Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Little car ever!
By peanut12538

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2001 brand new, I have taken it to a Honda dealer for all maintence. I love this car and it has never let me down. With 140,000 miles all I have done is very basic stuff and things that wear out like timing belts, brake pad, I've done my oil, brake fluid, and tranny fluid as needed and this car has never gievn me a bit of issue or trouble! It has been one very well built little car! If you follow the owners manual I think you'll be very happy with this car.

Great Gas Mileage and reliable to the core!

More padding in the seat!

Best bang for your buck!
By cycleguy1979

2001 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car almost 4 years ago, after heavily researching it. It had 120k miles on it when I got it, now it has 208k. It consistently gets
34mpg city/hwy, and 36 all hwy. Get the 5 spd manual, I hear the auto is gutless. The front seat is ok, but for a 6'3" tall man, i'm basically in the back seat. The engine purrs and has been 100% trouble free. Kinda loud at 75mph, this is basically a tin can on wheels. It's a great commuter car but as far as road trips forget it. I just took a 3k mile road trip and my wife and I were very uncomfortable. I'd buy another one in a second for commuting. Honda cars are the best for reliability and fuel mileage.

Fuel mileage(400+ miles) on a full tank. Maintenance is fairly low, this thing just keeps running and running.

Rear end of the car is a little bouncy. I wish there was a 6th gear so the engine wouldn't pull 4,000RPM's at 80mph. Feels like the engine racing on the freeway above 65mph.

Honda Civic 2001 - Driving for the long haul
By longhaul2001

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Honda Civic LX 4-Dr has gotten as high as 40 mpg driving to MN from IA.
My 1st year, a rubber piece on the front of the car fell off after 2000 miles (threw it out).
Brand new tires would slip on damp pavement (got rid of original Firestones within weeks of purchasing).
By year two, the transmission was shifting roughly and my mechanic used white grease to improve the action.
Headlights burn out frequently (replaced 6-8 times).
After 5 years, the electronics for the windows blew and had that fixed (not just a simple fuse problem).
The struts & bushings failed.
Besides all this, I have rolled over 180,000 miles & it has been reliable on many road trips.

The car gets 40mph on the highway depending on conditions. The price of $15K over 11 years ago has long since been paid for. I've driven over it over 180,000 miles. It has quite a bit of trunk space compared to my wife's newer 2011 Subaru Impreza hatchback. It has been our go-to car anytime we are looking to save money on gas.

Please improve on the quality and longevity of parts to include the transmission, struts, bushings, electronics, headliner (had to staple in place after 10 years), and please put better tires on new cars (not cheap and might I add dangerous Firestones that slip on slightly damp surfaces). Overall, this Honda has served me quite well albeit with some expenses in the past decade of owning it.

10 Years, 160K Miles, and Still Running Strong
By rtwoods

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car from the original owner in 2006 with about 100k miles. We now have about 160k miles and this Civic has been super reliable.

Simple maintenance only (oil, brakes, timing belt). A couple minor, weird issues: had to replace both automatic window regulators, throttle and acceleration are becoming slower.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this car. Plus I've achieved over 40 MPG on numerous flat trips.

- high MPG - great interior layout and night color scheme - super reliable with no high maintenance costs or problems - easy to drive - no floor hump in the middle of the backseat

- noisy interior - stick shift and throttle need adjustment - poor acceleration - uncomfortable seats - poor stereo system

its okay, not my other hondas
By josentoski82

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 01 for two years now, i bought it from a friend who was the original owner. It gets great gas mileage and i have put 50k on it in 2 years. seats are comfy, had the same air damn issues. and the struts are horrible. original owner had the tranny rebuilt at 130k to the tune of 2000 bucks. so you would think good to go. nope just turned 201k and the tranny is out AGAIN. Not on par with my 98 accord that had 235k original engine and transmission or my beloved crx. It has never left us stranded but i can tell that there is alot of common issues people are having. i was going to buy another civic but i am now thinking twice. spending $2100 in 2 years on issues not a great deal to me!