Used 2009 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

DO NOT BUY
By Chuck

2009 GMC Acadia SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

You will need to replace your transmission. Mine was $4800. Tons of electrical problems that are impossible to diagnose and drain your battery. I have to disconnect my battery just so it doesn’t die ovenrnight. The timing chain will eventually destroy your engine, probably another $5000. Headlights burn out every year or less. Horrendous gas mileage, I get maybe 15-16 and that’s being generous. Absolute waste of money even though everyone compliments the looks of it because it really is beautiful and can hold a lot of cargo. I can’t express how much I am disappointed with this GMC ACADIA. Don’t be fooled by its looks! Trust me! Money PIT! Don’t do it! And if you have one allready, get rid of it ASAP.

Don't make the mistake of buying a GMC Acadia!
By C. Allen

2009 GMC Acadia SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a GMC Acadia 3 years ago because I wanted a smaller SUV with captain seats in the 2nd row and an entertainment center. I bought a 2009 with 68,000 miles on it. I only made it a month before it was in the shop for repairs! Over the last 3 years, I have replaced 7 engine coils (the car only has 6!), 2 catalytic converters, struts, purge valve and much more! After spending $3,000 in the last month in repairs, I picked it up today from the dealership and didn't even make it a mile before the check engine light came on again and the car was acting crazy. Now, they tell me it's the torque converter and will be another $4,000. The car isn't even worth that much! Please don't make the mistake of purchasing a GMC Acadia for the convenience of the bucket seats and entertainment center (the DVD player also stopped working not long after I bought it!) I will never again own a GMC!

Has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned
By KLL

2009 GMC Acadia SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I have owned many cars over my 42 year driving history. Many with notorious reputations. My car has never been in an accident, has been maintained according to the owners manual, always used top tier gasoline and never abused. I have 121,000 miles on it.
Below is a list of the repairs that have been done to it. 5 catalytic converters, 2 steering pumps, 3 radiators, Engine removed to replace timing chain, Engine removed to repair transmission, 3 ignition coils, brake master cylinder, and 2 air conditioner compressors. At least once a year I have had to replace a headlight bulb which takes about two hours to complete. You have to remove the wheel and the plastic liner in the wheel well just to replace a light! The car leaks water if has been out in the rain on your left foot. I now needs new struts and a new CV axle. You get this car fixed and within a week something else is broke. I have spent more money on repairs and maintenance than the purchase price. I am now driving the last GM product I will ever own.

WHole Damn Car broke Down at 125K miles!
By Eli U. from NYC

2009 GMC Acadia SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is NOT designed to go past 120,000 miles, whether or not you have any factory warranty. Dealership purposely gives you runaround to find ways to void your extended warranty, and does not stand behind the vehicle they make. 120K miles the "extended mile Special warranty" went out on defective timing chains, and wave plates that cause catastrophic engine and transmission failure. replacement of EITHER engine or tranny are more expensive than buying another Acadia. At 124K miles the Timing Chain, BOTH Catalytic converters as well as Transmission and PCM. GMC refuses to acknowledge any faulty and cheap parts. I have had this car for a year, and it spent all but 6 months at a mechanic shop for one thing or another. Vehicle would NOT complete Drive Cycle for over 2000 miles as PCM was sending wrong signals to every sensor, Fuel trim Learn was shut off by the Computer, Os bank 2 was set to remain open loop not matter what, random antitheft codes came up and went on their own. Clear electrical issues goin on when check engine light flickers and then changes to stabilitrac and then turns off and then comes back on but NO CODES PENDING OR STORED ARE FOUND. GM refused to take a look at the computer to ascertain why and kep giving me runaround about appointmant (saying NOTHING available for over 2 months), and when vehicle was brought to them at 120K to check timing chain and all the psycho lights and codes that went on and disappeared- Gm mechanic told me car is a piece of garbage, that i probably crashed it as steering angle sensor code was on at that moment and that they had no availability to do anything and to make different appointment. THEN, when i did that they said nothing to be fixed as there were no DTCs stored for those parts and the codes kept going on and off as though they didn't exist, they could do anything as there were not fault codes related to anything i requested to check (timing chain, wave plate and PCM, anti theft and steering angle sensor). Sent me packing saying vehicle will learn drive cycle and be fine and if there are codes to bring it back. All the while been at various mechanics who could not diagnose anything wrong with vehicle and kept hearing the same thing from everyone: until the monitors are all reset, we wont be able to see what is wrong. Keep driving it to see what comes up. so i did as GM technicians told me same thing over and over. At 125K miles: first code (that didn't vanish) pops up for timing chain failure and multiple cylinder misfire- GM said i have to pay for it myself as i am out of warranty and i should have brought it to them before 120K miles. Never mind that i did and they turned me away. As soon as that repair is in, my car WOULDN'T pass inspection due to computer issues as i had to re-complete drive cycle (not that it ever completed to begin with after those 4000 miles everyone told me to drive. Is it customary to build a vehicle that requires 4k miles to reset monitors and test for emissions? NOw Dealership says they cannot help and wont do it. but they'd be glad to replace my windshield and seat belt for free... disregarded again. two weeks later, (Of course) find out my Catalytic converters are shot now as the PCM kept O2 bank 2 sensors in CONSTANT OPEN LOOP and one cat was doing the work for both and exhaust manifold cracked (engine was fine checked during timing chain replaced). O2 sensors, Catalytic Converters and Exhaust manifold replaced (another $2k). less that 100 miles later car stalls, wont engage into drive and goes into limp mode (still trying to pass DAMN INSPECTION). crawled to the mechanic for two more lovely codes: P0700 and P0777 (basically the Transmission failure MIL, and Solenoid B is stuck in ON position.) MIL turns on and off by itself this entire time. But when mechanics goes to check to see if reverse gear will engage, the car drives perfect and shifts normally. Mechanics (several i took it too) say that Tranny will need to be replaced as Wave plate for 3,5, R gear is the likely culprit leaving debris that prevents solenoid from functioning but MIL turned off by itself and has not come back on. (something Else Gm told me to go F* myself about). Estimated cost: $2000+ when (not if) this part finishes going or the computer blows it to hell. Cheaper to set the car on fire as even after those repairs, the computer issues hasn't even been touched (computer reads catalytic temperatures at 915 degrees? and temperature scanner reads them at 350-400 when car running at normal temperature. and sending random signals to sensors and wont pend or store any DTC codes) my 67 Impala runs better than [non-permissible content removed] with minimal maintenance. This prissy car needs an oil change every 2000 miles because of GM manufacturing bull. Cant even trade this POS in. I have always been an avid GM/ Chevy lover, but this car is garbage and GM will not help you in any way. You are on your own with this nightmare. Will NEVER buy GM again

Transmission issues
By Kiley R.

2009 GMC Acadia SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After having my 2009 GMC Acadia at the dealership for a month with transmission issues it is once again going there. After the check engine light came back on exactly a week after having it back. I used my neighbors diagnostic tester and the code P0700 came up. So it’s being towed back tommorow morning. I have been trying to contact gmc for weeks since day one and nothing. A customer service rep called and left a message so I called her back and I haven’t heard anything back. So I emailed GMC and now I am writing a review. I don’t want to shame the company because gmc is a household name and it used to be good. I read that if you continue to try you might get a response. I hope it works. I would like to resolve this ASAP this car is my main vehicle for my family.
*10-02-2018 UPDATE
My car is back in the shop again with the sputter issue. In March we spent close to $6,000.00 on trans/catalytic converter repairs. We thought it was fixed. I just dropped it off this morning after contacting the dealership and gmcs customer service. On the bright side they helped me get a loaner car to drive my kids back and forth to school.
UPDATE 10/4/18
I have my car back. It was the coil pack and a spark plug says The dealership. So far it is running okay. I will update if it happens again.