2017 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

GMC Canyon
By Dwight

2017 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Great truck!

Great little canyon
By Les Letlow

2017 GMC Canyon SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is much more than a little truck

Love this truck!
By Mauwehu

2017 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Love everything except: somehow at 5’8” I have pushed the four wheel button control into the dash. Easy fix just pulled it out. I had to teach myself how to get in and out. ..... Bluetooth likes to wander between phones and devices so I have to shut off the Bluetooth on the devices I’m not using. ...... black beauty that seems like the clear coat is a little soft.Love the crew cab. Feels very roomy and the sound system rocks. I would buy it again. Love the truck.

Canyon 4WD Shift Switch Poor
By The Mill Man

2017 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

1st: Headlamp Switch and 4wd Switch on lower-left dash. Visibility poor because of steering wheel. Really have to move head off windshield and under steering wheel to see setting. Getting In/Out of truck I seem to bump switches with knee, don't really feel it. Must check every time. Leased truck for 6 weeks right now. Feel 4wd dragging when first moving. Look down and moved to 4wd-low. Was set at Auto or 4wd High. Must stop completely and reset. Same thing with headlight lamp switch. Get out of truck and thought I was in auto, find out I was in headlamp full on. 2nd: Best gas mileage average is 16.6. Between 0-40 miles/hour your lucky to get 8-12 miles/gallon. Rated 17 City - 21 Highway. Highway 18-20 miles/gallon. Can get more if you like playing lightly on gas pedal. Slow acceleration and coasting when reaching top speed. Really have to play with gas pedal. 3rd: Transmission shifting from 0-20 miles/hour not smooth. Must really barely touch gas pedal to get smooth shift. Otherwise truck revs from 1500/2000rpm to 3500 and quickly drops back to 1000 rpm. Truck jerks during that shift. My old 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trak much smoother. 4th: Purchased bed extender and double fold tonneau cover. Cover hold downs poor design. Very tough to clamp on brackets. Have to have dead aligned. If you open cover and fold, hold downs fold in and slide out of position. Took nail polish to mark correct spot. Still sometimes miss. Can see this plastic and extended screw mechanism breaking. Then with the bed extender, hold downs are behind the side bars of the bed extender. Fun getting in there. Dealer had no samples on floor. Was sorry I purchased. Even the service manager didn't know how to use hold downs. Bed extender when extended is tethered into tailgate latches. Cheap, won't last long. Again my old Ford designs much better. Tried to give GMC site my review, but could not find a link at the site. Too bad Ford doesn't make a truck this size again. Ranger too small, F150 too big and not as smooth a ride as the Sport Trak or the Canyon. BRING BACK THE SPORT TRAK!!

Beware the Chevy Lean!
By Andy Paul

2017 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Beware the Chevy Lean, surprising that neither Edmunds nor Consumer Reports has addressed this issue! I purchased a 2017 Canyon in October of 2017 after a painful buying experience with the local dealer. I was looking at the Colorados and Canyons based on their high ratings from Edmunds and Consumer reports and that they were US made. The following morning I noticed the truck leaned significantly to the left, almost 1" when I measured it in my garage. I took it to the dealer who put it on a rack and measured it at 3/8" and said it was within GM spec.s and it was purely cosmetic. I had the dealer take it out on the concrete at the showroom and we measured it at 3/4", dealer said slab could be sloped so turned truck around and put in same place and got 3/4" again. They contacted GM who said they were working on a fix and opened a case file and I was told to wait for a fix. A couple of weeks later I found out on the internet that this has been ongoing on Chevys and GMCs to the extent it even has a name, "The Chevy Lean". Given the years it has been going on, I am wary if GM is indeed actually working on a fix since they haven't fixed it after all these years. I called GM and a Senior Customer Service Adviser called me back. She said she didn't know automotive lingo or technology(Just my luck) but had talked to the dealer who said it was within spec. Case closed! My advice is to stand back 30' or so and check before you sign and drive it home because once you do it's yours and could affect your resale!