Used 2013 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Great design, BIG room, electronics nightare
By David

2013 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Vehicles owned (personal and/or business), all bought used in the last 20 years, all run to death with hundreds of thousands of miles on each: '99 Honda Odyssey, '00 Odyssey, '04 Toyota Sienna, '96 Audi A6, '02 Audi S4 Avant, '00 BMW 528iT base and '00 528iT Sport, Porsche 911s ('74, '84, '05, '07, I kept the old ones!), Toyota '12 Prius V, '11 Prius, '04 Volvo V70, GMC box trucks, Dodge pick up truck, and sooo many more. I swore I'd never buy another minivan with electronic doors (all a freakin' nightmare of problems). Solutions for AWD 7 passenger vehicles with any left over cargo space are pretty limited with many decent performing SUVs offering very little cargo space when loaded with 6 or 7 passengers! By the numbers, Flex stomped all the competition (besides HUGE silliness like a Suburban) and it drove much like a quality euro wagon with well damped suspension and decent (actually, really good) handling without the higher center of gravity in vans and full SUVs. All sounds good, right? Until the rear door sensor started to insist a door was open (sometimes not allowing interior lights to go out)... OK, no biggie, fixed under "certified" warranty requiring both the sensor and the internal door part of the equation as well. 3 months later the other rear door did the same thing... woops, 1 month out of the EXTREMELY LAME 12 month certified warranty. Sorry pal, no help from the dealer. Still minor issues (though what happened to simple buttons for door switches???!!!). BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE... The stereo/audio, blue tooth (all sound) ceased to work! Integrated system with My Touch or whatever (which wasn't a great feature to begin with)... then it got worse! While my wife was driving 90 minutes away to the airport to pick up her sister, the stereo turned itself on at full screeching volume crackling and popping... and wouldn't respond to volume control or turn off! Not even when the car was turned off. She was hysterical and sort of screwed! From a distance, I called a Ford dealer near her location who referred me to a car audio shop (!) nearby. There they lifted the battery terminal, waited a few minutes and reconnected and the radio was off. There's a fuse for the audio but they didn't have time to find it (after closing hours). Tech (late for a parent/teacher conference) showed my wife what to do with the battery and even gave her the wrench (nice people)! Local dealer says? Oh, at least two hours labor to diagnose... ummm, nothing to diagnose, the entire infotainment unit has to be replaced. Ordered a used one (salvage yard) for $200. We'll see how that turns out. Between complicated drive trains, silly transmissions, automatic electronic doors, electronic "driving aids" (uh, learn how to drive!), connectivity, blah, blah, blah, you can't buy a late model vehicle that isn't plagued with non-stop issues, both minor and major. Sad state of advancing automotive electronic "growing pains" we live in. I'll stick to my '98 E36 M3 and '00 528iT wagon. Still not real major issues (engine, tranny and the like), but ("trust your instincts") I fear I may have purchased my first lemon in 45 years and even though I'm fixing these issues, she is totally turned off to the Flex and has severe stereo trauma being constantly afraid it will happen again. She's currently driving her old '04 Sienna with 210k miles on it (I kept it for awhile as a back up vehicle, no fool am I!) P.S. - The vehicles needing the least major/minor repairs? Our '12 Prius V (not a dime beyond tires, brakes and fluids in 150,000 miles), the Sienna (once I shut off the power doors). I'm a German car freak, but Hondas and Toyotas truly earned their reliabilty reputations. Unfortunately, from my research, the latest models and newer versions appear to be subject to the same technology "growing pains" and complicated system failures as every other manufacturer. Final thought - buy low mileage garage queen vehicles from the 90's and early, early 2000 years. Put a blue tooth to radio device in and motor on!

Love My Flex!
By Theresa

2013 Ford Flex Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I wasn't sure at first that I liked the boxy look of the Flex, but then I drove it. It drives like a Cadillac with such a smooth ride. We have 3 kids and 2 dogs and we all fit comfortably. We even spent the night in it once on a road trip. I love that it has plenty of room, but is not a huge vehicle. We travel often and so we wanted something that was relaible, good on gas, yet roomy and we found it. We've had it for about 3 years now and have not had any issues.

Flex - able
By George Posada

2013 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great car. Great utility. Excellent build quality. Traveled the western states without a glitch and in comfort. Kids are grown. Hard to let go, yes of the car and the kids.

Become FLEXible in your opinion of this vehicle
By STACEY CURTISS

2013 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Absolutely love this 2013 Flex!!Only sorry we didn't switch from a full sized truck sooner. Thought we needed the truck for its ability to haul, etc., but the Flex is satisfying that need. Gets better gas mileage, and the costs of operation aren't a stress to our budget.

Love me some boost
By Aaron Dowdell

2013 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Great power, great hauling, love it. I was a little concerned about the temperature controls not having buttons and being touch, but it has worn very nicely with no noticeable wear and tear over 100k miles. The air conditioned seats are a bit flaky, but over a 100k miles and has needed nothing except tires and alignments, oil and air filters, and windshield wipers. Car seats are a bit of a struggle especially when you have 4 of them and have to climb into the back seat to buckle the kids, or worse remove and install the seats. The low roof makes it difficult to fit your body on top of the car seat to reach down into the nether regions to connect the straps. Once connected though the kids have no problem getting in and out and operating all the buttons to do it themselves. In the busy city sometimes you just need some grunt to get the thing moving and the AWD ecoboost does that with zero complaints.... Need to hit that hold in traffic as it flows past? No problem, it squirts with the best of them. In a drag race it launches a bit soft I suspect that is to protect transmission and other drivetrain bits, but past 20 mph she really digs and goes.