this problems as the dealership had never heard of it. The clock resets everytime I turn off the car

I love my Civic!!!

mp, 09/25/2002

I love my Civic! I had to say good bye to my 1993 HOnda Civic DX hatchback, because it was getting old. When it was time to buy a new car, I went straight to the Honda dealer and tested the Civics, fell in love with it and got one!!! The 2002 Civic is a great car! I love my Civic!

Excellent Bore

Orlando Civic Driver, 11/15/2002

Great fuel economy, ultra high reliabilty. Good interior room. Great all around car. But why does it have to look soo damn boooring?!? Is it a Civic? Accord?? Camry?? Corolla?? I can't tell. They all look like they came out of the same cookie cutter. The Civic is more like a Maytag refrigerator on wheels. It runs forever on almost no fuel, but how often do you say "Man, that's a cool looking refrigerator!"?

Don't buy without looking around

bonorch, 11/19/2002

This is my sixth honda I have loved them all except this one.The build quality is horrible the paint is thin . I have the silver it looks as if every part was painted at a different time.This car replaces a stolen Integra gsr.So I needed a car fast and ran to honda like I've allways done. Next time I will shop around.

You Can't Go Wrong

MW757, 11/23/2002

I've owned the car since October and got a excellent deal as the 2003 models were coming in. I love the reliability and build quality from Honda. It's fun to drive and it looks great. I went for Honda 5-spoke alloy wheels and the EX really looks sporty. I fell in love with the car after a friend bought a HX model. My EX has been great on gas mileage about 34 mpg. You really can't go wrong with a Civic. The sedans are nice too.

Excellent Civic!

Rutter03, 12/17/2002

i love it. its sporty, its cheap, and it gets you around and keeps green in yur pocket when it comes to gas. i race it sometimes, i wouldnt reccomend it to the person who wants a fast car, but its great, and its fun!.

Hands Down the Best

Guzwierdo, 03/01/2002

Thank You Honda! After owning a Ford for 4 years and waiting for the next thing to go wrong I finally have a car that does what it is supposed to. Gets me from point A to B with no fuss and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to maintain. It is a lot more fun to drive then I thought it would be. Also, Chezik-Sayers gets my vote for anyone looking for a new car.

transmission

goody2shoe1, 01/22/2003

i like my car overall. It gets good gas mileage and has pretty good pickup for a four. I did have to get a new transmission though it hadn't gone yet but they thought it might but it was under warrenty so they replaced it for free. Its worked great ever since.

A Great Car!!!

Scotty, 03/02/2002

This car is great. It looks great, drives well, and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I get 30+ mpg, and I love the sunroof and keyless entry. Very roomy, with a huge trunk (the two door is just as big as the 4 door, and almost as big as the Accord). I live in my car, and couldn't be happier. A Great car!

Don't expect too much

digitalworkhorse, 01/23/2003

This car is pretty much what I expected. I bought it for a to commute with since it has a good track record, and is fuel effecient. But it is hard to get excited about driving it. Take a close look at toyota corrola before buying the civic.

Holy cow this car is amazing!!

Bob Dole, 03/02/2002

This car is great, once I drop in an AEM cold air intake. It needed just a little kick and that did the trick!

Excellent Car

nycom92, 03/02/2002

This is my second Honda Civic. My first one was an '88 hatchback. The quality is outstanding. The shifter is smooth, no rattles or noises are noted. The engine is peppy (127 hp in EX)and the gas milage is amazing. It's fun to drive.

Fun commuter

Zap, 02/07/2003

The car easily achieves 37mpg avg. If I take it on a trip it will breach 40mpg. Car corners very nicely but Honda fumbled with the shock/spring settings on the rear end. Car feels a little too bouncy some times. Especially under higher cornering loads. All controls are well placed and convenient. EX stereo is splendid for a stock unit, especially when using the CD player. When it is cold, do hear a few creeks and squeeks. Sunroof slide cover has a minor rattle. Have had to go to the dealer a few times for 1) Side Airbag light, 2)persistant idle problem and 3) a rocking driver's seat. All of these have been taken car of.

owner

valarieli, 07/15/2003

I like it very much. It's an excellent car.

Civic- reliable, good mpg, bland styling

civic mania, 07/24/2003

I have had my Civic for nearly a year and this car runs like it is still brand new. The manual is much more fun to drive than the automatic, and of course, could use a bit more pick up. But how can I complain when I average 34-36 MPGs in the Washington, D.C. area? I opted for the silver coupe with side air bags, security system (insurance discounts on both), fog lights, spoiler, 6-spoke wheels, and sunroof visor(not neccessary). This car was great in the snow with the OEM tires. Did not get stuck once. Overall when you buy a Honda you know what you're getting a reliable, practical car at a decent price.

Great Reliability, But dont expect...

BrySobe, 08/06/2003

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX coupe. Haven't had a problem with it, and i refill the gas tank every 380 to 420 miles combined city and highway. Although my car is stick, it isn't a great performer. It is quiet, and has nice interior materials which is what matters most to me.

An excellent choice!

i3enny, 08/20/2003

My Civic has been a great choice among cars so far. I am a working, college student driving an average of 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year. I average 29-32 miles per gallon every tank. Its fun to drive, but it could use more than 127 horsepower. It currently has 21000 miles on it; I hear it should last until 210,000 miles... we'll see.

love it

cyop_42, 08/25/2003

Great car, fun reliable, sporty(sort of)However I have minor 3 beefs with this car, 1. damn uncomfortable seats not great for long commutes. 2. arm rest sux 4 inches too short, fixed for 2003 3. sound system could be better

My Dream Car

Brooke , 08/28/2003

This Honda Coupe has always been my dream car to finally own one and drive ona a daily basis has been great. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Overall I would never go a different route than a Honda Vehicle!!! Re sale value is also great.

Have Yet to be Disappointed!!!

Tom Rakip, 08/31/2003

I have had my '02 Civic EX Coupe for a week short of a year and love it more as time passes! The seats are very accomodating (I'm 5'10"/255lbs), interior is designed very egronomically, pretty peppy, nice drivetrain, excellent MPG (I average 31 MPG combined, right on par with the 31/38 claim). It has stood up very well for the mileage I put on it so far! I went with Eternal Blue w/Moonroof Visor, 15-Spoke Honda Wheels, Rear Wing Spoiler, Fenderwell Trim and Mudguards for looks :-)

Best Car Ever

vitalejd, 09/07/2003

Great car! Only complaint I have is that you feel EVERY little bump on the road, but I guess you would expect that with a 1850 pound car.

My best car ever!

HondaCub, 09/17/2003

I have always been a fan of american cars, until now. I bought my Honda, and I could not be happier. It is pumping out 167 HP with minor modifications, and still getting almost 40 MPG. I have taken it in road trips, and it is a blast.

Good and reliable, if a bit boring.

civicminded02, 01/12/2005

Overall a solid smaller car. It does everything well-enough. I am a bit disappointed with the paint. The color is slightly different between some parts...as if the parts were painted seperately. I have noticed this on quite a few (especially silver) Civics. Also, the (rear) suspension is overly bouncy, as if it is not damped well enough. Interior room in the Coupe could also be better, considering the size. Insurance rates are strangely high for a relatively low cost car. All of this being said, it is a comfortable, competent small car.

2002 Honda Civic Problems

Nathan , 10/18/2003

I bought a Honda Civic in late 2002 after reading good reviews in Edmunds.com. I was totally shocked to find out only months later that the "new" car came with serious problems. 1. Unlike my Accord, the plastic in the a/c vent of the Civic "sweats" and results in the rear windshield fogging. 2. The "break shift" produces loud sounds often when one breaks. Apparently these are problems that Honda is aware of and working on. However, a consumer like myself feels shortchanged!

Exceeded Expectations

chuck1hogs, 02/16/2005

Leased car due to special promotional deal...have driven it from KS to Los Angeles 2 times now and was impressed with the mileage, comfort and trip performance on all types of driving conditions and roads, mountains, etc..great car..no problems at all in the 3 yrs we've had it...ride is a little stiff, but thats just a Honda..the residual value is so cheap, we are purchasing it outright when the lease expires next month!! Great car.

The thieves like it too!

Eds Honda, 10/22/2003

The car is great. It looks good, there are several aftermarket products to choose from, and its economical. I've installed an aftermarket stereo, wheels (17"), tires, and the best damn alarm system you can buy. Thieves love this car. My car has been broken into twice since I purchased. (AIG insurance is the best!!). GET AN ALARM!

Civic - simple economy car

Nick, 04/12/2005

My 3 year lease on the Civic is up in a month and I'm glad that I'm returning it. I haven't had any big problems with it (only replaced ABS sensor under warranty @ 15K miles), so it's been a reliable car. It's definitely not a bad car, but I think there are others that are better (replacing it with a Subaru, which is AWD, more powerful, quieter, better handling, and more fun to drive). I like the fuel economy, consistently get around 30-35MPG (I'll miss that with the Subaru). Like when the VTEC activates in the higher RPM range (especially 2nd and 3rd gears), gives you a little push. An advice to anyone interested in the Civic: look at Toyota Corolla, Matrix, and Mazda3 before purchasing.

A keeper!!

HondaguyPHX, 11/09/2003

This Civic is my fourth Honda. I've driven them since I was 16 years old. I feel that the build quality has slipped a little, my Civic seems to rattle quite a bit over rough surfaces and I only have 33k on it. That is my only complaint about it. It's fun to drive, has good pep for 127HP, a smooth shifting 5-speed, and I like the way it looks. It also gets great gas mileage, and I drive it hard.(34+ MPG) Overall, you won't be disappointed. I work for it's biggest competitor and continue to buy Honda products. GO HONDA!!

Best car to make it really fast

Dudas, 03/04/2002

i bought civic because it never brakes and it is really fun to put thing into it when you put rims and exhaust or any other extras car looks like 20 thousand vehicle and always when you want to sel it you wont lose much money its just the best

Great

MMclaughlin, 06/01/2005

I love my car. Its fun to drive, fun to cruise in on. I have done a lot of custom work to the car & have found it quite easy to work with. I don't care for the transmission. It likes to grind into 2nd gear on occasion. The garages can not figure it out.

You Have Got To Love This Civic

LoveMyCivic, 10/30/2005

I love my Civic. It has had absolutely no problems and has run flawlessly. Love the style and the amenities that come in the EX model, like the moonroof and the A/C buttons. It has a powerful A/C that gets really cold and a super powerful heater. Tons of trunk room and is definitely built for 2, not 4 people. You can do it, but I wouldn't advise it.

Great car...

Dman7, 01/26/2004

Awesome car for the money. I have been plagued with interior rattles and creaks since I purchased the car. After about 5 times to the dealership, they finally fixed it and called it "pretty widespread". Disappointing, but I still love it.

SurvivorOfTheCivic

ISurvivedTheCivic, 12/13/2005

My Civic had been pretty good form the most part. This is the 2nd Civic I've owned after totalling my first in a rear-end collision. I still feel like I got a little less car for a little more money. I enjoy all the amenities that come standard on the EX model. The A/C is a freezer, heater is a sweat box, and it very manuverable. The 2 door model does not comfortably seat 4 at all. I am a college student and sometimes space is a need. The gas mileage is great. I feel like the quality of my first Civic, which was a 97', was must better than that of my current 02' model.

A Superior Car

sly98, 03/04/2002

This is my first car. Hands down, no contest, this is the best economy car you can get out there. It saves you money with the great gas mileage and maintenance costs. Plus there's the great resale value. The build quality is great. I have the blue ex couple and am very happy with my purchase. Have had the car exactly a year now. Just lacks that all out power, but it does have enough though.

Basic economic "sport" coupe

xdprez, 02/04/2004

This car is great for everyday driving. It gets great gas milage and is even a little fun to drive. It is a very reliable car and is put together very well. Interior design could use a little help as far as functionability. The radio/CD player is mounted far too high and angled upward. This is bad for anyone under 6' 4" tall. On sunny days you can't even read the display without leaning forward and craning your head up and looking down on it. This is of course not good when driving down the road. I knocked the rating on Interior Design hard for this because in this day and age, the stereo is a highly used item in everyone's vehicle.

Honda's May Last Forever, But...

HKI4EVR, 01/07/2006

I don't know what Honda was thinking when they designed the interior of the Honda Civic. They may run forever, but what is the point if you hate driving it? I have had to replace my stereo twice, my vents vibrate up and down as I drive, when the vents are set to come out at the floor only, I have to shut the rest of my vents to get all the air to come out only at the floor, and now when I push the button to turn on my rear defrost, my radio stations go fuzzy. Not only that, but what brilliant engineer thought that putting cupholders on the other side of the shifter would be a good idea? And what is the point of having an armrest that interferes with the driver's ability to shift?

Good Car

FlyGuyRyUCI, 02/09/2004

This is a great little car. Gets great gas mileage and and keep up in traffic. And Civics have a reputaion of being very reliable. I do wish that it had a little more power and handled a little better in the turns but this car is not a sports car. I just sometimes wish it were. I would have gotten an RSX if i could afford it at the time because I want a little more performance out of my daily commute

Biggest piece of crap I have owned

jayse, 02/13/2004

I really like the car minus all of the things that have malfunctioned with it. The fuel sending unit was replaced a month after purchase. The left front damper, left front stabilizer link and the right front strut assembly have been replaced. The AC compressor went out about 34 thousand miles, the alternator went out at around 41 thousand miles.

2002 Honda Civic

S. Lovett, 03/11/2004

After careful review for several months, I decided that the redesigned Honda Civic for 2002 was the automobile for me. I purchased my 2-door coupe in March of 2002, when the car makers were having wonderful finance offerings. I will have the car paid off after only three years - the resale value is big plus. My next car will be either a Honda Civic 4-door, or a 4-door Honda Accord.

Excellent car but the acceleration!

sang park, 03/06/2003

This car is great...my family have toyota corrola and nissan sentra. I could compare with these cars..but honda civic is the best.

MY NEW CAR

mistyinthe801, 03/12/2004

I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR AND I SO FAR AM LOVING IT. IVE READ REVIEWS SAYING IT HAS LITTLE RATINGS ON POWER BUT I AM VERY SATISFIED. I GET LOTS OF COMPLIMENTS!

Great Car!!!

PSU Jedi, 03/18/2004

This is a great car for a single person or a married couple with no kids or pets. There's lots of room for two and four can fit comfortably, though head room in the back is a little tight for full sized adults. The Civic is a fun car to drive, with great handling and plenty of pep.

Trouble with Civic ex 2002

candybar, 03/30/2004

Honda civic ex 2002 has had tons problems and has not been a good buy! Major problems out of this car. Engine problems with computer, steering, heat sheild, wont start at times and a ton of other problems..

Miss the Accord

Erica B, 03/31/2004

Use to have '00 Accord SE. but then got an civic LX after parents divorced. We've had over five Hondas, so we knew this was a good decision. But now a year and a half later, my feelings have gone downhill for the Civic. The performance is bad, paint is chipping, maint button comes on constantly, etc. I'd defintely love to have the '00 Accord back. Id recommend the 00 Civic instead.

Unhappy Honda Owner

Unhappy Honda Owner, 05/07/2004

Bought this car with dealer added options paying 5,000 over sticker. Bad decision! Not only does this Civic NOT have the comfort as my old 2000 Civic, it has depreciated faster. The same dealer will only give me 10,5000 for a car that list for 17k new, not to mention the add ons they don't give credit for, where the sticker on the old Civic was also 17k and two years later was worth 11,500.00 trade in and 13.5k-14.5k retail. 2002 Civic is uncomfortable for long rides, feel every bump in the road, doesn't feel as tight driving as the old Civic model, just has not been a good experience other than good gas mileage and Honda's usual mechanical reliability.

Whitney B. Walker

WhitneyCmachine, 05/17/2004

I got a civic because my previous car was an unrestored 64 ford mustang (that needed a lot of work) and I just wanted a car I didnt have to worry if it was going to overheat or use a tank a day. I go out of town often with my civic and even with 60000 it still gets almost 400 miles to the tank.

I love my honda civic, but

joanjean, 05/13/2004

I love my honda civic, but Since I bought it new in 2002 i have haad a few problems with it. At my 15000 miles check they had to change the strut. At 29000 they had to put in a new altinator. My defogger does not work well and who knows what else will begin to happen after the warranty runs out in a few months I have 33000 miles on it so 3000 to go I hope it last nice car but not as well built as I thought

Losing it's shine

Scooterberrycrunch, 06/07/2004

I have had no major mechanical problems with this car in 21k miles in 20 months, but it is literally losing it's shine. The paint seems kind of dull, I always thought it was applied rather thinly. Way too easily chipped and the body panels are showing lots of dings from rocks and parking lot incidents. Doesn't take much. My biggest concern is the rattle from the dash. It used to be intermittant but is now a constant nuisance. My car and a friend's '03 both share the same rattle from the exhaust near the muffler.

51050