Used 1991 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Best car of the decade... and still going strong!
By Justin Rank

1991 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

I came across your article when looking up info on the 1991 Honda Accords. I have a 1991 Honda Accord station wagon EX (top trim level) and I LOVE it. At 187,600 miles, we’ve (my family) have only had a handful of small issues, I will get to those later. Here’s some history of this fine beast. In the late 90s, my grandpa was working for John Elway Toyota when he saw this car come in on a trade in. I am not sure how many miles were on it back then, but he knew it would be a great car and bought it. Unfortunately soon after he bought it, my grandpa developed lung cancer and died shortly afterward. The Honda Accord sat for several years in my grandmas driveway, with the sun bearing down on its brown paint causing it to fade. 2004 comes along, and at this point I am only 4 years old. My moms car that she rented (Toyota Camery) time was up and we needed a new car. My dad went over to my grandmas house, put in a new battery and it started right up. My sister and I were raised in that car. We still have Dora the explorer stickers stuck on the back windows hahaha. Throughout the years, we have driven that car over and over and it keeps performing well. My dad drives 42 miles each day to work. In order to keep the miles off, he switches between his car (2006 Ford Taurus) and the Honda. My dad drives all highway miles to work, and the old 4 cylinder may not be able to race cars on the highway, but it gets from point A to point B just fine. My dad makes sure to drive it very conservatively and carefully each day. My whole family loves our honda. My dad (whos a Ford man at heart) has been very pleased with the reliableity of the car, and how great it drives in snow storms (we live in Denver Colorado). My mom loves the handeling and how easy it is to get in and out of tight parking spaces with it. I have always loved the Honda, even before I could drive. Now with me driving it, I love the cozy feel of it, handling and the AMAZING heater it has, and just how iconic the car is. Everyone at my school all knows its my car because there’s simply just no car that looks like the Honda Accord station wagon. We love how we can use the honda to transport so many different things. With the back seats folding down, we move lawn mowers, small furniture and so on. But a 27 year old car is bound to have some issues. The back two windows don't roll down anymore (thanks to my sister and I breaking them as kids), the AC has had a leak in it for several years, so summer can be a hot time. The window washer pump has worn out. And some other small very minor issues. In that cars life, I can think of 3 major issues we’ve had with it, and two of them to do with oil leaks. Two years ago, a piece of the radiator that connects the hose to the actual radiator rusted off from 25 years of wear. We put a new radiator in it. Then while driving last year on a busy highway in Denver, the car just completely shut down..in the middle lane. After getting it towed to the shop, We learned that there had been a oil leak that had been slowing leaking oil onto the spark plugs in the engine. Over time this oil leak completely want through the wires and shut the car down. Fixed the oil leak and had to put in new spark plugs. Unfortunately oil leaks in cars in Colorado are not unusual due to the high and dry elevation, gaskets dry out faster and lose their seal sooner. The last major issue was a couple weeks ago where all of the sudden the transmission started slipping bad. We took it to a great mechanic shop that specializes in older Honda’s. They found a leak in the line from the radiator to the transmission that was leaking transmission fluid, therefore not getting enough fluid to let the transmission function properly. After flushing out the old transmission fluid and fixing the leak, the car had been driving amazing. Yes it does vibrate A LOT (mostly at stop lights) like you said haha, and unfortunately it is a hot item for theft. In Denver, Honda Accords are ranked #2 for most stolen cars. To wrap up this long story of my Honda Accord station wagon, It’s a great car and still running strong. As long as you take very good care of it, it will last. Great job to the Honda engineers who built and designed that station wagon. If you would like more info on the mechanic shop where we took the honda to, or pictures of it, or just more info. Feel free to E mail me at Jrank@myfrcs.org and I would be happy to get back to you with any questions you may have.

Beautiful engineering aero designs honda
By Mark u

1991 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

It’s a beautiful design taking you back in time to the great vision Honda engineering incisiones for the future of automakers

I became THAT Soccer Mom
By Alexis Dolan

1991 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

Love this car! It was my first (and so far only) new car when I bought it 24 years ago - I raised two kids with this car - from infant seats to pop-ups, coolers, first aid kits and extra clothes in the back for club team soccer tournaments, this car has never left me or them by the side of the road. I'm at 225000 miles and still never worry about jumping in the car for a road trip. Never took it to a dealer - too expensive. Have a long term shop that has taken care of it for the last 10 years. I have a 5 speed manual, and I love driving it, it is a dream car. Honda got it right with this one!

700,000 and still going 1 engine change
By J Emerson McGowan

1991 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

bought new in 91. Have had some issues over the years. Got away from the dealer repair charges... was killing me. Could not walk in there without dropping $600 min. Have found 2 good mechanics who keep it running. Interior getting a bit raggedy but, it keeps running. 3rd clutch but they lasted about 300k each. Some rust out around rear wheel wells and bottom of back door. I got no car note and I am happy. Just cant part with a car that keeps running. Probably bought a cheap bmw for the money I have put in it over the years. But, scumbag mechanics in the past have not helped. Now, thank god I have 2 great guys that fix my shorty and it keeps going. Need to fix the heater core now and the dash

handling, 5 spd, approx. 30 mpg still, headliner is not raggedy thanks to composite material

get me a million miles on it... stop dealerships from charging an arm and leg.

In the Family since 1991
By 91hondaaccord

1991 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

My grandparents purchased this beast in 1991 fresh off the lot on New Year's Eve. After they decided it was time to upgrade, they sold her onto my Aunt, from there my parents bought her for my sister when she turned 16 for $1500 (they only wanted $1000). Once my sister bought her own car the Honda was past on to me. She has 239,000 miles, and was just beautifully repainted (cost was almost as much as she was worth...). She has had a new transmission, A/C, and minor upgrades throughout the six years she has been in the possession of my parents. Great reliability, but gas milage isn't nearly as good as others (I'm getting low - mid 20s, but I driver her hard).

Great handling, visibility for changing lanes, roomy. Why don't they ever have the 2dr. coupe, LX model in Automatic as an option?!? Well thats what I've got.

It's quite low for me (6'4"). When my dad (6'5") and I are in it together we touch shoulders. I need to get a new radio, antenna, and speakers, hubcaps, and she will be better than new. Only issue I have with her mechanically is that when I start her and its cold (either outside or in the garage at school) theres a squeal from one of the belts slipping. I believe it's connected to the A/C, but the mechanics have yet to hear it and believe me...only issue is it causes some decent embarrassment when I'm in a lot of Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes at a university with tuition at $50,000+ a year. But she's mine and I love her!