Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2001 Honda Civic LX Automatic Sedan
By MotorStreet

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Civic is overall a good car, but the 2001-2005 Civic wasn't a really a good Civic. This version was a little too boring and the 4 speed automatic in our car makes it irritatingly slow and the reliability wasn't as good as expected. It hasn't been mechanical problems, but problems with quality. The plastics felt flimsy all along and the seats got worn out and small tears. Another issue is the shocks, which wear out and make the front end bounce under braking and acceleration. The brakes aren't good either, they take a long time to stop the car and the LX doesn't have ABS. These Civics are dependable economy cars, but the 2001-2005 versions don't impress in enough other ways.

Gas mileage, small dimensions, strongish engine, and good rear seat space.

It needs a better transmission, safety is a problem, really needs ABS, and just isn't interesting.

116k and still going
By KevinML

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Civic 2/04 w/42,995 miles. Been very reliable and great on gas, I get 37MPG overall. Change oil w/Mobil 1 synthetic and rotate tires every 3k religiously. Dealer for other scheduled maintenance according to manual. Very meticulous. Now I need new cat converter, new electronic load distributor and new seal for manifold leak. Total $2k. In addition I need new strut up front (replaced once when I bought car). Just as a warning to others. I didn't see these repairs noted in other reviews. This is first time car has needed serious repair. Overall, still a great car.

Reliable, great on gas, handles well. Great car for the $$

Better insulate from road noise. Rotors need to be machined every 25k. my '95 VX seems to have been built better and more reliable (if that is possible!)

Terrible Suspension and Transmission
By Brian

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Honda should recall this vehicle. Mine has been in the shop about 40 times and it keeps on having to go back in for suspension issues. Also my transmission was replaced under warranty with only 50,000 miles on it. In my opinion worst Civic made.

Gas mileage, cargo space.

Transmission, suspension. Reliability overall its supposed to be a Honda not a Ford.

civic ex auto 2001
By reyes1978

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got my vic brand new and the only problem that I had was the driver seat rocking back and forward, the dealer replaced the part and until now no problems was so ever. I do keep all my maintenance current,,,, great car!

gas mileage, friendly controls, moonroof, vtec! seats,

better suspension like the previous civic. less road noise

The Little engine that could
By Freddie Kwok

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this car brand new. Right now, this car has 132K miles. I never have any mechanical problem with this car. I usually take this car for long road trip. For instance, I would drive from Camden, Maine to Key West, Florida with this car. I usually get 42 MPG on highway (I-95). 40 MPG from Pennsylvania to Kentucky (Appalachian mountain man) No one cuts me off. I am usually the one that does that. Now, this car has really small engine, but timing is the key, you gonna know when to press the gas pedal and turn your blinker when you are doing 80 mph on the highway.

Responsive steering wheel, it is really fun to drive. It saved my life for many times on I-95. No kidding. I have Bidgestone Potenza tires to compensate the lack of ABS in my car. It worked.

I have issues with the suspensions of the car, but hey it is an inexpensive car. Make this little car tougher Honda!