Used 1994 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Tempo

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Hay it was a free car
By Red Neck

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I got this car for free from a lady, it was in bad shape. I fix cars for fun, so I took the car. Well $1,950 later, and tons of cuts later and it runs as good as it is going to for the high high miles on it. When anyone ask me about my car I say "The only thing I pass is the gas station". I say for a high school kid this car would be good, it taken a beating keep on running, just don't run into the curb faster then 5 mph, you'll bend the body.

Just that I pass a gas station, has not left me on the road and that my A/C works.

Let see, automatic seat belts. The 2.3 L 4 inline HSC motor seal gives out easy which means replacement at least once, and oh, it leaks oil from oil pan still when I did a gasket replacement but the TSB helped with that.

Avoid
By Dave

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

This car is trouble. I've replaced 4 tie rod ends within a year and a half and three ball joints within the last three months. It had a run-in with a hit-and-run driver and I had to replace the grille and headlight area. This car was designed by a moron: it took an hour to replace the grille (compared with 10 minutes for my 92 Buick Skylark). Inside it's OK. Fuel: I got about 26 mpg when the tires were aligned and the ball joints and tie rods were OK and it wasn't burning through mass air flow sensors. Don't save the money or the gas. Also, the driver's side seatbelt stopped moving on its track and had to be replaced. In short, don't get this car.

Decent gas mileage, love the acceleration in my standard, but maybe it's been too long since I had a real car.

Fix the design flaws. Put the oil filter where normal people can reach it. Design the body so it can be easily swapped out if it gets banged up. And don't use those automatic seatbelts. Anything automatic tends to break.

Wonderful car
By Cindy311

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It handles well, isn't bad on gas mileage. Mine just got totaled in an accident and I'm very upset. With about 144K miles, it still cost me just routine maintenance! 5 speed manual transmission, brakes, engine, power steering, EVERYTHING original equipment. HIGHLY recommended.

Manual transmission. Only my second manual, handles very well on hills, smooth transitions between gears.

Little "sporty-er" looking.

Commuter car
By Serega

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Hi all. I bought this car with 140K on it two years ago. What can I say - if you expect this car to be a lot of fun then don't buy it. The only advantage of this car is its price. Don't hope for high mpg - it consumes gasoline in large amounts. 3 speed automatic is paired nicely with a low-end torque 4 cylinder engine. Probably this is the reason why the transmission survives that long. The car overall is quite reliable if maintained properly. So, my conclusion is: if you need a bit just a mean of transportation from A to B and you never drive at high speeds - then this is a car for you. Otherwise, steer clear away it.

Low end torque engine, cheap, quite roomy for a compact.

Noise isolation, 4speed AT, 6 cylinder engine, and more.

Car has gotten me through a lot!
By Jelly Belly

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for two years now and it has been great so far. I bought it for $1200 with 156,000 kms. It now has 230,000 kms and it's still going strong. The only problems I've had with this car have been minor. I've done regular oil changes. Tie rod ends have had to be replaced but the parts don't cost too much. It's gotten me to a lot of places. The experience I've had with it is that it's a reliable car. I mean it's no luxury car by any means but it is a good cheap car. Never had any problems with it starting up in the cold weather either. I'd recommend the Tempo for anyone looking for a cheap car.

Cheap and reliable.

Tie rod ends seem to a problem with all these cars.