Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My little car Billy!
By Brooke Smith

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I rolled little Billy, going on 3 weeks ago. My air bags did NOT deploy. But, my only injury was my neck and knee.

Best value I've ever had in a car
By Benzin

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Focus ST with 168k miles, traded it in at 268k miles. Only thing to go wrong was a wheel bearing; everything else was routine wear items and preventative maintenance. Some surface rust started to show on rockers, but no where near as much as a typical car in 12 years in the rust belt. Despite all that wear I still saw 27 mpg highway. Get up and go was not bad for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, the 5 speed transmission shifted smooth and the clutch was progressive and quick. Steering was dead on and tight the life of it. Car was comfortable for my 6'2" frame even on long trips, Power windows and moon roof always worked smooth, no switches cutting out or slowness or chatters. It even had a nice stereo. I only got $500 on trade because of the mileage, but I would recommend a Focus to anyone in the market for an economy car. If I wasn't so bored of FWD I probably would never bother with anything else.

Great Car!!
By Cherry

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 11 years and I love it. I have kept up the maintenance on it and it has been a very reliable and dependable vehicle. I've had absolutely no problems with it. I expect to have it for years to come.

Ford actually got this car right
By Spencer

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Early on Ford definitely had a spotty record when it came to building reliable cars. The early Focus models were popular when they came out, but they were littered with reliability issues. 2005 included a major overhaul of the design, engine, transmission, and interior. This car was bought in 2006 with 27k miles on it. I've since racked up over 145k with minimal problems. The engine/transmission mounts failed early on, but were replaced and since have been fine. The only other major repair was the air filter. The air filter built with this car will more or less fail around 100k, and I replaced mine with a K&N intake to resolve this issue. Apart from that, everything else has been routine.

Good handling, peppy, and cheap!
By Justin

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this focus so I could gift my 2005 Mercury Mariner to my wife to haul the kids around. It is my third focus and I have loved all of them. The worst part would be the cheap interior materials and the layout of the armrest and cup holders leaves a bit to be desired however.....the engine and 5 speed make those issues simply minor annoyances. Its a 2.3 and it feels faster than it is. It grips the road well and goes where you want it to. I know its boundaries like any car so I have a lot of fun driving it and its a cheap reliable car. I bought it with 119k miles over a year ago and I currently have 141k and the only problem I have had to change was the front brakes, rear wheel bearing, and the alternator. All these things are normal especially a car its age so I don't count those as faults. I would love to upgrade to the Focus ST or wait and get the RS but financially I will stick to my little silver bullet.